MPJG!

TT02 Speed Run Project

Hey, 

I thought i would open a build thread for the new TT02 speed run build for anyone that wants to follow along with the mission to 110mph. 

The starting point is a 90% stock TT02. Will be running a alien power systems 4.5t motor with a team orion vortex r8 130amp. Starting off on 2s to see how far i can get it with the smallest battery. 

Other upgrades so far are the alloy prop shaft and alloy motor mount. 

Also cant forget the contact foam tyres to keep the grip on the runs. 

Hope you enjoy following along to the updates, i know there is people that have already been to high speeds with the TT02 but i find the testing and problem solving the best part. 

20200504_145758.thumb.jpg.387a51814c88d93f584c5d3a55467106.jpg

Marc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Watching..this is cool.  A couple questions:

Where and what surface do you plan on a speed run?

Aero - At that speed, aero is going to be a huge factor.  Have you done any research for a body with a low Cd?  I'm looking at that green body, thinking the wing will add a lot of of drag.

4 minutes ago, Chad1376 said:

Watching..this is cool.  A couple questions:

Where and what surface do you plan on a speed run?

Aero - At that speed, aero is going to be a huge factor.  Have you done any research for a body with a low Cd?  I'm looking at that green body, thinking the wing will add a lot of of drag.

Hey, thanks for following the thread. I have a road that I go to at my work, its a long straight that is pretty much nice smooth tarmac. 

I have looked at other body shells but for now I am curious to see how fast I can get it along with making it look as standard stock as possible. For the wing I have carbon fibre ordered so that I can make a flatter wing to fit on

Looking forward to this... about to jump into a TT 02 build myself... Good Luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Novtec1 said:

Looking forward to this... about to jump into a TT 02 build myself... Good Luck

Thanks, you will enjoy the TT02 build, such a good platform to build and upgrade

Not much to update on this, put a alloy prop shaft in and started measuring up to make a top deck when the carbon fibre arrives.

Tempted to make a carbon fibre undertray aswell just to see what the difference would be. Suppose it would turn it into more of a pan car that a TT02. 

Got to test the TT02 a bit tonight. Noy enough to get any real speed but managed to get 43mph on about quarter throttle so promising numbers. 

Stock 82t spur gear and 21t pinion. High speed gear set on its way so i can change the gearing up a bit. 

IMG-20200515-WA0000.jpg

Got a couple of updates, fitted the new 68p gears. Running a 82t spur and 45t pinion.

Found a shell that i am going to get sprayed and fit. Looks pretty aerodynamic ( well more that the standatd TT02 ) 

Locked the front and rear diff using silicone

Mocked up an upper deck with carbon fiber. Need to wait until my thicker carbon fiber arrives to make the proper one. 

Tamiya high speed gear set fitted

Teflon coated bearings all round

CVA mino shocks fitted

Thanks for following

Marc

ProtoformVittoria-1.jpg.50a72addcd2ae51f2c43d5c87fdde7f8.jpg

20200521_182619.thumb.jpg.15c39e95f19c863e49d0335463097f59.jpg

• Like 4

Very interested in this build. I have a TT02 Type-S that arrived a few days ago, and I'm curious to see how kv's and gear ratios affect this chassis. 

Also, I know this is probably overkill, but have you considered using dish-style wheels instead of spoked wheels? From what I know the spokes will generate some drag.

@DeadMeat666

I have though about dish style wheel but they are very hard to find in foam tyre form ( or it could just be me that hasnt found them ) 

Had the car out for a test tonight. The steering just does its own thing. Going to upgrade the steering mechanism as soon as i can get parts to see if it helps any. 

The Kv and gearing seems fine so far, ran for about 5 minutes with plenty of hard acceleration and the motor was hot but not overly so going to go up a bit with the pinion. But on the upside tonight i upped my PB with the chassis to 48 haha 

• Like 1

Hi ya.

