CoolHands

Is facebook full of showoffs?

13 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Social media is full of idiots

unfortunately these platforms with minimal control allows the self certification of so called experts, conspiracies and total junk 

look at flat earth, election fraud, anti masks, anti vaccine, covid deniers, pizza gate, 911, moon landing etc etc - all dangerous conspiracies that damage society 

yes there are really good aspect of social media but....

JJ

This is why I haven't bothered with these social platforms I just can't be bothered with the nonsense and haven't got enough time in my life to listen or read some of the drivel that's why I just get my sensible conversations and good tips and invaluable ideas from mostly this forum and whole tamiyaclub site actually? Also I must admit tamiya legends and rc kicks are very good to watch amongst a few others and an Australian one aswell which is very good on YouTube!.........what's or is pizza gate?

29 minutes ago, moffman said:

what's or is pizza gate?

Its whether pineapple is an acceptable topping for a pizza or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, moffman said:

what's or is pizza gate?

Unfortunately it was a conspiracy that very very quickly circulated on social media where every pizza order was actually a trade in a child

it escalated to the point where a man went into a pizza shop with a gun to free the kids in the basement :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

Just an example of how social media can self certify a theory because those who don’t believe the theory eluding ever go to that part of social media so the only people that go there want to believe and without people showing them why it’s not true it becomes a truth 

How people can believe and argue the earth is flat given all the evidence then society is doomed 

JJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Its whether pineapple is an acceptable topping for a pizza or not.

Pineapple on a pizza should be made illegal! Together with horse radish on beef! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Pizza with ham/cheese/pepperoni/ Annanas or pineapple :ph34r:

please do not throw me out!

edit: Also enjoy Hawaii burger (pineapple/cheese)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Unfortunately it was a conspiracy that very very quickly circulated on social media where every pizza order was actually a trade in a child

it escalated to the point where a man went into a pizza shop with a gun to free the kids in the basement :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

Just an example of how social media can self certify a theory because those who don’t believe the theory eluding ever go to that part of social media so the only people that go there want to believe and without people showing them why it’s not true it becomes a truth 

How people can believe and argue the earth is flat given all the evidence then society is doomed 

JJ

OMG that is absolutely unbelievable......their is some seriously mixed up people (im putting that very mildly) which social media should be taken away from them for society's own benefit and more importantly safety? 

6 minutes ago, simalarion said:

I like Pizza with ham/cheese/pepperoni/ Annanas or pineapple :ph34r:

please do not throw me out!

edit: Also enjoy Hawaii burger (pineapple/cheese)

Well I'm in the process of drafting up a petition.........and I'm typing it even quicker now because of a burger with pineapple!😯 I'm still not sure if that's above horseradish with beef? My typewriter keys are jamming up with the speed I'm going!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Add some Gorgonzola or simillar «molden» cheeses and im all over it..

To make matter even worst i do have a 3 year cheff education and have worked as a Alacarte Chef for many years (a long time ago now, i had to quit because of a terrible pineapple accident ;) )

• Haha 1

Blimey, just caught up with this. Seems I'm guilty as charged even on TC let alone facebook.... :o

I post pictures of our buggies all the time and several have been group shots showing that we have quite a few 'desirable' buggies....

Not sure I did it to show off as in the types of/value of chassis though, in the most recent it was to 'show off' our team colours on a thread about pre-painted shells and how my kids and I prefer to paint our own.

Sure, it appears we have loads of buggies but do remember that some of us have kids, in my case THREE, so each of us as a 2WD, a basher 4WD and a more desirable top of the range 4WD. Yes, it looks like we have loads but ultimately it is only 3 or 4 per family member which I don't think is excessive?

Also not a single one of our cars is a shelf queen, they are all used heavily and frequently so is it such an issue if I post a picture of our entire collection? I guess some people look at it and think it is showing off? Seems kinda odd to me. In real terms my classic Land Rovers are worth roughly FORTY NIB Egress each and I have three of them but nobody looks at them and thinks I'm showing off, they look and think 'poor soul' having to drive those heaps of junk with no air con, sliding windows, horrendously noisy engines and a top speed of a modern pedal cycle...... :D

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Yeah - it’s a massively Willy waving site now and the lack of understanding about the actual world of cars is unbelievable 

going to the garage and handing over some cash because you read a review in car magazine does not make you a piston/gear head ;)

haha

Out of curiosity, what car did you have that those uptight jerks deem to be unworthy to be near their off the lots luxury brand cars? I only have 1 1:1 car being a Fiesta hatchback non ST, it's fun and a good daily driver which hasn't given me much troubles atm.

