Sign in to follow this  
ReD-BaRoN

Looking for Blackfoot tires for dirt track

Hey folks,

I'm looking for tires I can use on stock Blackfoot wheels that would work well in loose dirt (back yard track). I'm pretty sure the Blackfoot wheels are 2.2". I see a lot of cool looking tires, but they seem to be focused on crawling, which I'm not looking for.

I was looking at the Pro line Destroyers 2.2, any others I should consider?

Also, what are foams used for? Is this to firm up the tire?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

BTW, I'm not going for any "look" (like monster truck or otherwise),  just something that will perform well.

The foams give support to the carcass instead of air pressure.

You can use stadium truck race tires on the stock wheels. As weird as it sounds, the modern stadium trucks happened because of the Blackfoot.

I find the stock tyres work well in that environment 

I’m a tire addict and love buying vintage 2.2 tires for the Bushy D.  And I have a loose dirt backyard “track”.

I love my Imex Claw Dawgs in those conditions. Lots of dirt flying everywhere.  Very hard to find tho...

Look for vintage Proline 2.2 tires for on eBay. I have Gladiators and Excalibers. Both are pretty good in loose dirt.  Fun since they slide around more.

Do NOT buy the 2:2/3.0 tires. They won’t fit right.

Currently I’m running HPI mud thrashers, but that took quite a bit of work...  Big and fat, but those chevron monster tires are crap for traction IMO.  They just look cool...

beers...

Terry

And I use foam on all my tires unless I know they will get wet, ie my Proline Sand Paws for beach driving...

Terry

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What about Monster Beetle tyres? Aren't they just BF chevrons with little spikes?

They're also a softer compound if memory serves. I recently got a shore A tester (because I really, really want colored clod tires) for picking compounds and molding my own.

See below a bunch of results of what I had convenient nearby

Results:. @68 deg ambient

Stock BF Shore 80

MB Shore 75

Stock clod Shore 75

Bruiser clone BF tires Shore 75

Imex Clod Pullers Shore 55

RC4wd Mil spec ZXL(X4 compound) Shore 50

Cc01 option tires Shore 65

JCon GoldYears (Gold compound) Shore 65

Printed OpenRC F1 tires Shore 85 (Ninjaflex TPU) as a control. Tester reads as advertised material specs.

Test procedures are ASTM 2240 if anyone's curious.

Re: the above, and just to need out a bit... there's a lot more that goes into tire design than simply compound (softness). Things like carcass thickness, foams density (scale air pressure.. ish),tread block size and so on.  Like I said before, this is all just an experiment to see if I can do it with the pourable rubber available. 

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

And I use foam on all my tires unless I know they will get wet, ie my Proline Sand Paws for beach driving...

Terry

Is there some special type of foam, or can they be made from foam pipe insulation or similar?

2 hours ago, ReD-BaRoN said:

Is there some special type of foam, or can they be made from foam pipe insulation or similar?

I bought a bunch of cheap proline foams years ago.

Terty