Sign in to follow this  
Dr_GN

Tamiya PC Spray vs Pot Colour Match?

All,

I finally go my new Frog body through. In ‘84 I painted the original with Tamiya PC Pink and IIRC Humbrol PC white. I used normal Humbrol black enamel on the cage with no issue. I can’t seem to find a Tamiya Pink paint pot for sale, so wondered if the Tamiya Fluorescent Pink PS Spray was the same colour? I want to keep the original look. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

PS11 is the correct Pink for a frog. The Fluorescent Pink is very different

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

PS11 is the correct Pink for a frog. The Fluorescent Pink is very different

+1

And the fluoro pink doesn't adhere well either for some reason...

The old PC paint pots aren’t available anymore, so only PS is available now from Tamiya for Lexan/polycarbonate

On 5/6/2020 at 2:22 PM, Falcon#5 said:

+1

And the fluoro pink doesn't adhere well either for some reason...

+1 

All the fluorescent Tamiya PS paints adhere less well than the other colours, and I have no idea why. However, I have started priming the surface with PS55 Flat Clear before putting on any of the fluor colours. It's visually not noticeable, but the fluor paints adhere a lot better then. I use PS55 as a primer for non-lexan paints on lexan too when I want or need to use a special colour. (mostly OEM car paints to replicate an actual car). With equally good results with regard to paint adherence, by the way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

The old PC paint pots aren’t available anymore, so only PS is available now from Tamiya for Lexan/polycarbonate

+1

The match between PC and PS if also not very good for quite many of the hues. 

PC8 Light Green  is quite a lot brighter than PS8 Light Green.

PC5 Black is a bit greyish compared to PS5 Black, which is good for replicating rubber!

PC11-PC18, the metallics in the PC-range, are a lot less vibrant and metallic than their PS11-PS18 counterparts, even when stirred and airbrushed properly. 

There may be some visual differences between other PC and PS colours too, but not that I can recall from the top of my head.

48 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

+1

The match between PC and PS if also not very good for quite many of the hues. 

PC8 Light Green  is quite a lot brighter than PS8 Light Green.

PC5 Black is a bit greyish compared to PS5 Black, which is good for replicating rubber!

PC11-PC18, the metallics in the PC-range, are a lot less vibrant and metallic than their PS11-PS18 counterparts, even when stirred and airbrush properly. 

There may be some visual differences between other PC and PS colours too, but not that I can recall from the top of my head.

Allegedly the PC pots contained hazardous materials in the eyes of the EU hence they were stopped - how much truth is there in this? This is what we were told by the UK distributor at the time (probably 2006/7?)

I had an old pot of PC-5 which I used for detailing jobs, it was very useful as you didn't need to mask everything off to just do a lip spoiler (thanks Tamiya). However; I opened it last week and it has turned to a gooey tar-like sludge in the pot :( So it's now in the bin!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Allegedly the PC pots contained hazardous materials in the eyes of the EU hence they were stopped - how much truth is there in this? This is what we were told by the UK distributor at the time (probably 2006/7?)

I have no knowledge about the reason in this specific case, and the UK distributor quite possibly told the truth. What I do know however, is that Tamiya distributors in general tend to blame Tamiya for running out of stock themselves, lack of (own) knowledge, not supporting products, not carrying a certain range of Tamiya products or stopping to do so.  Quite often, they can easily be proven wrong. 

The same goes for hobby shops,  either blaming the distributor or Tamiya for shortcomings for what is clearly and actually the results of their own incompetence, ignorance, lack of control over their own logistics or simply because they won't admit that they don't stock or care to order certain items because they consider the profit to be too low. I've experienced it all and in many cases, it was easy to prove them wrong.

As for PC paints possibly containing hazardos materials, I don't have a clue, but I'm arrogant enough to still have an unqualified opinion :P  :

For me, and I guess anyone who has used both PC and PS paints extensively, It's very hard to believe that PC paints are more hazardous to health than the PS paints are. I fully appreciate that the PC paints may contain a hazardous component that the PS paints don't contain, so if the EU actually stopped the PC paints, that may have been based on a certain legitimate logic.  Still, I have a very hard time believing that using PC paints, especially when brushed, can be more hazardous to health than using PS paints is. Furthermore, when thinned with window cleaner for airbrushing, the PC droplets clearly hover (is that the appropriate word?) in the air for a lot shorter time than droplets from PS paints do, which I reckon reduces the likelihood of inhaling PC paint compared to PS paint. 

I fully understand that this doesn't prove anything and my knowledge about chemistry is inadequate to support my opinion any deeper, but if the EU actually, directly or indirectly, banned the PC paints, while still allowing the PS paints, it seems to me like yet another case of decisions by the EU based on theory with total disregard for reality. Maybe with good intentions, but for the "lesser good".

By the way, some time ago I checked old Tamiya catalogs in an attempt to find out when the PC paints were actually discontinued. I was unable to reach a solid conclusion, so I can't tell a specific year, but my impression is that the PC paints were discontinued also in the domestic market for quite some years ago too.  My assumption because of lack of demand. That said, I can't exclude the possibility that PC paints were still made and sold by/for Tamiya after that and even still possibly are. I mean, not being listed in the (Japanese version of the) Tamiya catalog doesn't prove anything. I just assume that they're completely discontinued in all markets. Finding NOS left in shops is possible, but from my experience, they are always the "wrong" colours that never actually sold much, like dark green, pink, bronze, gold and metallic red.

• Like 1

I have a few spare PC paints in jars but can only send within the UK.

Let me know which colours you are looking for and I'll have a look.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

If you should be outside the UK and really want PC paints, I can possibly serve as a back-up solution.  If so, please feel free to contact me.

4 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

PS-4 blue is noticeably darker than PC-4. I'd read as such in various places and after trying it out, that seems to be the case:

volvo-850-splitters-blues.thumb.jpg.293996404fb0a8785de2c37a24fde26d.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Thanks, the main one I need is the original Tamiya pink, but white and black would be good too, although I guess they are more easily available from other sources than Taniya?