To be honest, I think there are clearly a fair few very naive people about if they think it is 'showing off' to post a picture of some Tamiya cars. Have they never actually bought a 1:1 car? My new Nissan pickup truck is worth 120 NIB Egress and yet it wouldn't get a 2nd glance from these same people. Most people spend more on their 1:1 cars than others spend on their entire collection of the first 100 Tamiya collections. How, or on what, people choose to spend their money on is irrelevant to me.

I have no issue with Facebook, all (well OK most) people I know on there are decent genuine people.

There are idiots in all walks of life, even IRL so I just have an in built filter to deal with the people who spout nonsense. They are usually easy to spot.

My biggest problem with social media is the lack of awareness of property ownership.

My blog was destroyed by idiots who thought is was perfectly acceptable to just steal photos and material and re-post, as 'their own' content, to gain money or likes.  That is in my opinion where social media falls down.  People think everything is free. Whereas in reality it cost me time and money to setup photos of vehicles or repairs etc and often I spent hours doing so only to have 'oiks' steal them and re-post for their own 'like' counts.

edit: should say, that even my friends and family used to 'like' posts that were literally posts of stolen images from my blog. I gave up trying to explain to them that they were supporting criminals and destroying original content but they didn't understand so just gave up. If you can't can't even get your own family to understand the issue then naff all chance of anybody else understanding so I closed my blog down. Got so fed up with Indian and Chinese website using my images in their sales images (after cropping out my watermarks!)

edit2: I suggest that anybody that pins a photo on pinterest (or likes a stolen photo on facebook) should have their private parts elecrocuted.... it is the biggest killer of original content websites. Every picture pinned is basiclaly stolen and pinterest get the view revenue off it rather than the original creator. It totally kills content BUT people are just so stupid they keep using it. If you search for certain Land Rover repairs you'll get pinterest images appearing first in the google search, whereas my original content will apear later. So Pinterest get the views and revenue from MY IMAGES!!! Try complaining about it and all Pinterest do is tell you that it is their users at fault and they take no responsibility...... and people wonder why original content websites are vanishing! If you have ever used pinterest and pinned a photo (or liked a stolen photo on Facebook)  then you are to blame for destroying content. Sorry, rant over....... :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nel33 said:

Out of curiosity, what car did you have that those uptight jerks deem to be unworthy to be near their off the lots luxury brand cars? I only have 1 1:1 car being a Fiesta hatchback non ST, it's fun and a good daily driver which hasn't given me much troubles atm.

Smart ForFour BRABUS

IJi873V.jpg

with only just over 200 in the uk it’s rarer than most cars 

mapped to 220bhp, stainless/custom exhaust from block to tip, racing clutch, lightened flywheel, wilwood 4 pots, induction, lowered, wide wheels, updated engine braces etc etc 

i was accused of being stupid spending all that money on Brabus accessories (even though it’s look is all stock apart from the wheels)

JJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mud4fun said:

There are idiots in all walks of life, even IRL so I just have an in built filter to deal with the people who spout nonsense. They are usually easy to spot.

Ah but it’s not the personal impact - it’s the societal.

look how many anti mask people there are or people who state covid isn’t gonna hurt anyone because it’s mortality rate is lower than flu 

what that does to society is these “experts” who initially convince people that all the news is fake bar specific social media posts then go on to convince them that the world is corrupt and to carry on spreading covid (for example) and then they moan when it’s lockdown 

same with the USA voter fraud - look what trump managed to do! Convince millions of people that the election was rigged 

how? Social media and people being told the news was hiding the truth - that’s all news agencies in every country in the world - even those ones that would revel in the corruption of democracy.

but you can’t teach stupid 

of the other bit about FB - the same Q gets asked over and over again - theses no read filing of historic posts and answers 

JJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Problemchild said:

Ah but it’s not the personal impact - it’s the societal.

look how many anti mask people there are or people who state covid isn’t gonna hurt anyone because it’s mortality rate is lower than flu 

what that does to society is these “experts” who initially convince people that all the news is fake bar specific social media posts then go on to convince them that the world is corrupt and to carry on spreading covid (for example) and then they moan when it’s lockdown 

same with the USA voter fraud - look what trump managed to do! Convince millions of people that the election was rigged 

how? Social media and people being told the news was hiding the truth - that’s all news agencies in every country in the world - even those ones that would revel in the corruption of democracy.

but you can’t teach stupid 

of the other bit about FB - the same Q gets asked over and over again - theses no read filing of historic posts and answers 

JJ

Sadly for you, I'm one of the 'idiots' you are complaining about :D

I'm absolutely of the opinion the 'crisis' was overhyped, the virus is nowhere near as bad as claimed and there was no need to remove our liberties or wreck economies over.

My Daughters best friend committed suicide the week before xmas because of fearmongering idiots not because she died of the virus.

My 82yr old Father is currently in hospital, mostly paralysed, after suffering a stroke from spending 23 hours a day in bed suffering depression after being alone and miserable for a year and not having been able to see his grandchildren since 2019. Even now my sister and I can't visit him so he may well die alone having not seen any of his family in over 12 months.

So sorry, but in my view the fearmongering and overhyping is sick and disgraceful - it is certainly not the ones questioning the madness that are the fools,

But we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. All I believe is that it has shown just how gullible the general public are and that in my opinion the surest sign of a fool is the one driving alone in their car miles from anywhere on a rural country lane while wearing a mask.......  just cos 99% of joe public believe something doesn't make it true, it just means 99% of people are gullible fools...... sorry, that is purely my opinion and I have had a very rough time over the last few months so my view maybe jaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to derail this thread too much, but while we're on the subject, what does it mean when an individual states "Its all over Facebook."?  I don't participate in any of those social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc. so I have no idea how they function. I had theories that pointed to the internet (and the increasing ease of access to it at all times) as the source of this slow downward spiral we find ourselves in but the documentary "The Social Dilemma" was the missing key.

Since I operate on a basis of factual proof in life, I am baffled by the blatantly false narratives running counter to the facts described by coworkers as "Don't you know? Its all over Facebook!" Since when is Facebook some kind of news agency? I'm confused. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Smart ForFour BRABUS

IJi873V.jpg

with only just over 200 in the uk it’s rarer than most cars 

mapped to 220bhp, stainless/custom exhaust from block to tip, racing clutch, lightened flywheel, wilwood 4 pots, induction, lowered, wide wheels, updated engine braces etc etc 

i was accused of being stupid spending all that money on Brabus accessories (even though it’s look is all stock apart from the wheels)

JJ

That's  an unconventional choice of car but there is nothing wrong with that. That's a nice car and it has 3x the HP that a normal one comes with. It might beat some of the cars off the line with the HP VS weight ratio. Lol I see that hot wheel sticker gives it that extra HP boost, i like how its tastefully funny and a fun idea. I'd say your car has every right to be parked there, those turds obviously just look at the car brand and disqualify it on the spot. I see their train of thought but I disagree with their choice to not include it.

My Fiesta stock motor might be pushing 500hp because I put 3 stickers on it also LOL JK.  The most I put on my car was rear mudflaps and 3 stickers, I put a Roadrunner/Coyote chase on the driver side left hand drive ie Canada and a realistic looking Flygon dragon sticker behind left rear passenger door. I found the pics on the net amd they were of sufficient resolution to print stickers from.  I don't recall seeing a legit max speed the road runner clocked at in the show so I'm not sure of its top speed LOL.

IMG_2748b.jpg

@Saito2 i thnk its much like the internet rule: if it on the net then it must be true. people either are either naive to take things at face value, dont know the answer so blindly trust the info or cant bother to check the actual facts to they come to the conclusion that statement is true. the fakery on the net is pretty sophisticated these days so its hard to distinguish at times or atleast the more out there facts should be more glaring.

