Rhino1977

Aqroshot - returning hobbysit - newbie help tips please

Hi there, I am a new member having just bought an Aqroshot. I just posted on the vintage discussion about my old Hilux Monster Racer I used to race in the North West in the 90s, as there seem to be a few trying to rebuild old kits. However, I have a query about my new purchase. I have seen some helpful posts and conflicting advice, but I went for the Aqroshot anyway (kids can use r/c cars but are only 9 and 7) and it arrives from Wonderland models next week (fingers crossed!). My questions, despite research, for now are:

1. Does it come with brushless compatible ESC?

2. Servo – basic starter pack or genuine need to upgrade – if so, which one? I have seen people rating £15 ones and they seem to go up to £100+

3. Is the standard (I believe) hop up engine any good – thinking of moving quickly to a 13.5T – any need to change the 17T pinion (maybe after the kids get used to it!)

4. If you go brushless, any tips? I don't have soldering kit and all that (but probably will in due course if the kids take to it) Do any come with Tamiya (rather than Lipo connectors? I had a great combo from Orion - Vortex I think  - on my 2010 Ansmann Pro which was ready to install out of the box.

4. Tyres – I have some decent Schumacher tyres from my hilux from back in the day – should they just fit / swap?

5. Does it come with oil shocks or not – online manual says no, but I have seen descriptions and videos of unboxing with them (including surprise when it arrives with oil shocks)

6. I have bought some ballrace set, but any other worthwhile hop ups?

Things seem to have moved on a bit from the 90's! Many thanks for any help (above or generally!) - I really would appreciate it.

1. Does it come with esc? If so which one? 

2. i use futaba 3003 or 3004 reliable, pretty cheap, been using since 80s

3.What engine? 540 can? torque sport tuned?

4. lipo

5. check mounting 

6. should be eaasy to find out on internet

7. always a steel pinion

Welcome!

A good choice of model there. Some don't like the shell, but I think it looks great, especially when joined by some grippier tyres. And the chassis is lots of fun for beginners and experienced hobbyists alike.

In answer to your questions:

1. Probably. Some are bundled with ESCs, some aren't. If it was bundled with an ESC from the factory, it will be the TBLE-02 which is brushless compatible. Some hobby shops put in a different ESC if they are assembling their own bundles, and some ship with no ESC at all.

2. You don't need to spend a fortune, but with the long axles and big protruding wheels, the Aqroshot is harder on its servo than most 1/10 scale vehicles, so you might want to consider a metal-geared one. But fear not - no need for a £100+ race servo. Even budget servos can be bought with metal gears.

3. The stock motor is fine for pootling around the yard, but a 13.5t brushless one is far more fun. A 13.5t motor can easily handle a 17t or 19t pinion, so you can pick the one that suits your preference - more acceleration or more top end. Just get a steel one rather than the soft alloy one which wears out in no time, coating the spur in grey grinding paste.

4. If you want to go brushless, you'll want a better connector than the Tamiya one, so even if your ESC comes with one fitted, you'd be best off getting rid and soldering on a proper one that can handle the current. I prefer Deans, XT60s are also preferred by many.

4 (again). You'll want something better than the stock tyres, so if the Schumachers will fit, give them a try!

5. Mine did!

6. Bearings and a steel pinion are the essentials, and alloy gearbox bridges help keep the back end together far better than the plastic ones, which if they fail, typically result in a broken gearbox and/or chassis too. I also fitted alloy C-hubs to mine because I broke one on my DT-02 which uses the same hubs, so I wanted to pre-empt a similar breakage on my Aqroshot.

Thanks Finn, it comes with a sport tuned I believe. ESC, I have seen it suggest a "ESC model : TBLE-02S" online, but again reports are conflicting - the seller didn't say it needed an ESC. My brushless in the Ansmann works pretty well with 3000Mah Nimh - god knows how it would go on lipo

Thanks Turnip - really helpful. Is there any point doing a connector swap / changeover (extra piece) rather than re-soldering? Sounds like you are saying getting rid of the Tamiya connectors altogether which is what I did on my Hilux MR back in the day

The adapters have their place - I use them when I want to run a LiPo in a vintage model with a stock silver can for example, where the gentle current draw from the tame motor won't overload the Tamiya connector, which is part of the vintage look. However when running a LiPo with a motor that can pull any significant amount of current, such as the 13.5t brushless you are considering, it is best to remove the Tamiya connectors from the equation entirely as they are prone to melting, and even if they don't melt, short and blow up your battery, they still form a resistance bottleneck which limits performance. 

Given I have a week to wait for it, thought I might as well use the time to get some other bits to avoid lots of rebuilding in the first few days (but similarly I don't want to overdo it and make it unuseable for the kids!)

I just finished one. I would suggest 19t pinion and either a 13.5t sensored or the Goolrun 4300KV sensorless. Just remember that the pinion is not .6 mod but .8 mod.

Agroshot

By Busdriver, April 9 in The Builds

•  

•  
  •  
  •  

Busdriver

•  
  • Members
  • 1009 posts

I got back into this hobby with a CC01 Defender. I kept asking questions about various models to move onto. On many of the occasions the answer was the Agroshot/Aqroshot and I ignored them going for Blitzer, MadBull, Wild One etc etc. A liitle while back Jadlam were doing a special offer on the dancing rider which I ordered along with a load of hopups from around the world (some of which I am still waiting for), but just before I pulled the trigger I spotted an Ag/qroshot and added it to the pile. Well the time has come to do it. The only thing I am certain about is that it will be Metallic Orange.

First picture a fairly easy body to cut out.

