Sign in to follow this  
PaulRC10

Wild Dagger oil shocks

Anyone upgraded to oil shocks on a WR-01 chassis?  Preferably with longer travel than the stock ones.  
I bought a resto project off eBay, aside from an ESC, bearings and TLC I can’t think what else this truck could benefit from, any ideas to share? 

Thx!

I haven't upgraded the shocks on mine but another upgrade you could think about is the 4 wheel steering mod. Really easy to do 

• Thanks 1

There are various long shock tower conversions available online.  These allow you to fit 100mm shocks.  More suspension travel and better damping.  You can go for ebay special 100mm alloy jobs, Tamiya CVAs, buggy rears or any of a growing number of 100mm shocks for the scale / crawling market.

I designed a set of WR-01 towers that have various shock mount positions and will accept 100mm or 94mm shocks (or give you an option of dropping ride height) - the designs are with Fibre Lyte pending a price on a set made in carbon fibre.  If you're prepared to wait a while they might be available to order online.

• Like 2

As for other options - as stated the 4ws mod is fairly easy, you can make adjustable top arms using threaded rod, you can fit 8mm front caster blocks to improve steering geometry or you can go crazy and make a custom chassis.  Here's a link to my pro-mod WR-01 project.  The chassis may *possibly* be available to buy later this year, pending production costs.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.   Hadn’t thought about 4WS, sounds dramatic but fun! 
@Mad Ax I need to restore it anyways so I might do it stock with 12T ESC and a couple of 24+T motors, prolly brushed and run it to get a feel / baseline, plus check out the 4WS mod.  Those towers sound interesting, I could be interested in those - I guess will all depends on the price not being too nuts, Fibre Lyte have been pretty reasonable in the past.  Fingers crossed. 

Fit the metal shock towers you find on eBay and some 85-95 mm shocks. It transforms the model. 

I fitted a set of the fibre lyte towers and found them very poor. The cutting out was poorly finished and the holes were to far in board so the shocks hit the tower. 

The trick with these is to get quite soft springs so a good 1/3 of the extra travel is in sag, you can almost get them cornering like a motorcycle leaning over without rolling 

• Like 1

Restoring mine atm, taller shock towers from eBay and piggy back shocks

BFF1DDD6-F943-476C-9E0F-16C8B160416D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice.  I’ve ordered Shocks and Towers.  Look like a good upgrade. Anyone got any feedback on the 4WS mod?  Won’t it be unstable at speed? 

3 hours ago, Cephas said:

Restoring mine atm, taller shock towers from eBay and piggy back shocks

BFF1DDD6-F943-476C-9E0F-16C8B160416D.jpeg

Love the piggy backs!  Alloy hubs also. I was just gonna do the hex’s. Hmmm..