CoolHands

Is facebook full of showoffs?

11 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I catch Covid then I'm stone dead without a doubt, and the effect on my son of losing his Dad is going to be a lot worse than him staying away from school for a few months. So I'm glad that we're in lockdown and the kids are at home, as I don't have the mental strain of wondering if my son is going to bring Covid home with him from school every day. 

That is a truly disturbing, incredibly selfish, self centered and blinkered view.

So you are happy to see hundreds of teenagers take their own life, see tens of thousands of families separated and old people die alone, thousands of people's businesses destroyed, economies wrecked and at least a year of children's education sacrificed, see me and millions of others to lose our jobs, lose our houses and for thousands of kids to be left with long term mental health issues just so you can feel good and not suffer mental strain? Is that a joke?

If you are vulnerable then by all means stay at home, isolate and and keep safe but your attitude of supporting lockdowns for everybody has wreaked havoc with tens of thousands of lives and is directly responsible for tens of thousands of deaths that are totally unrelated to a virus.

If I get run over or die in a car crash - both statistically higher risk than dying of covid, then my three kids will be without a father too. However that is a nonsensical argument. Sure, great for tugging at heartstrings but at the end of the day 2-3K people die every week at this time of year, every year. All of them being awful for the families involved BUT the millions of other people in the country should not have their life destroyed to protect a handful. Sorry it sounds callous but that is what governments and even NHS have to decide daily. 

And I would suggest a fair few people posting here need to go back to school and study statistics because they are clearly severely lacking in education and an ability to understand stats, especially manipulated ones. There are two figures 100K+ deaths of people who died within 28 days of testing positive regardless of cause of death or ≤1000 who actually died of covid. Both are accurate and both are fact and both have been confirmed by PHE, ONS and even SAGE. Sadly there are far too many poorly educated, gullible fools about.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

That is a truly disturbing, incredibly selfish, self centered and blinkered view.

So you are happy to see hundreds of teenagers take their own life, see tens of thousands of families separated and old people die alone, thousands of people's businesses destroyed, economies wrecked and at least a year of children's education sacrificed, see me and millions of others to lose our jobs, lose our houses and for thousands of kids to be left with long term mental health issues just so you can feel good and not suffer mental strain? Is that a joke?

If you are vulnerable then by all means stay at home, isolate and and keep safe but your attitude of supporting lockdowns for everybody has wreaked havoc with tens of thousands of lives and is directly responsible for tens of thousands of deaths that are totally unrelated to a virus.

If I get run over or die in a car crash - both statistically higher risk than dying of covid, then my three kids will be without a father too. However that is a nonsensical argument. Sure, great for tugging at heartstrings but at the end of the day 2-3K people die every week at this time of year, every year. All of them being awful for the families involved BUT the millions of other people in the country should not have their life destroyed to protect a handful. Sorry it sounds callous but that is what governments and even NHS have to decide daily. 

And I would suggest a fair few people posting here need to go back to school and study statistics because they are clearly severely lacking in education and an ability to understand stats, especially manipulated ones. There are two figures 100K+ deaths of people who died within 28 days of testing positive regardless of cause of death or ≤1000 who actually died of covid. Both are accurate and both are fact and both have been confirmed by PHE, ONS and even SAGE. Sadly there are far too many poorly educated, gullible fools about.....

sorry to not agree with your views as everyone is entitled to their own but your post was hard to read. the US healthcare system already has enough issues of equal healthcare support but views like this is what contributed to the current situation USA finds itself with covid...

• Like 5

God panorama tonight was so frustrating 

covid is a scam

masks dont work

vaccines are dangerous 

Don’t these people understand that Edward Jenner’s work on vaccines eradicated a killer disease across the whole world over a 100 year period!

grrrrrrrr

JJ

That’s the problem with social media, people saying they are educated shouting at peoples personal perspectives.  People do die every day, but to want to be part of a statistic because one disease kills less than others but on paper more people lose money isn’t fair sounds a bit selfish.  People don’t like change, people like routines.  Sometimes **** happens and it’s about pulling together rather than saying it’s all unfair. I’m happy to help those in need, but  I wouldn’t help those that refuse to do a simple thing like wear a mask.  I don’t want to be a statistic because I knew better.......and failed 🙄