IMG_1916.JPG.6a27590e2d8695fc97c5e9b104ee5527.JPG

Problemchild

•  
  • Problemchild
  • Members
  • 1103 posts

I keep looking at the aqroshot - i really like the look 

JJ

•  

ThunderDragonCy

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • ThunderDragonCy
  • Members
  • 3593 posts

Looking forward to seeing this. I am not a fan of the body but i love love orange so maybe the colour will change my mind. Remember to get some of those sticky full size car wheel balance weights and stash them around the front of the chassis. You can get some in the front cavities if you do it before step 1.

You and matisse reacted to this
  •  

Busdriver

•  
  • Members
  • 1009 posts

Well this is one version of Orange!!!

IMG_1918.JPG.69b3fcbfe519f8cfdbd23f44d9add31e.JPG

But like an emerging butterfly

IMG_1919.JPG.006d2ae37f760550ea6bd454072e0091.JPGIMG_1920.JPG.3d5fd49e1fda8805372b430489585ec6.JPGIMG_1921.JPG.ec0fe5dc99c2afe736d908fc8e504aa5.JPG

Mmmmm Chocolate Orange or perhaps Jaffa cakes!!!!! Apologies for the photography. In real life the orange is alive. Its Tamiya Metallic orrange, backed with Core RC metallic silver then Black. The black detailing is on the outside. Cut the overspray film to reveal the bits that needed colour then Black followed by flat coat. Will probably get the rest of it built by the end of the weekend as I have all the bits. I think the wheels are going to be either black or Gunmetal as I think white might be too stark a contrast. More to follow......

•  

Busdriver

•  
  • Members
  • 1009 posts
On 4/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Remember to get some of those sticky full size car wheel balance weights and stash them around the front of the chassis. You can get some in the front cavities if you do it before step 1.

I have some lead flashing that I cut up to use in the noses of tricycle undercarriage model planes. What amount of weight are we talking about. Will be running 13.5T blue bottle, thats if the sensor lead is long enough, mind you I can borrow the one from the Asterion as that is bound to be.

matisse reacted to this
  •  

ThunderDragonCy

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • ThunderDragonCy
  • Members
  • 3593 posts
On 4/10/2020 at 2:58 PM, Busdriver said:

I have some lead flashing that I cut up to use in the noses of tricycle undercarriage model planes. What amount of weight are we talking about. Will be running 13.5T blue bottle, thats if the sensor lead is long enough, mind you I can borrow the one from the Asterion as that is bound to be.

I have about 45 grams of weight stashed either side of the chassis just behind the steering arms in a little recess, on top of the tub near the central body mount and a couple on the end of the servo saver. I didn't know about weighting it until after I built it so mine's all on the outside. Something around 45-60 grams will be grand.

You reacted to this
  •  

Busdriver

•  
  • Members
  • 1009 posts

This has turned into the quickest build I think ive done so here goes!!!!!

IMG_1922.JPG.8530f143b143b87eb1557cc64a8e3f38.JPGIMG_1923.JPG.9a2e30c4fe02dc691d36f66f37b840f3.JPGIMG_1924.JPG.8eb2f69c31795ecb4716577f2bd00bc7.JPGIMG_1925.JPG.88f8763b6a1b7360abe554e16c5e57de.JPGIMG_1926.JPG.aaf0777f9f30b5e56db409be4844a4f3.JPGIMG_1927.JPG.451bf9b5d464a043f00388da3c252ac8.JPGIMG_1928.JPG.28b48cbbb5eb80fce8c37f567df406b5.JPGIMG_1929.JPG.9a58bc77a49f3e71bde24b6cba5c316e.JPGIMG_1933.JPG.ccb3287a014f1dd331a56d9bd43e6a94.JPGIMG_1934.JPG.35c0c8c84b38e5c32a0708308ff646b6.JPGIMG_1935.JPG.3866f03cee7d4099e6bc6a3065ab92de.JPGIMG_1938.JPG.d4e76a7fc4204eff904ccf7971477caa.JPG

Its a very straightforeward build with no real complications. The motor and electrics arent in it as I was not in the mood for soldering, also I need a sensor cable as I'm going to fit a 13.5T "bluebottle" and 19T pinion. Doubt if I'll put any more stickers on. Less is more as they say. Just have to work out where to fit the driver, as not a kit item.

IMG_1932.JPG

Badcrumble, matisse, TurnipJF and 2 others reacted to this
  •  

Busdriver

•  
  • Members
  • 1009 posts

Some more Orange arrived yesterday.

IMG_1945.JPG.ddc489e4f9c924f34db135e790d5b225.JPGIMG_1946.JPG.28a1d4eaf41178becef47816b559aa40.JPG

This is what I've got in my Blitzer and its really good. Have ordered a 19T .8 mod pinion as the one I had was mod .6. Will use kit stock 17t for shake down set up trials. Infact I ordered  2 19T pinions as I beleive DT-02 uses the same:ph34r: not that I've got one. YET

IMG_1952.JPG.4da53f1d370b94f94ff0527d62c0656c.JPG

Badcrumble and TurnipJF reacted to this
  •  
Reply to this topic...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Copyright Netsmith 2019 Powered by Invision Community

Apologies for the above. Dont know what happened:rolleyes:

I got my hornet from wonderland. It was 4 days after came into stock it arrived via DHL which I don’t think you can complain about in current climate so hopefully arrives as expected!

Yeah, they have been helpful and I even got a 5% discount through before I ordered, which might have swayed me! Fingers crossed for next week. I just hadn't realized the shortage / demand (should have thought I wasn't the only one with a bright idea really!)

2 weeks later and still no aqroshot - perhaps might be one in June. I had to chase a few times to find out sadly. They offered me an in stock mad bull or hornet which are not really the same level - everything else looks out of stock. I think I might cancel.