CoolHands

Is facebook full of showoffs?

I don't mind facebook, but then I don't really get too wound up by it. I've made some great friends over FB related to this hobby. I find all of the RC groups I'm in to be ok. In fact looking at the amount of kits some people buy in a week it also makes me feel that I don't have a problem :). I would say most of the posts consist of threads with people doing their best to help out. I'm not in loads of groups and will leave ones that seem to be a bit too much about buying and selling. 

I'm less of a fan of Youtube when it comes to the hobby. Although over the many lockdowns we have had I've started to watch more, and there are some channels that I do like. Strangely most are more to do with bashing etc which are parts of the hobby I that I don't really do, but I love to see the Passion of someone like Kevin Talbot running some 8s ugly truggy thing and going crazy with it. He obviously loves it and its fun to see someone doing what they love.  Unfortunately there are some channels where I feel it's more about people trying to be controversial and being a personality, its not authentic and it's hard to watch. 

I find that forums / blogs are my favourite as they can go into detail, make nuanced points and also be a great source of information that is easy to find and digest. 

• Like 3

On 2/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, mud4fun said:

post pictures of our buggies all the time and several have been group shots showing that we have quite a few 'desirable' buggies....

That's just sharing.

The show off guys are the ones who are snobby about it and pull the photos out just to prove how much more money they have or how much "better at RC" they are. 

Or the ones who say "I had to spend 2000 on my Slash just to make it half decent" but when you ask what they spent that much on they decide they are bored of the conversation and "don't have to prove a thing"

Some of the wealthiest people I know are some of the most modest but you do get some who just seem to constantly feel the need to reference how much they "have in a rig".

I saw a guy in RC Junkies group say they saved a year for an x-maxx and someone responded that THEY could buy one from a few days pay and that if they had to save for a year then they had no business being in the hobby.

And another time some young fella posted his new Redcat MT and another guy replied saying the were cheap crap. An argument ensued and a day later he posted a video of himself unboxing the same truck and smashing it with a sledgehammer and tagged the guy in the post. 

That's the kind of people that come to mind when I think of facebook showoffs and general unpleasant people.

Showing your collection on RCs isn't the same thing. Even those guys with warehouses full of duplicate vintage tamiya kits aren't the same thing even if I do find that kind of hoarding a bit odd.

It's the intent behind it that counts imo

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

That's just sharing.

The show off guys are the ones who are snobby about it and pull the photos out just to prove how much more money they have or how much "better at RC" they are. 

Or the ones who say "I had to spend 2000 on my Slash just to make it half decent" but when you ask what they spent that much on they decide they are bored of the conversation and "don't have to prove a thing"

Some of the wealthiest people I know are some of the most modest but you do get some who just seem to constantly feel the need to reference how much they "have in a rig".

I saw a guy in RC Junkies group say they saved a year for an x-maxx and someone responded that THEY could buy one from a few days pay and that if they had to save for a year then they had no business being in the hobby.

And another time some young fella posted his new Redcat MT and another guy replied saying the were cheap crap. An argument ensued and a day later he posted a video of himself unboxing the same truck and smashing it with a sledgehammer and tagged the guy in the post. 

That's the kind of people that come to mind when I think of facebook showoffs and general unpleasant people.

Showing your collection on RCs isn't the same thing. Even those guys with warehouses full of duplicate vintage tamiya kits aren't the same thing even if I do find that kind of hoarding a bit odd.

Wow, glad I don't come across people like that...that's ridiculous.  With that said, I love the guys on TC that have Showrooms full of awesome vintage models and pictures of their "hobby rooms" that look better than most hobby shops.  I would never begrudge someone for what they have, just glad they decided to share it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, qatmix said:

I don't mind facebook, but then I don't really get too wound up by it. I've made some great friends over FB related to this hobby. I find all of the RC groups I'm in to be ok. In fact looking at the amount of kits some people buy in a week it also makes me feel that I don't have a problem :). I would say most of the posts consist of threads with people doing their best to help out. I'm not in loads of groups and will leave ones that seem to be a bit too much about buying and selling. 

I'm less of a fan of Youtube when it comes to the hobby. Although over the many lockdowns we have had I've started to watch more, and there are some channels that I do like. Strangely most are more to do with bashing etc which are parts of the hobby I that I don't really do, but I love to see the Passion of someone like Kevin Talbot running some 8s ugly truggy thing and going crazy with it. He obviously loves it and its fun to see someone doing what they love.  Unfortunately there are some channels where I feel it's more about people trying to be controversial and being a personality, its not authentic and it's hard to watch. 

I find that forums / blogs are my favourite as they can go into detail, make nuanced points and also be a great source of information that is easy to find and digest. 

