CoolHands

Is facebook full of showoffs?

When I listen to pop master on radio 2 and the contestants says "hello to my Facebook friends" 😣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moffman said:

But I do hear certain family members and acquaintances talk about stuff on these social media sites like it's the holy grail of correct opinions (can people be that naive to the extent of stupidity??)

Yes they can.:(

• Like 1

FB can be good for buying/selling, but I'd agree, there are loads of show offs on there, lots of hoarders too, with 5/10 of the same model, shelfers/nib. :rolleyes:

I don't have an official account on fb, my TC and eBay are me (Wez-li) but fb isn't cos its full of weirdos and stalkers lol. 

You get a broader mix on Facebook so unfortunately you get a lot of immature Dunning Kruger types who still think they are showing off in the playground.

Aside from mass scale brand elitism, you get the price elitists who can't stand the fact that a guy with a £70 WLToys is having as much fun as he is with his $2000 "rig" and will literally tell people on small budgets to stay away from the hobby. They will also say anything cheap or budget is terrible without ever having laid a finger on.

The definition of bashing has changed from spirited driving with maybe some jumps thrown in to launching at full speed off a skate ramp 40 feet into the air and just hoping for the best when it comes back down again.

The idea of good quality has come to mean "can tolerate the abuse that results from my complete inability to actually control my vehicle"

No matter what brand, someone will come along and say "they are ok but I had to dump 2k on mine just to make it last through one bashing session"

No matter how skilled someone is at building or modding or painting or soldering, someone will come along to say how terrible they are.

Even when it comes to "what RC should I get my kid" you'll get a bloke saying "my 2 month old can drive an X-maxx just fine."

I love posting about my Nikko stuff on some of the groups and triggering all the Chavs. Especially when I point out they made hobby quality stuff and had spares and hopups etc.

Besides all the elitism and showing off there's a lot of bad advice and urban myths too. Pretty much none of them understand what C rating means for example and they think a 50c 1000mah battery can provide more current than a 40c 6000mah pack BeCuZ hIgHeR iS bEtTeR 

I've made some good friends on there too though so it's bittersweet. 

You have to put up with a lot of idiots on there but there is good to be found too. It's easier to block the idiots although I can't resist showing them up sometimes lol

Best one was a pathological liar/sociopath. Guy who got a second hand TL-01B and asked what pinion to get. About 10 people told him but he insisted on getting the wrong pitch and wrecked his gears then ran to another group saying we all gave him bad advice and made him waste $300 because we were all jealous of his world's fastest Tamiya 🤣

Only problem was I was in the other group too so I posted screenshots of the whole thing to show him up as a liar. Next thing you know he's sending videos making death threats etc but at the same time whining in the group that he had "thousands" of nasty messages in his inbox even though only about 10 people were involved and only a few hundred in the entire group.

Absolute nut case. He also claimed Tamiya sent him top secret prototype motors and that he owned a solar farm (evidence: filming a solar farm across the street) and used to be "high up" at google despite being about 19. last I heard he said he made a million dollars selling Pokemon cards and had started a space company 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

You get a broader mix on Facebook so unfortunately you get a lot of immature Dunning Kruger types who still think they are showing off in the playground.

Aside from mass scale brand elitism, you get the price elitists who can't stand the fact that a guy with a £70 WLToys is having as much fun as he is with his $2000 "rig" and will literally tell people on small budgets to stay away from the hobby. They will also say anything cheap or budget is terrible without ever having laid a finger on.

The definition of bashing has changed from spirited driving with maybe some jumps thrown in to launching at full speed off a skate ramp 40 feet into the air and just hoping for the best when it comes back down again.

The idea of good quality has come to mean "can tolerate the abuse that results from my complete inability to actually control my vehicle"

No matter what brand, someone will come along and say "they are ok but I had to dump 2k on mine just to make it last through one bashing session"

No matter how skilled someone is at building or modding or painting or soldering, someone will come along to say how terrible they are.

Great post.  Some people just need to feel like they impress people, even though nobody actually cares.  I have never had a social media account and never will, TC is good enough for me.  Although I will look in on other forums from time to time to see what other people are doing with their RCs, always impressed by good work and ideas.  

A lot of people feel like they are "experts" these days just because they've watched a YouTube video...I read nearly every post on TC daily and get the best information by just soaking it all in, I read at least one interesting new fact or way to do something almost everyday on here.  Everything else I know is from experience and trying new things to see what works, one of the best parts of the hobby.  Always willing to pass on the info I've learned, but try not to come across as a know it all and always open to opinions and new ways of doing things.

I also dislike the elitism that some people have whether it comes to a brand or "type" of RC that they think everyone should be running regardless of personal interest.  I've always been an off-road type RC enthusiast, but love seeing detailed builds of on road and buggies here on TC, to each their own.  I also appreicate the fact that people are into cheaper RCs that they can make perform as good as a high-dollar brand name models, nothing wrong with that.

