mongoose1983

RC project for 2020. Hornet-based Ford F-150 Sand Dragster

For years I've been curious about this. And to my surprise I haven't seen this done anywhere before, so I thought about sharing my experience with this kind of custom vehicle. I will use a new built 1984 original Hornet buggy chassis, and a 1986 Blackfoot Ford F-150. My goal (apart of making an unusual pickup truck) is not to modify the body, nor the chassis. I just don't have the heart to touch cars that are classics. Now had I have access to newer re-re stuff perhaps I would have gone to extremes, but not with vintage parts.

Here's a look at some real Sand Dragster that worked as inspiration for my build.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/c3/c6/ffc3c6536df5e4a405abb4b9196876a9.jpg

And this is my chassis. I built it from original parts as you can see. Oh and of course those are old-school CRP hopups.

The motor was donated by my good friend @Blissard Thank you Bert!

4cYBIcs.jpg

The wheels were taken from some European Graupner buggy, and the tires originally belong to a Lamborghini Cheetah (fronts) and Sand Scorcher (rears). They fit perfectly on these wheels, I don't like to stretch my tires.

3woHJ4U.jpg

By the way, the Sand Scorcher tires (rears) are the only thing re-re in this build (along with the windshield used in the Ford truck).

egXr1S1.jpg

The metal bit you see in the middle keeps the tip of the axle rotating in place, that means the axle swings alright side to side, making the stock side springs useless. The thing works great.

ktDQKi2.jpg

I love the chassis. Unfortunately (as opposite with the Ford body) I never had the chance to have a decent Hornet body for it. So I decided to take it out of the box for this project and try and relax a bit with this build.

Can you believe I got these vintage Hornet parts in a trade for two Mabuchi silvercans? :)

I'll show you the body and custom parts to mount the body over my Hornet chassis soon.

Y'all stay safe and have a good weekend! :)

• Like 15

A look at the custom parts and prototype bits to make this combination possible. Now they're not pretty, but this is just starting :)

This goes attached on the front of the chassis. You just screw it and it stays in place. I used pieces of an old Blackfoot body to make it. Oh, and that's friction welding, a trick I learnt thanks to out good friend @yogi-bear

The two small holes on top (middle picture) keep on top a couple of spacers and sort of a plastic "cup" to fit exactly the "nest" I've made for a blower on the Blackfoot body. It's going to go attached with a Velcro bit. Tomorrow after I sand it and paint it I'm going to show you more picture so you can understand a bit more the process. Not pretty, but firm and it works.

CyyGpqc.jpg

Rear bracket:

3kZesWP.jpg

Alright, by now you're probably wondering how the whole thing looks when together...

lbpQzV3.jpg

These pictures were taken before installing the rear bracket, so the body is just lying in place. BUT, that's exactly where the thing sits now with the thing on.

ymQB5Mv.jpg

I absolutely love the wheel-tire combination on this one.

You see my Gene driver there. Not sure he's going to stay behind the wheel yet. Also, the front part is going to be about 1,5mm higher than on this picture.

YoBfERp.jpg

And finally... who doesn't love a nice wide and thick rear-end? ;) :D 

UEeD7fF.jpg

Some more pictures soon.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This Blackfoot body originally belongs to my other project (See: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/91225-rc-project-for-2019-non-boxart-orig-blackfoot/) that has got to be discarded as I have no way to locate the missing parts of that chassis. Or at least not this year. ANYWAY, I still have lots to do on this one, first of all I've to borrow some steering bars from another of my buggies, and then do the body detail. I have many nice decals, but I don't think this particular vehicle needs much of that, does it.

DyNaoLg.jpg

I removed the aluminum bars. But that was for a while. I'm no fan of anodized stuff.

