Sign in to follow this  
TITANIUM94010

XV01 is really loud

I just finished assembling my XV-01 Kit, and the pinion and spur contact seems to be making a lot of noise, louder than my other cars. Is it supposed to be this way?, this is my first Tamiya kit, so I'm not very familiar with their kits. All of my other cars are quieter than this (the electric ones at least). There seems to be a "sweet spot" at around mid throttle stock on 2s that it quiets down a bit. Is the sound normal, and if not how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Something is definitely wrong. I have 2 of them, and they are incredibly quiet. I am sure you've checked on these (but sometimes it helps to just work through the list):

-- spur/pinion mesh - with a slip of paper in between

-- belt tensioner - should not be all that tight (this took me some getting used to). Just a few mm below the top-most position.

-- screws that hold the spur onto the top shaft (these are pretty short, but if you accidentally grabbed the standard screws used almost everywhere else on the car, they'd potentially rub the gearbox)

-- beyond that, are both the pinion and spur spinning true (i.e. not wobbling when viewed edge-on)? 

All in all, when everything is sorted, it is whisper-quiet. 

Maybe someone that knows these kits better than myself can confirm but many Tamiya kits come with 0.6 module gearing (metric 48 pitch).  If you didn't use the stock pinion it may be possible you have a true 48 pitch pinion mated to a metric 48 spur.

• Like 2

Yes my kit was very quiet.

As far as I'm aware, never use a 48pitch pinion in place of a 0.6mm!

32dp in place of 0.8mm is ok ( on old pre avante kits) but not others......

I repositioned the pinion/spur contact a bit, seems to have made it a bit quieter. I've been running my brushless TRX6 most of the time for the past few weeks, and that thing does not make a sound at all, on high gear low speed, the only thing you hear is the servo. It seems to be normal now, but I still suspect somethings a bit off. 

I am using a 77t spur that came with the slipper clutch set, and everything else is stock. Barely any noise is made with the motor off.  

Also is the car pretty frictioned?, as in it dosen't really want to roll with no throttle, and just kinda stops. 

Ok, it's still pretty darn loud. When there is no pinion and spur contact, everything is silky smooth. Am I supposed to grease the pinion and spur gears?, or is the car just somewhat loud in general?

1 hour ago, TITANIUM94010 said:

I repositioned the pinion/spur contact a bit, seems to have made it a bit quieter. I've been running my brushless TRX6 most of the time for the past few weeks, and that thing does not make a sound at all, on high gear low speed, the only thing you hear is the servo. It seems to be normal now, but I still suspect somethings a bit off. 

I am using a 77t spur that came with the slipper clutch set, and everything else is stock. Barely any noise is made with the motor off.  

Also is the car pretty frictioned?, as in it dosen't really want to roll with no throttle, and just kinda stops. 

The stock pinion will not mate to the spur from the optional Slipper Clutch. Tamiya normally use metric gear pitches as stated above (and standard in this kit is metric) but the optional slipper is actually 48p, so you need a 48p pinion instead of the stock kit one

• Like 1