In the end, I think as long as you get what you want out of the hobby it doesn't matter how you do it, but I do wish people would be more respectful and helpful towards others and try to draw more people into the hobby, not away from it.  That's why I love this site so much, there's none of that here. 

• Like 4

You know, I've never even thought about joining any Facebook groups for my hobbies. I can see now I haven't missed anything...

Honestly, if it weren't for abotu 20 people who live far away that I like to keep in touch with, I'd probably ditch it altogether. But it is nice for staying in touch with those 20 people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Absolute nut case. He also claimed Tamiya sent him top secret prototype motors and that he owned a solar farm (evidence: filming a solar farm across the street) and used to be "high up" at google despite being about 19. last I heard he said he made a million dollars selling Pokemon cards and had started a space company 🤣🤣🤣

To be fair he's married to Grimes and he knows how to make a spectacle. No idea why he wouldn't go for a Top Force over a TL01B though. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

To be fair he's married to Grimes and he knows how to make a spectacle. No idea why he wouldn't go for a Top Force over a TL01B though. 

I want to know how someone who doesn't know what pinion to get is also such an RC god that Tamiya send him top secret motors to test lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nowinaminute said:

I want to know how someone who doesn't know what pinion to get is also such an RC god that Tamiya send him top secret motors to test lol.

I was dead certain you were talking about Elon Musk, and he's up there with the big boys so I thought Tamiya sending him stuff weren't that far fetched. 
On closer inspection I see you write that he's about 19 so I guess my reasoning is way off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I know him , he's Jay from the inbetweeners

Image result for jay inbetweeners

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Social media is full of idiots

unfortunately these platforms with minimal control allows the self certification of so called experts, conspiracies and total junk 

look at flat earth, election fraud, anti masks, anti vaccine, covid deniers, pizza gate, 911, moon landing etc etc - all dangerous conspiracies that damage society 

yes there are really good aspect of social media but....

JJ

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I know him , he's Jay from the inbetweeners

Image result for jay inbetweeners

That's exactly what he's like. Every bit as oblivious to how ridiculous his claims look. 

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

I have never had a social media account and never will

Except for the social media account you're using now to make that post. Forums like this one are social media, too. 

I think the difference between this and Facebook is that most people already have Facebook, so joining a Facebook group is a natural extension, and requires very little additional effort.

Joining and posting on a forum requires slightly more effort: need to open a browser, need to open individual sub-forums, need to open individual threads - only then do you get to see any content. With Facebook, it gives you a 'feed' and all you have to do is slide your thumb up your phone. It makes it more accessible. 

Consequently, and for better or for worse, you get a more diverse range of people, as has been mentioned already. 

I don't know, I like seeing everyone's pics of their cars and what they've done and it gives good ideas on where to go. I don't care if someone only has 1 or 100 cars. More power to em. 

I'm on other car groups and it's the same thing. Hey check out my 600hp Mustang, check out my 800hp GTR, check out my 1000hp Supra... 

I love it! Lol

• Like 1

Yes this IS a social media platform and yes there are groups within the forum that can mean people can gather together on certain topics 

HOWEVER

there are some massive differences 

firstly on a forum you see all the topic areas on the home page - you don’t see the conspiracy pages as a heading on your FB home page. 
why is that pertinent? Because the community would come down on BS posts. Look how quickly spam is locked down. 

secondly the moderation is more focussed

thirdly, the lack of algorithms that define what bits of the forum you see mean you aren’t shaped in your thinking.

JJ

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Willsls1 said:

I don't know, I like seeing everyone's pics of their cars and what they've done and it gives good ideas on where to go. I don't care if someone only has 1 or 100 cars. More power to em. 

I'm on other car groups and it's the same thing. Hey check out my 600hp Mustang, check out my 800hp GTR, check out my 1000hp Supra... 

I love it! Lol

100% agree 

however there is snobbery with some 

I’ve been ripped to pieces on pistonheads for my car 

I’ve been to car meets and asked to park somewhere else because someone thought my modified car wasn’t worthy of being there unlike their £100k straight from the showroom car 

I have no issues with people showing their mega expensive RC cars 

but we can’t tell people who have got a battered hornet that their car is crap ;)

JJ

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

100% agree 

however there is snobbery with some 

I’ve been to car meets and asked to park somewhere else because someone thought my modified car wasn’t worthy of being there unlike their £100k straight from the showroom car 

I have no issues with people showing their mega expensive RC cars 

but we can’t tell people who have got a battered hornet that their car is crap ;)

JJ

Totally agree bro and I never would. Whether it's  Someone posts up a beater car built under a shade tree or 30 yo frog they brought back to life, I admire it all. 

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

JJ

I can't remember the last time I went on there, full of absolutely horrible people who probably couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag shouting the odds at anyone who'll listen and abusing strangers from the safety of being being their keyboard :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, rich_f said:

Except for the social media account you're using now to make that post. Forums like this one are social media, too. 

