Bromley

M chassis negative offset wheels.

I'll be building an M05 Mini very soon. This will be my first M chassis.

I'm starting with an M05 NSU TT kit. I already have a wide arch mini body, 180mm overall width. I just need some wheels to fill the arches. Preferably a Minilite design or similar. A 4mm to 6mm negative offset should do it.

Anybody got some wheel recommendations? I would like to use the kit tyres if at all possible. 

I have searched for wheels but M chassis size wheels seem a limited choice.

M-size wheels in non-stock offsets are not easy to come by at all. You might be better off using TG10 long axles and super-wide hexes instead.

• Like 2

Are these a direct fit front and rear?

Just requiring longer hexes?

1 minute ago, Bromley said:

Are these a direct fit front and rear?

Just requiring longer hexes?

Yes indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It think you have what sounds like the same Mini body I put on my M07. I just used standard M-chassis wheels and left it looking a bit wierd. It's terribly fun to drive though so I don't mind the odd wheels-too-small look.

3 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

It think you have what sounds like the same Mini body I put on my M07. I just used standard M-chassis wheels and left it looking a bit wierd. It's terribly fun to drive though so I don't mind the odd wheels-too-small look.

It's the slidelogy classic mini body with 225mm wheelbase. Bought from M-racing.

The body looks fine. It's a bit annoying that its sold as an M body by a company who specializes in M chassis parts,but it clearly doesn't fit a standard M chassis.

Ride made m chassis wheels in a few different offsets, I think minilites too. I have couple of sets of +3s and +6s, and the extra dish looks cool. (Sorry, in storage). You could also try HPI cup racer wheels in various offsets, cannot remember if their tyres are proprietary though.

ABCHOBBY made some too I believe.

20 hours ago, Bromley said:

It's the slidelogy classic mini body with 225mm wheelbase. Bought from M-racing.

The body looks fine. It's a bit annoying that its sold as an M body by a company who specializes in M chassis parts,but it clearly doesn't fit a standard M chassis.

Thats the one I got too. At 225mm wheelbase I think it's scale is off. The Mini really scales correctly to the shorter (215mm?) wheelbase. Unfortunately the M07 only goes down to 225mm. Still, tremendously good fun to drive.

On 5/7/2020 at 4:24 AM, c64orinoco said:

Pics required!

I ordered two bodies, this is sitting on my mates M05. My kit isn't here yet.

Thinking about returning them to be honest. 

IMG-20200506-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200506-WA0001.jpg

I bought these bodies as they were reasonably cheap. Don't really want to have to spend more money on axles and hexes. There must be mini bodies that fit properly without modification. 

1 hour ago, Kevin_Mc said:

Pics required!

Here you go. You can see the wheels are a bit too small and tucked too far under the body. Who cares it's a Mini with a Union Jack and it goes like the clappers.

IMG_1041.thumb.jpg.0f7fc4e4759a4284ee11d52195fe7ee2.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bromley said:

I ordered two bodies, this is sitting on my mates M05. My kit isn't here yet.

Thinking about returning them to be honest. 

Thats the same body I have. See my pics for how it looks on a M07. I think the M07-225mm size is the same as M05-225mm. It looks a bit odd standing still but you don't notice it at speed.

I didn't bother with any axle mods, I just accepted that it looks a bit odd. I think the "right" scale for a M-Chassis mini is the 215mm versions. Scaled up to 225mm it fits but looks odd because the wheels look too small. Thats what mine looks like standing still. Once it is at speed it's a MINI AT SPEED so I'm not too fussed.

23 hours ago, berman said:

You could also try HPI cup racer wheels in various offsets, cannot remember if their tyres are proprietary though.

You're right, they use their own tyres. I have them on my HPI 2002 on an M04 chassis.Mx60 wheels, I think they call the tyres 'vintage'?

I don't know how easy it is to get them now. 0,3 and 6mm offset.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?search=1&search_string=HPI+mx60

• Like 1

Wow, those are some huge arches! Could they perhaps be made less obtrusive with creative trimming? You'd lose the outer lip, but perhaps a price worth paying? If you paint them black, they'd resemble the fibreglass arch extensions seen on some fullsize Minis, and these don't always have outer lips...