Krustybus

My insect collection (Grasshopper & 2x Beetles) - new pics 02/12

Bit of an update. 

Had a few test runs and  came to the conclusion I might need to do something with the tyres to improve grip. Ordered some Schumacher Vee truck tyres after reading various reviews.

IMG-20200709-132804.jpg

Fitted them up with the Vee 2 up front and the Vee 4 at the rear. Seems like I've got that wrong after a bit of discussion on the Blitzer Facebook group so I may need to revisit that. The tyre descriptions read (to me at least) that the Vee2 is a front specific tyre however it's been suggested that they're actually better out back. If you're on here guys, I'm going to get round to swapping them round once I've finished the body.

So on to that...

I've mentioned before that I'm interested in a kind of patina'd paint finish. First thing to do was to lay down a coating of brown. I'll look up the code if anyone is interested

IMG-20200710-200753.jpg

IMG-20200710-200745.jpg

After this I laid down some white primer. The nose cone didn't get the brown base as I'm working to the assumption that a full size car would most likely have a glass fibre nose so therefore wouldn't rust through. Maybe a bit of a pointless detail but never mind lol.

After the primer, I dropped on the 'coral blue' top coat. Loving the colour! 

IMG-20200713-221545.jpg

IMG-20200713-221646.jpg

That's as far as I've got. Next stage is to start sanding to get some of that brown and primer to come through. It might work, if it looks crap then I'll just repaint.

Also painted Barry the driver, I'll get some pics of him in my next update 😁

First attempt at anything like this so I'm bound to be doing something wrong...it's all learning to though!

• Like 3

More updates...

So I started on trying to create the patina look on the shell.

IMG-20200715-212004.jpg

Gave it a rub with some 400 grit wet and dry and got the rusty spots coming through. Quite pleased with how it turned out. 

After going over the whole body I gave the details a going over picking out the handles and window frames in black and aluminium then the tail lights in red. Also added the lights, number plates and a few of the decals...oh yeah and Barry the driver. Had to get a couple of snaps with the Hopper.

IMG-20200716-222917.jpg

IMG-20200716-223000.jpg

Think they look good together 😊

Finally, had a bit of a run with it this afternoon. Switched the front tyres back to the kit ones, mostly because they look better as the Schumacher tyres are a little wide for the Blitzer wheels.

IMG-20200717-143126.jpg

IMG-20200717-143131.jpg

Still need to add some of the small chrome bits such as the VW badge and mirrors and then a little more paint detail. Needs a faster motor so think I'll swap motors with the Grasshopper as that has a Torque Tuned.

Loving it how it's come together. 

• Like 6

Not much to report, just swapped the motors round. Now got a Torque Tuned in the Blitzer and the stock 540 silver can in the Hopper. I'll probably get something a bit more fruity for the Blitzer moving forward.

Next changes for the Blitzer will be a Kamtech lexan shell for running so I don't mess up the kit body. Also got another body work project coming up for a charity Blitzer build. More on that in a couple of weeks 👍 

I'm also looking at a turnbuckle kit so I can play around with the chassis but not made any moves on that yet.

IMG-20200729-210602.jpg

As for the Grasshopper, only thing I've done is charged the battery and give it a run. Kind of miss the Torque Tuned, it's not quite as wild now lol. Still fun though and it can of course run in the dark 😜

IMG-20200727-213828.jpg

IMG-20200727-213811.jpg

• Like 1

The Blitzer Beetle Body really looks the business Mate!! 👌👏👏👏👏  That Car has been on my list as well. Like you, I'm a fan of Classic Beetles. The Kamtec Body is DEFINITELY a wise investment. My good Friend has one, and has completely thrashed the Hardbody!! 😲😖  At least he's having fun.... 

NICE job on the Patina! 😎  Not intending to be the copycat - but I've really got the same idea in mind. Fortunately Kamtec has a reasonable Shipping solution to the U.S.  A while back, I got their Bowler Body, that I'm planning on doing something interesting to my CC-01 when I get the time/money.

Again, I LOVE that Grasshopper!!!😁  You have convinced me to get one, when I can afford to. I want to get two..... 

ONE, will be a Superfly II - the one with independent Front AND Rear Suspension!!! 😁😉  The other Hopper will just have Independent Front. I'm good friends with Alberto of AmPro Engineering - and I will definitely be doing Business with him!! 😉

Also, for a lower Torque yet higher Speed solution... I'm going 2840 4200kv Brushless!! 😁  It's roughly the size of a 390 Brushed, crazy fast, but since the venerable Grasshopper is known for everything BUT grip and stability, it won't just sit and do donuts should I goose the Throttle.

Once again.... NOT trying to be a copycat - but that Kawasaki Green just SCREAMS Grasshopper!! 👍👍  Plus, when I built my first Hopper in 1985, I had a KX-125 Dirtbike. Why not pay homage to that as well?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply to my thread, your enthusiasm is infectious! 

I love my little Grasshopper, have a soft spot for them since it was my first 'proper' RC (think I've mentioned that a few times lol). The Ampro stuff is really interesting, I'd consider getting another Hopper to start playing about with but I think the shipping to the UK is a bit of a killer. I'm a design engineer by trade so I maybe should start designing and printing my own bits really lol. We'll see what happens there!