Really cool thread. Loving the cool body shells :) 

Quick question, which will be the best chassis for speed runs - TT02 Type S or F103GT? 

Both have Absima Thrust 1:10 Brushless ESC and 10T Motor Combo, so are pretty quick.....

Any advice gratefully received. 

Thanks 

Dan

20 minutes ago, Banana man said:

Hi ya.

Really cool thread. Loving the cool body shells :) 

Quick question, which will be the best chassis for speed runs - TT02 Type S or F103GT? 

Both have Absima Thrust 1:10 Brushless ESC and 10T Motor Combo, so are pretty quick.....

Any advice gratefully received. 

Thanks 

Dan

Hey Dan, 

I am not to sure on the F103GT chassis as i haven't ever had a play about with one. Same with the TT02 type S chassis. I know it differs from the TT02 but not sure on how much they differences make. 

If using the F103GT you just have to be a bit kinder to the throttle with it being a RWD,  Also with it being a basically direct drive to the back wheels could work out as an advantage. Less energy losses in the drivetrain than the TT02. 

Best thing to do it strap a gps to the cars and give them a run each. 

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the advice. Lots of detail here. Clearly, you know what you are talking about 

I've given the TT02 chassis a burn and I managed to get to a rather poorly 21 mph. I've just bought some Lipo's which hopefully will make a difference. 

I totally agree about the F103GT chassis, she twists all over the shop until you get some speed up. But, I know she WILL be fast.....

I am looking for a quieter road at the moment and regarding the GPS, i'm strapping my phone to it at the mo :)

Cheers and thanks 

Dan 

• Like 1

Got out for a quick run this morning and got 87mph. Still a long way to go but not to bad for a basically stock TT02. 

Didn't take a camera with me so don’t have the speed to get into the speed run thread but there is always next run. Got some tuning to do then back out or a another run. 

• Like 2

Been a while since updating this but finally got around to fitting an upgraded steering setup. 

Need to add a bit of weight to the front end to stop it lifting then time for some speed runs 

• Like 1

I've heard that one drawback to high speed runs with the TT02 design is the slop in the steering linkage.  What was this upgrade all about?  

As for adding weight to the nose...it seems like a supplemental wing  on the nose might be a better choice.  You probably wouldn't need much. 

I just did a quick Google search to find the Kv of a 4.5T motor... is it really 9300kv?!  That's pretty wild. 

I've have a Arma Typhon motor in mine which isn't a great match.  It's something like 3300kv.  I've been messing with gearing and with the highest speed combo with 48p gears that I can fit, I'd guess that it's around 50mph.  Not great. 

2 hours ago, Smokescreen38 said:

I've heard that one drawback to high speed runs with the TT02 design is the slop in the steering linkage.  What was this upgrade all about?  

As for adding weight to the nose...it seems like a supplemental wing  on the nose might be a better choice.  You probably wouldn't need much. 

I just did a quick Google search to find the Kv of a 4.5T motor... is it really 9300kv?!  That's pretty wild. 

I've have a Arma Typhon motor in mine which isn't a great match.  It's something like 3300kv.  I've been messing with gearing and with the highest speed combo with 48p gears that I can fit, I'd guess that it's around 50mph.  Not great. 

Yeh the stock steering is a bit naff. I got a fasttrax steering upgrade but there was soo much play in the are i ended up keeping some parts of the fasttrax steering and fitting some of the stock steering. No slop anymore. 

Yeh its a fast wee motor. Dont know how long it will last though haha 

I use 64dp gears in mine, currently running a 70t spur and a 27 pinion. Did have to alter the gear cover to fit them in. 

• Like 1

After two and a half months I crossed into triple digit numbers 3s last night. I had been stuck in the high 90s for a while.  Went with a lower KV motor and taller gears.  That was my problem. Just needed to share my small triumph. 

420AB096-1CBD-4739-B9B1-A94DD876918C.png

• Like 3