This pretty much sums up my view on FB. There’s a ton of great stuff being posted on the likes of IconicRC et al, but it’s soon lost in the feed and so lost from my mind. On forums it’s much easier to have a conversation, find old thread etc. So I find tamiyaclub is an excellent source of knowledge an inspiratiin, earlier today I read a 7 year old thread on how @kontemax restored his Terra Conqueror, brilliant stuff! 

The behaviour @nowinaminute described is just appalling and makes me loose faith in humanity.

• Like 3

I use FB solely for RC related things - meeting up with people locally (pre-Covid) for "rock crawling," buying and selling RCs, and during lockdown there was a fantastic group dedicated to building courses for mini crawlers. Beyond that it is of minimal value, and I vastly prefer the social aspect of forums.

FB 'Marketplace' is fantastic though.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, Robert5000 said:

This pretty much sums up my view on FB. There’s a ton of great stuff being posted on the likes of IconicRC et al, but it’s soon lost in the feed and so lost from my mind. On forums it’s much easier to have a conversation, find old thread etc. So I find tamiyaclub is an excellent source of knowledge an inspiratiin, earlier today I read a 7 year old thread on how @kontemax restored his Terra Conqueror, brilliant stuff! 

7 years? Already?
This makes me dizzy...
Max

• Like 2

I think it's "show off Saturday" on fb, it's almost embarrassing at times :ph34r::lol:

• Haha 1

Now my story of a strictly-no-facebook-user : )
Since a while I try to find out prices for some rare RC parts which I got from a friend. We does not know the value so I asked a friend to post a price-request in my name.
It is a special group only for this certain model. 

Aswers where: "I take this and that part", "do you sell it", "put it on ebay and you see what you get" but NO singel word in relation to my request. LOL

This made me even more shure why I am not on fb. :lol:

On 2/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, nowinaminute said:

That's just sharing.

I think that's just *******.

Facebook, real world, the same over. Some people are awful.

Unfortunately the honest person is a minority.   Facebook is a way the downright nasty get away with actions not tolerated in the live world.  Facebook gives power to the majority to encourage humiliation.    
Common sense is no more no.  Rare sense is more like it.

6 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Unfortunately the honest person is a minority.   Facebook is a way the downright nasty get away with actions not tolerated in the live world.  Facebook gives power to the majority to encourage humiliation.    
Common sense is no more no.  Rare sense is more like it.

sounds like the new meta now... pun intended. for someone with alot of money, his imagination on names is rather bad.

I use Facebook mainly to keep friends and family back home and across multiple countries updated. Being an immigrant myself, things like Internet, Facebook, WhatsApp are priceless. In the old days, it was 20p-100p/m phone calls. 

HOWEVER, you can accuse me of being a showoff as well, and well, I will admit it, as in my context, I am doing things that many of my friends cannot or will not do or see ever in their lives. 

I had been one of the admins of the biggest Tamiya group on Facebook: Tamiya Legends.

Please stay away.

Max

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, qatmix said:

I love to see the Passion of someone like Kevin Talbot running some 8s ugly truggy thing and going crazy with it. He obviously loves it and its fun to see someone doing what they love.

So much this !  
I find myself using the term “like Kevin Talbot “ when I want to describe someone taking the “extreme “ approach to the hobby. 
Yet I have to stop myself because as goofy and destructive as he can be, I get the vibe that kev genuinely loves what he does and his having a blast pursuing his passion in the way that makes him happy. 
I do get the “show off” vibe that the original poster is taking about on social  media though 

20 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

When I first got “back” into the hobby in the mid 20teenS , I bought a brushed Slash because it was what my limited LHS had in stock and I wanted to get playing NOW. 
12t brushed motor on Nihm blew away anything I had driven almost 3 decades earlier in my nicd days.  
Almost immediately I was met with people ( in person at the local shop and online in forums )  who has this “ you HAVE to , do this mod or that,  you have to get Lipo, brushless , 4 WD ,  etc etc . 
I also saw and heard a lot of people bash Redcat at the time .

A couple years into my second time around in the hobby I did grow in experience and technology as my budget allowed, but I have never adopted the “bro”mentality of you have to have the most, fastest , biggest etc .

I see a lot of this disparaging mentality in 1:1 car scene and bikes as well. 
Actually adopted a philosophy from one of my old motorbike forum buddies that I apply to RC .

A few of us were taking about the jerks in the riding community who are think anyone who doesn’t do things their way is wrong. He told a story a track day he did. One blowhard was giving everyone unsolicited advice during a debrief session and telling them what he did or would would have done. 
The riding instructor told the guy simply 

“ride your own bike “ 

Left  it at that 

I quite like Kevin, he seems like a decent guy. He plays with cars I have zero interest in, and drives them in ways I wouldn't, but I can't see him giving someone **** for having something cheaper than him.

