Krustybus

My insect collection (Grasshopper & 2x Beetles) - new pics 02/12

So, I made my introductions in the General section so won't go into that. I got my 'Hopper a couple weeks back now. Spent a couple of evenings getting it up and running.

This is from the other day. Couldn't resist a spin round the garden. In fact, I've done quite a lot of that :P

The kids (5 & 2) are fascinated by it which is cool. Hopefully they'll get to learn how to drive and enjoy.

Next jobs:-

• Paint the body. I'm in 2 minds as I got Kawasaki green then realised there's an actual factory candy green edition
  • Fit the driver figure & light pods. Need to do some final detailing.
  • Eventually I'll fit the Torque Tuned motor just for fun.
  • Already tidied up the wiring...it's a little bit thrown together in the image
  • Any tips on securing the battery door? Not lost it yet but I assume this may be an issue in the future 

I really love the look of some of the T4 Works cars. Would love to pick up some of those parts but the costs with shipping are difficult to justify!

By the way, any recommendations on photo hosting? 

IMG_20200504_164710_795.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good so far!

AmPro on Shapeways make a good few bits for the 'Hopper and Hornet, including an effective battery door solution. 

• Like 2

Looks good so far!

AmPro on Shapeways make a good few bits for the 'Hopper and Hornet, including an effective battery door solution. 

Thanks, I've been following the Superfly projects. Might have to order some parts :) 

Imjur for Hosting pics 

have a look at my grasshopper rescue build 

I have had a read through your thread, looks great :) I started a Postimage account so I'll share some more pics.

I'm going to get the shell painted next so that'll be fun...could be either a moment of triumph or a complete unmitigated disaster!

• Haha 1

A few build pics...

Getting stuck in...I'm sure everything felt much bigger when I was younger lol.

IMG-20200430-220323.jpg

Had to just put the shell and chassis together for a quick pic. Mainly to send to a mate who's building a Lunchbox

IMG-20200430-223540.jpg

Up on it's wheels for the first time. Wanted to do black wheels just for a different look. Only did the outers. In the future I might get another set and play about with colours a bit more. Tyres were easy enough to fit. Just left them in some hot water to soften and they popped right on.

IMG-20200502-165729.jpg

Build finished. Rushed this bit so I could get out for some laps of the garden. Threw the shell on. So much fun in a tight space 😁

IMG-20200504-161544.jpg

So after a few sessions I decided to make a start on the body and detailing Frank

Made a little 'spray booth' out of a box and a bit of bike gear cable.

IMG-20200507-141148.jpg

After a few coats of Tamiya Fine Primer and some rubbing back with 2000 grit I fired in with the Kawasaki Green top coat.  Really happy with the results. Added Frank into the mix and started to add decals.

IMG-20200504-231049.jpg

IMG-20200507-205604.jpg

IMG-20200508-130417.jpg

IMG-20200508-130440.jpg

IMG-20200508-130455.jpg

I'll get some finished pics once I've finished the decals 👍 Loving the paint, it really 'pops' in the sunlight. I did realise afterwards that there's a factory Candy Green Grasshopper but nevermind! Tempted to get another shell and do another paint job as I quite enjoyed it

• Like 3

The pics haven’t auto loaded 

IMG-20200504-161544.jpg

you need to click on the image 

then share 

then copy the direct link 

JJ

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Problemchild said:

you need to click on the image 

then share 

then copy the direct link 

JJ

Got it, thanks 👍 I'd clicked the wrong link obviously lol

A few updates on the 'hopper.

Not done much in the way of running, just lots of laps round the garden and up and down the gravel lane when I can avoid the annoying neighbour 😜

So then. I've switched the motor out for the Torque Tuned. What a difference, it's just about on the edge I think...seems like a brave move going any more wild lol. First run didn't last long before I needed to tighten up the pinion...oops

IMG-20200509-164807.jpg

Got a couple of pics in the sun. Love this colour!

IMG-20200509-171043.jpg

A week or so later I decided I should finish the decals so that's all done. Also added some Jazrider alloy uprights because, well, they just look nice and some red wheel nuts. Here's how it stands right now 😀💚

IMG-20200516-094457.jpg

IMG-20200516-094513.jpg

IMG-20200516-094528.jpg

IMG-20200516-094549.jpg

No real plans now, just run it and fix it when I inevitably break it.

