Sign in to follow this  
ChrisRx718

LiPo Alarms - Just Shut Up Would You?!!

I have a couple of runners with TEU302BK ESC's which I'm reluctant to get rid of, because I like the design and 'punch' you seem to get out of them, and (touch wood) I've never been let down by one.

As a result of running almost exclusively on LiPo and the lack of LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) on older ESCs, I also have a collection of LiPo voltage testers / alarms.

However, in my experience of 3 different (admittedly, very cheap!) types, every time I pull a lot of amps, generally under heavy throttle, the alarm will sound. Some much more sensitive than others.

Does anyone else have this issue? I find it incredibly irritating. 

Throttle - Ear shattering BLEEEP, brake, throttle - Ear shattering BLEEEP, rinse and repeat. 

Often I'll just unplug them but then I run the risk of cell imbalance / over discharge. 

Is there a better 'type'? Are they all the same rudimentary tech inside?

It's really starting to BLEEEP me off!

I haven't used alarms myself, only low voltage cut offs. Never had any issues with my vintage cars using older ESC's.

Only issue I had was with my M03 race car and the inbuilt LVC (modern ESC & BL). Would cut out under full throttle even with a near full battery.

I fixed that by disabling it as running 5-6min heats brought the voltage down to storage charge.

With my plane I used a suck it and see approach.

Flew for 2 min, checked voltage, fresh battery flew for 3 min, check again.

From memory was 4-5 min run time from the 2200mAh 4S, so set a count down timer on my TX so I knew when it was time to land.

Can you adjust the alarm voltage a bit lower to allow for the peak current drain?

So it will bleep at say 7V under load, when in fact the actual voltage is at say 7.6V for example?

Could you remove the beeper and swap it for a bulb or led?

Just get a voltage meter and check every few min until you get an idea of usage.

I shoved some blu-tac in the bleeper. Still loud enough to hear, not so loud that I want to throw something at it.

I only use an alarm when running silver can in my sand scorcher. I've found that in anything with even mild power, the speed drop off is so severe when the battery gets towards the end that's it's completely obvious it's time to stop, and this is still well above safe voltage. Example, 8T brushless in Stampede, truck would barely move and LVC still above threshold.