I find RC cars are a little like the guitar gear world (mostly male, tech heavy, expensive., spending money gives kudos and lots of brand loyalty). In that world there are so many "got to have a Gibson, fenders sound like ****" "If you have a Marshall Amp you might as well just not bother" both online and in music shops. I'm sure the Playstation/Xbox communties are just the same.

It's an absolute inability to realise that just because you like something, it's not better, it's just your preference, and very often that's down to personal choice and bias. 

Some people can't afford the best. A kid playing with a beat up grasshopper is as meaningful as someone dropping 2K on the latest 1/8 beast.

Want to go 800 mph and 1000ft in the air in a skatepark on 16S in a car that is bigger than an Alsatian! Go on

Want to drive 10 mph in a vintage Tamiya built to stock? Go for it

Want to have more aluminium than a bauxite refinery? Yes

Want to be obsessed with 1/14 trucks which remind you of your old Nikkos?? ha ha - just me! 

• Like 2

@Quincy and I have one of our „Blautal RC Car Racer“ channels there and post our cars, builds, restorations. The reactions are mostly positive, very very few negative comments. This is the same for the shared content in other (mostly Tamiya or vintage) groups.

Even though every user can speak his free mind, mostly the ones who enjoy the content are commenting. So I find Fb for the hobby quite nice.

What doesn’t work for me are (like @Collin said) if you have questions, that are not easy to answer or common. Then you get mostly strange/non-question-related answers/comments.

Up to now, I cannot remember toxic channel members, who started to fight with themselves in our comment sections.

My TT02 conversions sometimes get comments regarding the money I needed to spend to build it , but thats ok for me knowing that the most expensive parts are blue aluminum (so that is a critic redirected to Tamiya…).

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 10:26 PM, mud4fun said:

That is a truly disturbing, incredibly selfish, self centered and blinkered view.

So you are happy to see hundreds of teenagers take their own life, see tens of thousands of families separated and old people die alone, thousands of people's businesses destroyed, economies wrecked and at least a year of children's education sacrificed, see me and millions of others to lose our jobs, lose our houses and for thousands of kids to be left with long term mental health issues just so you can feel good and not suffer mental strain? Is that a joke?

What a pathetic strawman argument. 

I have been collecting for a very long time now. I have seen this collecting craze grow from its infancy. Prices have never been cheap. In 2000 I was getting over $80 USD on average for a set of cam locks for the SRB series. When I first put one up - the Auction went over $200 USD.  Now, they have been re-released. That’s fantastic and cheaper for everyone.  

What has changed significantly though is the interest in other brands - particularly racing orientated. Whether it be NIB or a clunker in need of restore - these cars are increasingly costly to repair - because parts are genuinely getting scarce. The increasing huge interest in vintage racing has only expanded demand. 

3D printed parts are making running some of these cars again a reality for some cars that will likely never be re-released. People wanting to restore old race cars for the shelf want original parts to keep it faithful to the period. This drives up demand as well. The supply of genuine vintage parts will not go on forever. Hence the prices. 

“Showing off” On FB and Youtube- I guess it depends on your perspective. If you are looking at posts and enjoying seeing the cars, that’s all that matters. Often we mistake peoples genuine passion and joy in sharing their car for some sort of “peacock” behaviour. If you haven’t got one of what they have yett, or haven’t finished yours, look at it as something to look forward to sharing yourself when you do land your unicorn. Because if you put positivity out there - it tends to come back. That’s the way I approach it. 

Anyone sharing their pride and joy should be celebrated - as without it - our vintage hobby would not be expanding at the rate it has been.

Tamiyaclub is a place to share as well, that’s what we wanted when we started it al those years ago. The passion runs deep with a whole lot of us for different reasons. Celebrate the positives - wherever they are posted.  

✌️ 

• Like 5

RC related group on Facebook are great places. I especially like the Tamiya Legends group which is very friendly on the whole. Using FB on my phone can post videos and photos in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same thing on a message board. I don't see FB TL group as being more show offy than this place, but it's certainly less cliquey and generally more respectful. I still remember the unfriendly arrogance of some people in here when I first joined.  

Message boards like this have also had their historic threads destroyed by the photobucket debacle. What I've noticed is that a lot of silly old sausages seem to hate FB, which I great because I can't stand people who reject modernity. 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:46 PM, Nikko85 said:

These things are psychological and can be complex and have different reasons, but in the end that is clearly a psychological illness, one should see that and just move away rather than feeding the Troll.

