Sign in to follow this  
Clutch88

Sand Scorcher rebuild, stripped screws and other issues.

Hello,

I am currently rebuilding an original  Sand Scorcher, its my first project like this, and I could use some advice. The car has been well used, and is covered in thick black grease. So, I have been taking everything apart, cleaning with soapy water and WD40, and seeing what needs to be replaced.

One issue I have run into is stripped grub screws. Most annoyingly on the pinion attached to the motor. Stripped grub screws are also on 2 of the shocks, and on the front suspension. Any idea how I can remove stripped grub screws? I tried to use a dab of superglue, which didn't work.

The rubber around the shocks has perished. Is this part specific to the sand scorcher? If so, can someone point me in the right direction where I could find some.

When I start to rebuild, should I use thread lock on the screws? Also, for lubrication I have some slilcone grease. Is this suitable for the gears and the rest of the car?

Still not sure about electronics yet..., its some thing I should think about.

Would be grateful for some advice,

Thanks.

try to heat the grub screws with a solder iron I think they are stock because of use with threadlock and heat wil get them lose.

and use a good quality hex driver.

some times I use a torx bit that has a tight fit in the stripped grup screws and hamer them in gentle.

you have to use treadlock when you build the car, without it al comes loose'.

• Thanks 1

Lets see pictures of the bad boy. Many of the re-re sand scorcher parts and hardware will probably work, and are available. 

I’m doing the same - restoring my Sand Scorcher from the early 1980’s!  I still have the manual so have stripped it right down and cleaned and polished all the aluminium bits.  It seems quite a lot of the parts are compatible with the re-release but not all.  So far I have added a set of ball races (as my original just used the oil less bushes), new wheels and tyres, some rubber parts like the switch cover and the shock mount rubbers you mention and new o-rings for the shocks, new gearbox and motor covers and a new battery.  I had to buy a new pair of rear arms as I had a stuck grub screw and struggled to even drill it out, so ended up cutting it off!  I checked I could get replacement parts first!  As it happens I found a pair of (rare?) mk1 arms on eBay.  
The only issue I have found so far with parts compatibility is the plastic ball races in the front suspension arms.  The re-release ones don’t fit so I need to find some old stock.   Anyone have any ideas, or how to refresh the worn ones?

there are some good stockists of parts on ebay, 

re the gearbox, I first used a cycle grease but it was too sticky and you could feel the drag, I think because the teeth are so small so I have used a cycle “wet ride” oil and this seems much better.

good luck with the build!