schlabinski

Super Clod Buster nod to the original plus Ice Monster lexan

Hi Everyone!  I’ve been visiting the TamiyaClub forum for years on my lunch break at work, but just registered recently now that I have a little more time to contribute.  My first hobby grade RC was a Tamiya Blackfoot, followed by a Kyosho Optima Mid.  I regrettably sold those for next to nothing after a few years of dedicated use.  I got back into RC in the early 2000s and have been building, driving, and collecting since.  The addiction is real.  Now that I’m married and have a toddler, I lack the time to go anywhere very interesting to drive the RCs, so the bumpy grass in the backyard is where I end up most of the time.  As a result, I’ve been having fun revisiting some of the late 80s Tamiya monster trucks that I remember from RC magazines and hobby store shelves.  I’m very thankful that so many of these classics have been made available again and I now have the chance to experience them first hand.

With all that in mind, here’s my first build for the backyard:  The Clod Buster.  

All build pictures here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/30965250@N05/albums/72157698365561570

I started with a Super Clod Buster kit, but preferred the look of the original 58065.  Short of splashing out on a bowtie grill, I added white wheels…

32059969497_8edbcf5be0_b.jpg

MCI Racing stickers…

48695734906_381cf11007_b.jpg

Wired up some warm white LEDs…

48771347013_9c1b2165c6_b.jpg

And got a pretty decent result…

48801952637_bc25662b9b_b.jpg

Now that the red plastic parts are easier to get ahold of, it would be irresponsible of me not to…

49781211958_77bb1af4a8_b.jpg

49781752881_49c6b245e3_b.jpg

• Like 8

Following recommendations from others, I also prepared a lexan body for heavier running duties.  This consisted of the JConcepts 1982 GMC K2500 body, MCI Racing stickers, JConcepts Golden Year tires with Tribute wheels, and a Traxxas Bigfoot #1 roll bar.

49663142088_7520890715_b.jpg

49663677141_09bc13244e_b.jpg

• Like 8

Fantatstic Clod, so do you change the plastics when you change bodies?

Nice work with what is actually Tamiya's greatest RC vehicle to ever hit the dirt anytime anywhere!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Fantatstic Clod, so do you change the plastics when you change bodies?

Thanks!  Haha, I have once and don't plan to do it again.  The stock bumpers and shocks will be replaced soon, so there won't be much colored plastic left.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.  I'm realizing now that I probably should've posted this in Monster Trucks forum.  If anyone happens to see this and has the power, please feel free to move it over.

Added the Arch Fab and Machine (USA) servo mount bumpers, and made some new links.  Took a bit of fiddling to get the servo spaced correctly, but quite happy with the result.  And I'm so happy to have the servos on axle now, with the ability to turn the rear steering on and off.  What a difference!

50160756628_ed324dc7da_b.jpg

50160757943_7c1d73ff12_b.jpg

• Like 4

@schlabinski Nice clod! I also bought some Arch Fab servo mounts for my black edition - the quality looks excellent. I'm planning on using the stock steering links but I see you ungraded yours. Is there a problem with the stock links when used with the new servo mounts? Thanks.

17 hours ago, phantomRC said:

@schlabinski Nice clod! I also bought some Arch Fab servo mounts for my black edition - the quality looks excellent. I'm planning on using the stock steering links but I see you ungraded yours. Is there a problem with the stock links when used with the new servo mounts? Thanks.

Thank you!  I thought I saw someone mention that they picked up a set of the bumper mounts too, but couldn't remember who.  I look forward to seeing yours.  I'm not aware of any issues with the stock steering links.  I had planned on making my own all along and installed it all at the same time.  I found that the included tube spacers were too long and my Kimbrough #124 servo saver interfered with the bottom horizontal tube of the bumper.  For my application, a 11mm spacer was the appropriate length to avoid fouling the servo saver, and still kept the servo low enough that it doesn't bump into the bottom of the chassis either.

I got tired of switching back and forth between bodies, so I decided to build up another Clod specifically for the Ice Monster body.  I'll start a new thread on that one soon.

With the steering vastly improved, it was time to move on to the suspension.  I didn't care for how much the stock shocks rattle.  I tried a few things that helped a tad, but it wasn't enough.  I wanted oil filled shocks, but didn't want to stray too far from the late 80s era.  I dug through a couple of leftover TLT kits that were originally purchased for the axles (those kits are loaded with handy hardware) and decided to give the gold shocks a try since I like how they look on a Juggernaut.  I remember hearing that they leak terribly, so I tried to address that by upgrading the o-rings and adding a shim to compress them a little.  Here are some progress pictures...

Trimmed the other side of the piston for extra light damping...

50829901962_9f3b8eea07_b.jpg

Disassembly...

50829813416_d88a7b49b9_b.jpg

Upgrades...

50829814191_87ae07e9cb_b.jpg

Reassembly using one 0.3mm shim in each plus green slime...

50829068698_0d510a89e1_b.jpg

Equivalent length...

50829069728_05704fa61f_b.jpg

The result...

50870957013_73e633f987_b.jpg

In short, I'm very pleased.  There is some leaking, but only in some shocks more than others so perhaps additional shims are in order.  Stock spring rate feels good, and so does the damping with the modified pistons and Tamiya yellow shock oil.  I didn't use any bump stops and the steering servos do occasionally hit the underside of the chassis.  I'm temped to chop the little part of the chassis that hangs down to make it flush with the rest of the chassis rather than limit suspension travel.  Although I really miss the look of the stock red bumpers and shocks, I am much more happy with the driving pleasure brought by the steering and suspension upgrades.

• Like 3