Sign in to follow this  
dablk

Dablk Newbie Hello

Just a quick note to say Hello,

After 30 years of wanting/thinking I finally joined the club.

Couple of years back my Dad ask what I wanted for Xmas.  I sent him a link for an real Orange McLaren P1.  He laughed and surprised me with a Rystar RC Mac P1 he saw on a market stall and a rattle can of orange paint.  It got played with inside for a laugh for my 1 year old with but then sat for a few years.  Skip to 2020 - Lockdown.  I dug it out and tried it in our cul de sac.  It worked better than expected.  What I didn't expect was my now 4 year old enjoy chasing it.  Cogs started to turn and having not much else to do.  Realising the number of little forest dirt tracks in the area, which is a fair amount for an urban area. An itch finally had to be scratched.

First one had to be a buggy.  Something that worked on grass and tarmac.  Old head was saying Grasshopper, Frog, Hornet.  Then saw some Neo Fighters done as Frog's and thought that was ideal.  An eBay bundle trigger was pulled. and #1 Dablk's Neo Frog is now in the showroom.

Back Orders in for a Dark impact and an XV-01 Lancia.  Got bored waiting for those and picked up another Neo fighter to tarmac tyre and hop up.

Also fancy having a resto/mod project so keeping an eye on eBay..

The rabbit hole has been fallen down...

Chris

• Haha 1

Hello and welcome! It is so easy to trip and fall down that rabbit hole! Enjoy your journey and share it with us!

15 minutes ago, dablk said:

The rabbit hole has been fallen down...

Welcome to the club.

I fell down the rabbit hole years ago, and im still looking for the way out...:blink:

J

I’m the same. Bought hornet and built last weekend. Bought a bundled stadium thunder that arrived yesterday from eBay and looking at adding a couple more already!!

Thanks folks,

Likewise Seacow. I'm sure a truck will feature at some point.

They tick a lot of boxes for me.  Planning, Building, Modding, Hunting, Painting, Displaying, and actually using.  Plenty of learning to be had on here.

One thing that seemed to confuse me was have Tamiya scaled back on new Buggy's?  I opted for a Dark impact as a step up from the Neo fighter.  That would seem to be ancient.  There's the TT-02B's  which seems to be the entry 4wd.   I think there was something called a db-01 Durga?.  Which looks like it came and went.  Then everything else is retro re releases which are a mixture of entry and very big ticket. Or am I looking for a mid level buggy that never happens as entry/retro is where the sales are.   

6 hours ago, dablk said:

Thanks folks,

Likewise Seacow. I'm sure a truck will feature at some point.

They tick a lot of boxes for me.  Planning, Building, Modding, Hunting, Painting, Displaying, and actually using.  Plenty of learning to be had on here.

One thing that seemed to confuse me was have Tamiya scaled back on new Buggy's?  I opted for a Dark impact as a step up from the Neo fighter.  That would seem to be ancient.  There's the TT-02B's  which seems to be the entry 4wd.   I think there was something called a db-01 Durga?.  Which looks like it came and went.  Then everything else is retro re releases which are a mixture of entry and very big ticket. Or am I looking for a mid level buggy that never happens as entry/retro is where the sales are.   

Welcome.

You've identified many peoples biggest issue with Tamiya - a lack of mid range buggy. The DB01 and DN01 did fill this gap but have been discontinued, Tamiya shut down their offroad racing program and so the DT02/3 and TT02B are pretty much it. Some of the rerelease buggies are great performers though, like the Top Force, Super Astute and Egress.

Onroad is a different story though with the complete range of TT as entry level, F104, TA07, TB05 and now TC01 cars which make decent club racers, and then the TRF cars which compete with the best from any other brand. The only gap in the onroad lineup is 10th and 12th pancars.

Welcome Chris. This forum is full of helpful people with loads of creativity. By far the best resource on the net for Tamiya.

JG- Thanks for confirming I'm not going mad.

L - Thank you, yeah have already seen a few df-03 threads to give me ideas on where to go with the Dark Impact. 

On 5/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, dablk said:

After 30 years of wanting/thinking I finally joined the club.

Welcome dablk, better late than never :D