• Like 1

@mud4fun very cherry picked view without any info to back it - a defo social media narrative reproduced.

can pick out many examples to fit both sides 

Kids who no longer get bullied in school

Less road deaths

Less flu deaths because people are not interacting as they would 

Businesses who have diversified and are thriving 

etc 

as was said though - this is not political it’s about people only taking certain views about things and social media algorithms makes sure people only see the things they spend time looking at - you are a revenue generating asset for social media.

picture the matrix and all the humans in pods being harvested

ok we aren’t being harvested for our BTUs but for our eyes - time on screen = £ for social media companies. 

but many people don’t even know that, they think companies put together apps for free with the massive server requirements because they want us to share pics of our food :(

JJ

• Like 2

Ps @mud4fun my 11 year old flourished. His ability to manage a MS TEAMS calendar for lessons, run video teams meetings, been able to manage his time and homework with his “life” has been amazing to see.

He also passed his 11+ 

has created an art portfolio

has built numerous Lego models

has rebuilt his kyosho nexxt dampers to be  oil filled 

yes he’s felt alone and missed his friends at times but it’s made us get out and about more and look at different ways to manage our mental health - together 

so coming back to social media, repeating what you’ve read as the negatives of lockdown without considering any positives or pulling in any real world info is another example of social media only showing you the narratives that will capture your attention for longer 

Outside of covid it’s still bonkers that the internet and access to it isn’t seen as an essential in today’s society and it is bonkers and that the govt in the uk hasn’t provided access to all kids to distance learning 

life is what we make of it 

im a stone heavier since this time last year but my stress levels are lower than ever 

JJ

• Like 1

What is this 'Facebook' you speak of?? 🙄🤮.

In my professional life I've come across far too many instances of it being a force for ill, not good, causing nothing but conflict and pain. Social media? More like antisocial media.

In my personal life I don't tweet, I don't whatsapp, I don't 'follow' and certainly don't 'trend' or 'tiktok'. I don't 'buzzfeed', 'newsfeed' or any other kind of feed, except through my gob. My understanding of 'going viral' pertains to the reproduction and transmission of microscopic organisms. I don't subscribe, nor do I notify. I don't 'like' (ok, present company/forum excepted) and I don't click on email links from Nigerian princes (although the emails themselves do provide a certain level of entertainment). And again, apart from this fabulous website, the only posting I do is in a big red cylindrical object made of metal a couple of streets away.

No, I don't do 'social media' (ok yeah, except here 🙄) - even the term makes me want to projectile vomit all over 'internet stars' and 'influencers'. I don't do social media largely due to my belief that, with the notable except of the good people here (mostly), people are idiots. Idiotic in their own idiosyncratic way, but idiots nonetheless, and these platforms give them untrammelled access to a far wider 'audience' than previously possible. By way of illustration, in the pub, the bar, the school, the workplace etc ie anywhere that has genuine social interaction as opposed to synthetic social interaction, you will always find the occasional 'pub bore', or know-it-all/expert/show-off, bully etc etc and, if you have any sense, steer well clear so you don't have to listen to their tosh. In addition, it is a limited audience. Synthetic platforms make this so much harder to avoid as it is literally IN YA FACE, can reach millions of people and has to be navigated through to reach the stuff you actually want. Nah, not for me. I'd rather find information for myself and make my own mind up - whether that's about Brexit or breakfast, Covid or cornflakes i don't need, or want, other people to tell me what I should think. 

Anyway, that turned into a somewhat longer post than I had expected. Glad I got it off my chest. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's going on guys? Seriously, first the arguments about a joke last week, now you've all gone nuts about Facebook?

Yikes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

you will always find the occasional 'pub bore', or know-it-all/expert/show-off, bully etc etc and, if you have any sense, steer well clear so you don't have to listen to their tosh.

Sounding like a sketch by, Kevin Bridges - If Facebook was a pub 🙄😂 (on YouTube, but NOT for kids ears...) 

A thread that went off the RC topic, and went into a Covid argument, got moved to the, Anything NOT RC related, section, hope this isn't another. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Sounding like a sketch by, Kevin Bridges - If Facebook was a pub 🙄😂 (on YouTube, but NOT for kids ears...) 

