DrGoatboy

Runtime 2wd Vs 4wd

After years of having a lunchbox I have recently purchased a lovely vintage manta ray. I've put modern ESC and radio gear in it and all is going well.

I am using the same NiMH battery packs I used in my lunchbox (which runs a sports tuned) and the batteries last at least 30mins in the lunchbox but only about 15mins in the manta ray. 

Now I guess the manta is a a smidge heavier, and has the extra battery draw of 4wd but I wasn't expecting that much difference. 

Is that normal? Maybe  my battery pack is dieing and it's just a coincidence. Never had 4wd tamiya before so I don't know what to expect. 

That is perfectly normal comparing these two vehicles.

The Lunchbox has a very simple and efficient drivetrain with few parts and low rotating mass, geared low, driving a simple and light chassis.

The Manta Ray is heavier overall, with more parts that rotate giving more friction in the drivetrain. You don't mention whether it has been ballraced - being vintage it may not be as bearings cost a fortune back in the day. Even if it has been, it would still have more drivetrain friction than a Lunchbox. Also, being a wider, lower chassis capable of handling far higher speeds than a Lunchbox, it is typically geared for speed, which draws more current, again impacting on runtime. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks turnip. What a great explanation! Makes perfect sense.

Looks like it's Lipo time!!!