Howdy,

What is the best way to lock the diffs on a GF01? I read about glue, putty, etc. I was thinking hot melt glue. Ideas?

I was thinking hot melt glue would allow me to unlock the diff if I needed to later on.

Hot melt glue works fine as a locking agent, but the rig actually runs better with diffs that are slowed but not fully locked. Putty achieves this, slowing the diff significantly without locking it completely. 

• Thanks 2

I've used cotton balls stuffed between the gears.  It works, and it's easy to reverse later.

• Thanks 2

You asked locking, but might I suggest "almost-locking?"  

On dirt, clays work as if diffs are locked.  But on pavement, it still allows some differential.  It's best of both worlds.  In real 1:1 car, it would be called "Limited Slip Differential (LSD)."  

Unlike hot glue or cotton balls, it's not easy to undo.  (But you can adjust how stiff it would be by adding more or taking out some)

Tamiya sells its own differential putty.  Some of it is included in Dynahead kit because that is a crawler of a sort.  Just something to consider.  

WZOHpm1.jpg

Z7gJ2Pm.jpg

POs5Y9n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A 1cm piece of the Tamiya putty per little wheel works well for slow but not locked diffs. If they are not new gears you need to make sure they are 100 clean of grease before you put it on. Then just a little grease on the spider and back of the big gears 

• Thanks 1