True Happiness  can not me measured in wealth if you have much more than you actually need in the first place that is (basic needs), they that have more than they need do not get exited anymore and often need to go to extremes to get any and if still they do not get anything out off it they want to ruin the happiness/joy of others as they actually act like kids with Envy(They Envy the Joy/Excitement the “others” get out off it and for that reason want to end it). So actually its a good thing if you have to save up to what you want, you can see the same with kids that have to wait on Santa to get what they want, when the time finally come they are out off their mind with excitement /joy.

i was reading an article about this and the writer was living among Indian tribe in Amazons, they actually had no word for Envy and everyone had their place and job to do in the tribe so he hardly saw any argument either, so he started to wonder if our modern world makes us more happy or content at all, so why push it over their head if not if it was for our own gains.. very interesting reading

Thats why i keep away from the “big rooms” on internet, to many trolls with issues and im not a Shrink :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

RC related group on Facebook are great places. I especially like the Tamiya Legends group which is very friendly on the whole. Using FB on my phone can post videos and photos in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same thing on a message board. I don't see FB TL group as being more show offy than this place, but it's certainly less cliquey and generally more respectful. I still remember the unfriendly arrogance of some people in here when I first joined.  

Message boards like this have also had their historic threads destroyed by the photobucket debacle. What I've noticed is that a lot of silly old sausages seem to hate FB, which I great because I can't stand people who reject modernity. 

You say this because you don't know what's behind the Tamiya Legends group.
I was an admin of the group, the only italian admin.The founder of the group had created it and then abandoned it.
I took the abandoned group over, rescued and carried it on my own for over a year.
The group's name was "the first 100 vintage tamiya buggies" or something similar.
The name "Tamiya Legends" is my idea.
Then, after more than a year, the previous British founder signed up, ok, then he asked me to be a moderator, ok, then he asked me to be an administrator, ok, then he let three other administrators join (all British), ok, then with a false accusation of homophobia (for a post I made about the designer of the latest Avante) without asking me anything, without asking for clarification, without contacting me, he banned me from the group preventing me from answering, defending myself or whatever.
My post was about the designer's stupid face, he put homophobia on it. I don't know if he's homosexual or not, what does it matter to me if he's homosexual? Nothing.
What does such an accusation have to do with it? Where have I ever written such a thing?
I don't like the latest Avante, I detest it, I think it is a product of absolute ugliness, daughter of an incompetent, young and presumptuous designer, then I posted a photo of its stupid and idiotic face and I wrote: "Now I understand everything".
And with this they banned the admin who managed the group the longest and gave it the name.
What does homophobia have to do with it?
We in Italy say that "sin is in the eye of the beholder".
Accusing others of homophobia where there are no homophobic comments is full-blown homophobes.
The truth is that I was Italian and they were all British and I was intruding on them, different from them, with different culture, different opinions, different approach and no attitude to serve the old fouder of the group.
This is the truth.
Nothing new on the world.
After I saved the group, I carried it forward and I trusted him, them.
I shouldn't have let him back in but I was good, I was correct, I was respectful and I was wrong.
In last times, also because of my mourning for my father's murder, they had isolated me, they no longer considered me, I was unable to follow the group as I would have liked but you will understand the situation I experienced.
Zero empathy.
Kicked out on a false charge, no right of defense.
I have no nostalgia for that rabble because in the end I know what is behind that group: censorship, accusations of racism everywhere (one of the moderators is black), accusations of homophobia, alignment with political correctness, unrespectability, hypocrisy, impropriety , reverted racism, alcoholism, control freakness, authoritarianism, intolerance towards everything and everyone who doesn't think like them, people banned and kicked out with stupid reasons, visceral hate for the Tamiya Club, visceral hate for Rc Kicks, contempt and derision for other FB groups , the attitude of "masters of the world" and of those who have to teach others how to live, contempt for others.
What you see is only the outside, behind it is ****.
Get out of there, that's a toxic place.

Max

Social media and cell phones are going to be the downfall of society. It's way too easy to be nasty to people with zero repercussion whatsoever. Was supposed to bring us all together, but honestly it just seems to bring out the worst in people, and it's bleeding into real life.  

And for people I do care about, turns out I really don't care what you had for dinner, where you went yesterday, what your kids did, what your pet is doing, or what you are outraged about. I don't need to fill my precious, limited time surfing various bits of inconsequential info about other peoples lives. 

Personally, I stopped posting RC stuff years ago on FB, and stopped posting personal info 2 years ago. No more insta, no more Youtube, etc. Honestly, I'm much happier for it.  I'd much rather be wrenching on my toys, and surfing forums about my toys. :) 

• Like 10