Got some bike parts up for sale so that should find another build once I decide what I want 😜

• Like 3

Little update on the Hopper. Basically been running it quite a bit which lets face it is what they're there for right? Lots more scratches and battle scars.

Anyway, a short while back I ordered a light kit which finally turned up today. 

I went with a 4 lamp kit thinking more lights has got to be better right? I knew I was going to replace the standard kit lamps, they're kind of a defining feature of a Grasshopper. The 2nd set I was torn. Initially I was going to mount them in the front bumper. Then I thought about the Hornet position but they wouldn't sit straight and I'd have to drill the body. 

In the end I found some transparent red plastic to make them shine red and mounted them to the back end. Pleased with the results. Just need to tidy up the wiring as it's bit messy!

Here's some pics of the end result. 

IMG-20200609-221733.jpg

IMG-20200609-221703.jpg

Been for a blast this evening. Great fun 😁

Not going to do much else to this car, just enjoying it's quirks. Once there's some new stock I'll look to building something else...

• Like 5

Looking good im liking that green too I'm thinking of painting my sandscorcher body that colour 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ploots said:

Looking good im liking that green too I'm thinking of painting my sandscorcher body that colour 👍

I'll dig the code out if you need it. It's the Kawasaki green anyway. Love it 😁

I like the rear lights!  Very good stuff.  By the way...  your 5 y.o. is old enough to begin learning all about it!  My 4 y.o. does everything from driving to changing the batteries.  If they show interest... get them in there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krustybus said:

I'll dig the code out if you need it. It's the Kawasaki green anyway. Love it 😁

That would be great if you could thanks 👍

5 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

I like the rear lights!  Very good stuff.  By the way...  your 5 y.o. is old enough to begin learning all about it!  My 4 y.o. does everything from driving to changing the batteries.  If they show interest... get them in there!

They (5yo & 2yo daughters) certainly show an interest. The older one has had a go in the local playing field so there's potential 😜 I'll put the 380 motor back in for them soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ploots said:

That would be great if you could thanks 👍

It's TS-52 candy lime green 👍

3 hours ago, Krustybus said:

It's TS-52 candy lime green 👍

Thanks 😉👍

On 6/10/2020 at 3:34 AM, Krustybus said:

They (5yo & 2yo daughters) certainly show an interest. The older one has had a go in the local playing field so there's potential 😜 I'll put the 380 motor back in for them soon.

My 4 y.o. ran my brushless Stampede into a door in the house.  Replaced the door, but no parts on the Stampede!  :lol:  I go into it with the understanding that it's a matter of when, not if, he is going to crash it!  I just adjust the throttle endpoints before I hand it over to him.  He did drive the BL Stampede full out once.  Once!

My 9 y.o. is currently helping me put together a DT03.  Great parent/kid time,  and she is VERY interested in science, with an emphasis on robotics.  People laugh when they hear I am into RC's,  but quickly shut up when I go into all the different genres of knowledge a young person can learn through this hobby.  I love letting my 4 y.o. do what he does in front of people!  Most are shocked!

• Like 2

That's awesome :D I'm hoping one of them will express an interest in Engineering especially as that's how I pay my bills. They get excited about big yellow diggers (my day job) so there's hope :D

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 11:21 PM, Krustybus said:

Little update on the Hopper. Basically been running it quite a bit which lets face it is what they're there for right? Lots more scratches and battle scars.

Anyway, a short while back I ordered a light kit which finally turned up today. 

I went with a 4 lamp kit thinking more lights has got to be better right? I knew I was going to replace the standard kit lamps, they're kind of a defining feature of a Grasshopper. The 2nd set I was torn. Initially I was going to mount them in the front bumper. Then I thought about the Hornet position but they wouldn't sit straight and I'd have to drill the body. 

In the end I found some transparent red plastic to make them shine red and mounted them to the back end. Pleased with the results. Just need to tidy up the wiring as it's bit messy!

Here's some pics of the end result. 