I think the difference between this and Facebook is that most people already have Facebook, so joining a Facebook group is a natural extension, and requires very little additional effort.

Joining and posting on a forum requires slightly more effort: need to open a browser, need to open individual sub-forums, need to open individual threads - only then do you get to see any content. With Facebook, it gives you a 'feed' and all you have to do is slide your thumb up your phone. It makes it more accessible. 

Consequently, and for better or for worse, you get a more diverse range of people, as has been mentioned already. 

Got me there :)  Of course forums are a form of social media, but for the reasons you stated I find them much different than the Facebook-type of social media and usually attract a more constructive form of conversation.

i find all of the popular social media sites to be toxic, corrosive and depressing or gloating. i stay away from those sites whenever possible, i do admit responsible use of them is possible but there is too much craziness on there. i dont mind forum sites though they can also get out of control if not moderated properly though thats not the case here. to avoid a long ranting post on all that i despise of social media site i suggest you look at the South Park ep "you have 0 friends" (provided you are of proper age to see the show). everything they show is a great summary of my feeling though the function connecting with random people might have been taken a bit too far out of context or its an analogy of how people act on those sites.

i only check 1 FB page once in a while to see if a certain radio show will be playing on its given timeframe. i did have FB twice and each time i deleted it within 2 weeks, its not my thing and im dont care to know what other peoples' thoughts are every few minutes.  twitter, snapchat or whatever other popular site these days isnt my thing either, im perfectly happy with a "dumb" flip phone as a device to carry around. at this point i cant really trust those sites given all the crazy things floating around on their platforms, i dont think i ever will trust them at all.

• Like 1

Just avoid and all sorted. I ditched them 5years ago and as mentioned... how liberating it is.my ex wife used to put very private stuff on facebook and I found it annoying as heck, also liberating to get rid of such person.

I tend to find it rude when people browse facebook or instagram in public. Also I tend to find it annoying people get noticed when sharing their collection or hobbies in public, and I am just like yeah... but in reality I do even better and dont tell to others.

I like to follow the rule... stay low-key

Edit; but I do have instagram, not with a real name or so, no friends there... just some sites about vintage rally, cars, various car parts sellers and people like @swdishirishmama @doubletapthatass or such as thats the first thats pops out :D 

7 hours ago, Wez-li said:

I can't remember the last time I went on there, full of absolutely horrible people who probably couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag shouting the odds at anyone who'll listen and abusing strangers from the safety of being being their keyboard :rolleyes:

Yeah - it’s a massively Willy waving site now and the lack of understanding about the actual world of cars is unbelievable 

going to the garage and handing over some cash because you read a review in car magazine does not make you a piston/gear head ;)

haha

41 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Also I tend to find it annoying people get noticed when sharing their collection or hobbies in public, and I am just like yeah... but in reality I do even better and dont tell to others.

The only reason I share stuff is to inspire 

I get inspired by people’s posts 

I like to keep busy in my shed and I can’t always afford a new kit so doing things like creating new designs with existing chassis :)

this is a good forum 

JJ

• Like 2

I've always avoided mainstream social media sites like the plaque. This is the only public forum I frequent. Interesting reading the views about FB and the like. My thought is that mainstream social media is a reflection of human nature when you remove the restrictions on behaviour that apply when you're in the same room as someone else talking to them.  You get nice people, and you get not so nice people. Same as the rest of the human race. Although perhaps social media is a magnet for people with a need to show off. I also watched a few interesting documentaries on Netflix about smart phones and mainstream social media  and how they are basically carrying out a huge behaviour modification experiment. And yes, I don't have a smart phone either. 

Also remember for every show off there's always someone out there with something better / bigger than them. Even Elon Musk, who owns his own space rocket, someone out there will be younger / healthier / better looking. If you asked people 'Who was America's greatest show off?', I'm sure half of them would answer 'The Bandit' :) .

• Like 3

There is ofc (as i see it anyway) Huge differences between mainstream Social Media and a forum on a spesific hobby. At this forum i found many common minds with many common interest not only RC, and i like the posts that i actually like and share pictures because i truly belive others on this forum actually like looking at them as i do with theirs.

I stopped using social media years ago as it is in general just is a self promoting (look how great i am) plattform that i have no interest in, and i did never get the pictures of random dinners from a Restaurant (look what i ordered all by myself!). Also i was spammed down with over hyped emoji messages on my birthday also from ppl i hardly knew(felt almost like autoreply messages that triggered on ppl birthdays), must say i prefer the old way and receive a personal message (sms etc) or a phone call on my birthday. It was all so Hollow to me so i stopped it.

I love this forum, many kind ppl and they seem to me to often be genuin interested in what you have to say and are not just interested in promoting themself, hope thats the case to 😉

• Like 3