Just watched it 🤣🤣🤣 ha ha!!! Yeah, that pretty sums up my feelings too 😃😃. The bit about the pedalo had me in stitches 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

What's going on guys? Seriously, first the arguments about a joke last week, now you've all gone nuts about Facebook?

Yikes.

It's probably got a lot to do with the pandemic. One year into this situation that nobody likes -we can all agree on that one-  and by now the stress accumulated is getting to the forum.

It's understandable, maybe we can just take it down a notch :)

• Like 1

I'm active in both FB and web forums such as this one and a few others like RCtech, DJForums, Diecast forums which most also have FB pages. For quick sharing, FB it is. But for properly documented and meaningful posts, forums are the way to go. Forums also have more passion than FB and it's true that there are a lot show offs. Not only in FB but both. 

With regards to rareness, there's always someone (or many others) who will have more rare items that you/us will ever have that we might think that we are so lucky to have them. But it doesn't mean that you have to feel frustrated and think that they are boastful. Just like you/me, they also want to share and we have no reason to feel insecure about it.. That is a too shallow reason to become depressed. Just think of the problems other people are dealing with and you're just worried that someone else might also have what you got. I say it's being selfish.

If other people are happy of the items we have, then let's also be happy for those who have more.

There's one member here @wtcc5 , who has the same passion in FF chassis like I do. I'm proud of my builds but he has achieved more than I did (his FF-03 KR build is to be envious) and have so many kits especially the FF-01. Something that I envy but it doesn't make me jealous and insecure. I'm happy with what I have and I'm also happy for him. I believe that he, me and others have inspired some other members who are interested in the same line and we're glad to have guided and helped them. Forums or FB, we should all help and be happy for one another.

• Like 7

@Nicadraus Funny that you mentioned me here. I have read some posts here lately and thought about how I use Fb, the forum and other (like Instagram). I didn’t add my opinion so far, because it is a real complicated topic.

I came to the conclusion, that the individual viewer decides for himself if one post is „showing off“ or „sharing“. If someone doesn’t like me or my user picture (for whatever reason), he/she will read my posts in a negative way. If I post pictures of my cars or collection it will be „showing off“. And it doesn’t matter how much effort it took or how I got the cars (for example saved from the bin or restored/repaired or bought nib). It also doesn’t matter then if I posted this picture to share my happiness of owning a kit. The other way round would mean I get likes for everything I post, because I share and the viewer likes that I do so.

I also see no difference between Fb and TC in that case. Is a showroom only positive, while the same picture and text can be negative, because I posted it somewhere else? Deserves a picture of a finished car/chassis/body in the builds section more respect than the Fb post in a Fb group? 

The post of Nicadraus is relevant for me. I started with FF chassis last year. I discovered all the cool kits Tamiya made. The showrooms with Nissan Primeras were my favorites. I didn’t thought one time, that these guys were showing off. Same on Fb seeing (rare) kits from other guys is something nice, something I want to see. I have never read one comment of a user saying something like: „I have this rare car and you do not.“ They post all their treasures and we are just like little kids standing in front of our lhs with that sparkle in our eyes.

Yes, in my head I often wish I could own this or that kit, but I am more than happy with what I have and some dreams take their time to accomplish. And that is good, otherwise it wouldn’t be so much fun.

Sorry for the long post ;)

• Like 5

20 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Sorry if I've upset you or anyone else, that was not my intention at all.

No, I am not happy either with any of the negative impacts on peoples' lives that we are seeing from Covid in this country or around the world.

• Like 4

Sorry I may have expanded on the show off aspect of FB to include absolute morons ;)

the 2 are linked though haha

bit it’s also linked to the current situation where most people are doing their bit then suddenly some people decide (based on social media) to ignore the advice and ruin it for the rest of us ;)

JJ

• Like 1

I'm in a couple of group on FB for Tamiya,  Kyosho, Schumacher and Iconic, and I do agree there is a certain amount of 'mine is bigger than yours' but I also find them a great source of info for models, hop-ups or mods that I wouldn't know about.  Some people clearly throw money at everything just to have a model with every conceivable hop-up, but there are just as many members that don't have the same amount of disposable income and find ingenious ways to modify a model for a fraction of the cost, and that's why I stay as a member of these groups.