IMG-20200609-221733.jpg

IMG-20200609-221703.jpg

Been for a blast this evening. Great fun 😁

Not going to do much else to this car, just enjoying it's quirks. Once there's some new stock I'll look to building something else...

Looks awesome any links too the light kit 👊

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, Bennett Ironman said:

Looks awesome any links too the light kit 👊

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-1-10-Tamiya-Grasshopper-2-RC-Car-2pcs-4pcs-Searchlight-Led-Lights-Lamp-Cover/174319599499?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item289641ff8b:g:5r4AAOSwV49e6c2B

I used that kit. Seems to work OK so far. 

I had to tint the rear lights red. I used a red multisurface paint marker and coloured the back side of the lens. I also used some transparent red film as the paint marker alone wasn't red enough lol. You could also use red nail varnish. 

The mounting on the rear is a bit rubbish, I just drilled a couple of holes through the back panel for the wire and then taped the wire down. Not great, need to do something a bit more robust. Love the look though, reminds me of an old Lancia Stratos if you squint hard enough :P 

So, just ordered a Blitzer Beetle...should be fun. Looks like a thread title change unless I start a new one 🤔

I guess it has to turn up first lol

• Like 1

fantastic looking Hopper!! 👌 Love the Lime Green. GET the Kids into it! My 5yr and 9yr old Grandchildren love it.

The Grasshopper IS a timeless classic and I really want one again. Thanks to Covid19, in the U.S., the Kits went from $89.95 to $115.95 in just 3 months!! 😖😞

But it's on my Dream List, should I ever get extra money. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carmine A said:

fantastic looking Hopper!! 👌 Love the Lime Green. GET the Kids into it! My 5yr and 9yr old Grandchildren love it.

The Grasshopper IS a timeless classic and I really want one again. Thanks to Covid19, in the U.S., the Kits went from $89.95 to $115.95 in just 3 months!! 😖😞

But it's on my Dream List, should I ever get extra money. 

Thanks :) It's working lol, had both daughters giving it a go round the garden over the weekend. Their hands are a little small for the transmitter but that's OK. Eldest has just learned how to ride her bike so she's more into that right now...since I love bikes I'm cool with that too :P

Yeah, I had honestly forgotten how much fun they were. My vague memories of my Hopper back in the day were of the 4x AA receiver batteries running out  and the car spiralling out of control (I did upgrade to a BEC eventually), the 5 min run times due to crappy 1200 NiCAD's and begging my Dad to use his car battery to charge them up. Among my mates there was a Bomerang, a Thundershot, a Striker and an older lad had a Mardave Meteor which used to destroy everyone lol.  

Glad I got the re-re, it's a shame I don't still have my original (and the Optima Mid Custom :(). It's reignited the flame lol.

Hopefully the prices/supply will stabilise moving forward once Covid has moved into the middle pages of the news rather than the headlines!

• Like 1

So, a couple of weeks ago I managed to get hold of a Blitzer Beetle. Been wanting one for ages as I think I've already said I'm a fan of old Volkswagens (users to spend nearly every summer weekend at a show about 15 or so years ago!) and this Blitzer appealed due it looking more of a driver than a Scorcher (not to mention much cheaper!) 

IMG-20200624-221010.jpg

So the box sat there tempting me for a few days before I finally got chance to get stuck in! 

IMG-20200629-223407.jpg

That was enough for the first session. Managed to get a couple of hours or so in. Next stage was getting the dampers built up. Really enjoyed this build. Nothing complicated or too fiddly.

Had to get a pic with the Hopper lol

IMG-20200629-223314.jpg

I've got a paint job in mind and have the paint waiting but I do like the black. Not so keen on the knit lines etc in the moulding so it will get paint. Not so keen on the box art graphics either. Patina cars and classic race liveries are what I like. More on that in subsequent posts though.

IMG-20200703-204715.jpg

Last night I got everything up and running. Threw a pack in and went for a shakedown run.

Overall lots of fun potential but I think new tyres for the loose surface will be needed. Garden running is a bit of a push for this one given its size compared to the Grasshopper. Any recommendations on tyres for loose gravel? 

Also if anyone has any tips on suspension set up then that would be great. Coming from a Grasshopper this is like an F1 car 😜

Next step is the fun bit, paint and body 😁

• Like 3