I also fancy dropping a Beetle shell on to the Hopper chassis. I was chatting to someone on the Grasshopper/Hornet Facebook group which got me excited about doing that...too many options and not enough time or money! 

I think the Grasshopper should have always been green from the start, never mind these special editions lol. 

Had a session this evening round the lane behind my house. It makes for a fun little area to blast up and down. Took the Blitzer out first. Good fun kicking up some dust and gravel but took it easy.

Got the Grasshopper out next as it always makes me smile as it bounces up and down over the bumps. Anyway got a bit carried away

IMG-20200811-202431.jpg

Poor thing suffered a bit of damage after a spectacular roll over ☹️ I'll try gluing it back together for now...gives it more character I guess 😜

Got a lexan shell for running on the Blitzer so I'll update once there's some progress. Also got a few more tweaks in the pipeline for it 👍

On 6/9/2020 at 11:21 PM, Krustybus said:

Little update on the Hopper. Basically been running it quite a bit which lets face it is what they're there for right? Lots more scratches and battle scars.

Anyway, a short while back I ordered a light kit which finally turned up today. 

I went with a 4 lamp kit thinking more lights has got to be better right? I knew I was going to replace the standard kit lamps, they're kind of a defining feature of a Grasshopper. The 2nd set I was torn. Initially I was going to mount them in the front bumper. Then I thought about the Hornet position but they wouldn't sit straight and I'd have to drill the body. 

In the end I found some transparent red plastic to make them shine red and mounted them to the back end. Pleased with the results. Just need to tidy up the wiring as it's bit messy!

Here's some pics of the end result. 

IMG-20200609-221733.jpg

IMG-20200609-221703.jpg

Been for a blast this evening. Great fun 😁

Not going to do much else to this car, just enjoying it's quirks. Once there's some new stock I'll look to building something else...

Dude awesome job what light kit is that your using ?

• Like 1

@Bennett Ironman it's an eBay special from China. Works quite well. If you search for Grasshopper light kit they should come up. You can get them in either 2 lamp or 4 lamp configs. The taillights take a bit of customising to get the red lenses. I used a red magic marker type thing from the kids craft box lol. 

• Thanks 1

Whilst I'm here u have a couple of updates.

Firstly, I glued the Grasshopper back together so that's ready to fight another day...I'm sure there will be plenty more incidents based on the next upgrade...

IMG-20200819-141100.jpg

So I stole the TT motor from the Hopper and put it in my Blitzer. Felt that while the normal silver can is fun a Sport Tuned would be more fun so I ordered one. Also ordered a DT02 turnbuckle kit so I can play about with the suspension. Not fitted it yet though.

I also recently purchased a lexan Kamtec body for the Blitzer and finally got it trimmed and painted. Next step is some decals. Pretty pleased with it, first attempt at a two tone paint job. Used Tamiya tape so the lines are pretty sharp if a little wonky lol.

IMG-20200826-150559.jpg

IMG-20200826-150616.jpg

Still need to paint those wheels lol...

Small update...

Added some decals to the lexan Kamtec shell. Quite like how it turned out

IMG-20200827-204809.jpg

IMG-20200827-204828.jpg

Still prefer the proper shell though. Got some more ideas for this one 

IMG-20200827-205101.jpg

IMG-20200827-205115.jpg

Also put a Sport Tuned motor in it. Only had a quick run but feels good.

In other news got another project on the way but I'll have to start a new thread for that one...

• Like 1

Got a few updates.

Fitted a DT-02 turnbuckle kit to the Blitzer. Had a play about getting all set up and think I've got it somewhere I'm happy with. Got a little negative camber front and rear and got her tracking nice and straight. Pleased with how it goes now. I'll post some more detailed pics later.

For now you'll just have to make do with this one (pre-turnbuckles on the Blitzer)

IMG-20200912-000436.jpg

New project is in the house lol. Picked up this sweet little black beauty. Body needs a paint job, got a brand new body and decals already. Other than that it just needs a motor and electrics. 

She's a thing of beauty 🥰

Grasshopper still gets run regularly, it's the kids favourite 😁

• Like 3

Been a little while since I last posted.

Got the Kyosho Beetle running thanks to a Hobbywing 1060 and a HPI Firebolt 15T brushed motor. End result is quite satisfying. It's great fun to drive. Unfortunately the Blitzer had to give up it's receiver and tranny but never mind.

IMG-20200928-144650.jpg

Here she is on my 'test track' after her maiden run. As I've said, great car to drive!

Got some new bits ordered including 2 sets of wheels and a new body & factory decals.

Both sets of wheels are the 2.2" Turbo Scorpion wheels, one in white and one in satin chrome. Threw some Schumacher tyres on the white set which will be the main runners. 

IMG-20201109-220455.jpg

I love how these things look. Maybe less 'scale' looking but I don't care 😜 

IMG-20201109-220527.jpg

Now toying with selling my Blitzer as I really fancy a Turbo Optima...turning into a bit of a Kyosho fan boy 😁

Grasshopper is still running...I have a Sport Tuned motor to try out when I get round to it...

• Like 2