As for the arguing,  there is a lot of comments that lead to some heated exchanges, but I think that's common on all social media (including forums), and we've had a few members on TC over the years that have fallen out or quit the forum over some comment or another as well, so I wouldn't say that's limited to FB.

• Like 3

Facebook and other social media sites or apps would really exist without the internet but then we wouldn't have places like forums such as TC without it either.  Beauty or disdain is in the eye of the beholder and if you find something useful that others do not it's OK, that is pretty much a microcosm of life existing in the electronic ether.  If you find some people offensively preening there may be other reasons but only engage if you "know" them I guess because then it could be a positive situation.  The internet is dangerous place that breeds both positive and negative emotions, information and people too so beware and always check your sources.

Personally trying to maintain an online existence anywhere is difficult.  You can never tell if someone is really joking or being serious by text alone and emoji's can be misleading.  Having Asperger's makes it even worse so I limit myself to small comments or engaging with people I know outside of social media or groups I can view without joining in unless I am looking for knowledge.  Facebook is merely easier than making a journey or even a telephone call (especially during this lockdown lunacy) because timing can be very problematic.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Kyrotek said:

The internet is dangerous place that breeds both positive and negative emotions, information and people too so beware and always check your sources.

I think that’s the main point about society 

on a forum, someone spouting junk stays on the forum and doesn’t spread very far.

on FB or Twitter, if you are so included, the AI picks you and feeds you posts from all over social media to feed your personality. 

so you don’t even have to go looking and you are almost unknowingly bombarded with one sided info and then that spiral continues 

its like how ISIS recruit but instead of someone having to physically contact people, the AI does it all.

we must all get loads of suggested RC vids on YouTube and we don’t get sent conspiracy stuff

conspiracy people only get sent conspiracy stuff and not RC vids 

so we can see what happens 

we buy more and more cars and they get more and more deeper down the rabbit hole 

one is dangerous to our wallets

the other is dangerous to society 

the trump election fraud is the most pertinent - how did millions of Americans believe a hoax with minimal circumstantial evidence - all of which was actually debunked?

outside of America - no one believed there was fraud

Scary stuff 

transpose that to anti vaccine people and all of a sudden it’s world wide deaths not just crazy people dressed as Vikings 

sorry - I’ve been doing a paper on it all ;)

JJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Problemchild said:

so you don’t even have to go looking and you are almost unknowingly bombarded with one sided info and then that spiral continues 

its like how ISIS recruit but instead of someone having to physically contact people, the AI does it all.

we must all get loads of suggested RC vids on YouTube and we don’t get sent conspiracy stuff

conspiracy people only get sent conspiracy stuff and not RC vids 

so we can see what happens 

I apologize if the topic has grown outside its original intent but some of these "branches" have become quite interesting.

Birds of a feather flock together still applies. Life is uncertain for a lot of people. I think people (in varying degrees based on the individual) have a fear or perhaps question (sometimes on a near subconscious level) whether they are doing the "right" thing. This could be very surface level. Some like to follow all the latest styling trends, others not so much. This also extend to thoughts and beliefs. What is more addictive than being constantly told and reaffirmed that you are "doing the right thing" that everything is cool and you're cool too because there's no need to change, you're doing and thinking the "correct" things already? Well, social media does that through its AI. Echo chamber with no end. Daily dose of self affirmation. 

Take it a step further. What if what your doing/believing isn't just "right" but it makes you "better" and "smarter" than the poor "fools" who think otherwise? Go down the conspiracy route and it becomes super-addictive to some...the idea of having this "knowledge" making you greater than those around you. Whether you're "woke" or think you have the inside line on election fraud knowledge or vaccines or 9/11 etc, it all becomes a powerful stimulant. Its powerful enough to angrily turn a blind eye to facts (which now are up for debate unfortunately) staring you in the face or worse, lash out against them. 

• Like 2

Excellent post 

and add to that the fact that people refuse to admit they are wrong.... ;)

Finally, because people don’t like to get into arguments, especially with perceived idiots, then those people continue to believe they are correct 

JJ

• Like 2

I'm in a couple Tamiya FB groups and most posts tend to be "Hey I found this in my attic, what is it worth?"  So it's a bit frustrating.  But sometimes there's some cool posts around custom paint jobs/liveries or people asking technical help.  Not all bad, and I get a little feed of cool Tamiya pics.