• Like 1

@mud4fun sorry to hear your situation. There have been some terrible stories over the last year and we are likely to see more in the coming months. The mental health cost of the pandemic is yet to be truly understood.

However, hopefully you will believe me when I say that it is not overhyped, it really is as bad as reported. 

@Mud4fun I sympathise with your situation and am sorry to hear about it. I would like to share the other side of the coin though. I am in the clinically extremely vulnerable group, having had radiotherapy on my lungs after removal of a large cancerous tumour under my ribcage. I've now got about 1/3 of normal lung capacity on a good day. I also happen to live close to  a main route to a nearby hospital, and during the build up to the first lockdown I could tell things were getting worse by the increase in number of ambulances passing in the road nearby. If I catch Covid then I'm stone dead without a doubt, and the effect on my son of losing his Dad is going to be a lot worse than him staying away from school for a few months. I'm relieved that we're in lockdown and my child is at home, as I don't have the mental strain of wondering if my son is going to bring Covid home with him from school every day. 

• Sad 5

Facebook is a tool, but as suggested , there's many use it!

Like pretty much everyone, if I post 1:1 or RC stuff, it'll be the good bits you post, (although I have done a collection of 'out takes' on YouTube, of the speed runs that didn't go to plan, but having done them, I know they don't always goto plan, but there'll be people out there that think they do and think its easy).

I spent weeks building a shotblast cabinet, stripping & shot blasting old brake calipers, having them powder coated, having to get a local spring company make springs for the rear calipers ,rebuilding with new seals etc, but just did a before and after post on FB 🤷‍♂️

For reaching people vs effort , Facebook is great! With the club, you can create events etc, and broadcast it.

After watching 'Social Dilemma ' I'm more concerned for my kids, and their mental well-being, statistically safer playing in the woods on their own, than being left alone online...😳

I've grown up with Tech , from the ZX81 to today's smartphones, and learnt to take 'Information facebook fact' with a pinch of salt ( 'This is the truth' ,on the internet, is a bit like people who tell you, 'don't worry, you can trust me mate'....🤔

Just need to remember Abraham Lincoln's famous saying...-

2020-09-18_09-39-04

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interestingly the issues with social media spreading false narratives (ie the “ask the experts” vid) means that people are being convinced that vaccines are not to be trusted. 

the vid contains self professed experts stating things that come across as bible facts

we have lost the ability to critical think due to us being totally susceptible to what we see on social media 

how many vids do you see that are clearly fake and people Comment saying “surely that’s gotta be fake!!” 

anyway, the “expert” vid has been removed off most social media platforms but continues to circ on WhatsApp :(

JJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Just need to remember Abraham Lincoln's famous saying...-

2020-09-18_09-39-04

That’s amazing but how many people* would miss the irony :) 

*I was gonna write young people but that’s unfair as even my 11yr old would know abe was dead long before the internet!!

but some people - it’s upsetting how dim people can be 

intelligence is dwindling across the globe

look at the most recent leader of the free world

JJ

• Like 4

On 5/5/2020 at 10:35 AM, CoolHands said:

I relatively recently joined facebook for rc related groups I found. At first it was very interesting with lots of specialist groups I didn’t know about, and sales groups etc for vintage makes or models. Wow it is quite an eye-opener, I thought! 

But a already I’ve grown tired of it - It seems every time someone posts up a new paint job on a rare car, or post a pic of a rare buggy they have, someone else comes along with of course 3 x as many rare models all mint. - you post a pic of a kyosho Le Mans motor and someone else will come and post a pic of the entire set, all boxed, mint & unused or whatever.

I will shortly be deleting it I think! It’s full of boasters! Occasionally there’s a good lead on where to find a special part, or advice on alternative parts, but overall I think it’s a bit depressing 

Showoffery, Parental one upmanship and Chatting to old flames from school. It`s the only reason Facebook exists isnt it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Problemchild said:

look at the most recent leader of the free world

Someone at work said he was pretty bright...I said yeah... bright orange.

My wife tells me there's a growing number of folks doubting the existence of Helen Keller on the 'net. First flat earthers, now this. What's next? Wait...don't answer that.

Common sense it used to be called.   More like rare sense these days. 
another quote from someone 

bad things happen when good people do nothing. 😕