Kvdv3nj.jpg

ISO7ApY.jpg

Rear:

TnCqlH0.jpg

The front windshield is actually a re-re one. I happen to have a new original one, but that one is completely dark. The re-re one is much clearer and allows a look at the driver, which is nice when you're trying to go for scale looks, you know.

f0EOiis.jpg

eBb1HSD.jpg

byAy6Ou.jpg

I have a ton papers to grade tomorrow, but I hope to find a minute to work on this one a little more.

You all have a fantastic weekend :)

• Like 11

that F150 body sits on the hornet chassis pretty well. That rear sway bar setup looks good too, did you make that up or where it is from?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yogi-bear said:

that F150 body sits on the hornet chassis pretty well. That rear sway bar setup looks good too, did you make that up or where it is from?

Seeing this I believe the F-150 body sits better on this chassis than on both, the original SRB and the ORV (with such an ugly wide front axle).

The sway bar is an old-school hopup from CRP I believe. I also have the alu side bars, you can see them in the first post. Actually I copied it in the past in a much simpler way, but with the very same performance results. That thing was sold with the buggy I installed it in, years ago. I'll try to find some pictures later, it was surprisingly nice.

Here's a picture of the thing, from some sale online:

Vintage You G Sway Bar for Hornet Grasshopper Rockbuster Rare ...

And this is how it goes attached to the chassis. This is from @Pintopower's showroom: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=119558

Back to my project, I decided to reinstall the original Tamiya black sidebars. I think the truck looks better with them. More pictures later on this weekend. :)

Y'all stay safe! :y:

• Like 2

Great Job Erich, as thoughtful as ever mate, well done

• Like 1

That looks awesome Erich :)

I agree it doesn't need any decals. But I think you should paint the side body trim line (maybe silver per the 1:1).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, casethejoint said:

That looks awesome Erich :)

I agree it doesn't need any decals. But I think you should paint the side body trim line (maybe silver per the 1:1).

Thanks, Dean!

Well I still have lots to do, the tire lettering, all the lil body detail, rubbers, blower, the driver, rear "Ford" lettering, side blinkers, fog lights, and the list goes on and on. Also, a nice custom bit that's only in my head for now. Wait and see. Oh, and once it's all done I'm going to take a picture of this one beside the beloved Sand Rover, too! :D

• Like 1

I really really like that. It's got a great stance. I've got a Grasshopper here that I was going to make a sand buggy type thing out of. But seeing this might push me in another direction...

• Like 1

Your truck looks tough already.   Chrome rims are cool and look nicely realistic.  They are much like the ones in the photo of the original.

• Like 1

Job well done 👍,  I’ve built a sand scorcher body on a grasshopper 2 chassis and that looks good.  I’ve been wondering about the f150 body and you have proved it works very well indeed 👏

• Like 1

After a week grading papers, I finally had the chance to go back and do something with this one. Hopefully I'll be able to work on the body details tonight. In the meantime (and while lettering a ton of tires) I painted the driver. Not a perfect job, but nice enough to fit this here Sand Dragster Ford pickup.

seDQIvH.jpg

WXWlMNl.jpg

Y'all stay safe and have a beautiful Thursday! :)

• Like 4

On 5/9/2020 at 7:25 PM, Wheel_Nut said:

Your truck looks tough already.   Chrome rims are cool and look nicely realistic.  They are much like the ones in the photo of the original.

Thanks. I am actually loving these wheels. And to be honest I like these better than the front ones in the original 1:1 Ford truck. ;)

On 5/10/2020 at 3:47 AM, Toolmaker72 said:

Job well done 👍,  I’ve built a sand scorcher body on a grasshopper 2 chassis and that looks good.  I’ve been wondering about the f150 body and you have proved it works very well indeed 👏

If the wheelbase isn't longer than a stock Hornet then that's a pretty good idea. The Grasshopper 2 is even better than the original one!

Hopefully I'll comeback with a couple more pictures tomorrow. :y:

LOVE IT!  It really looks very scale.  Surprisingly, since the Hornet chassis isn't exactly true-to-life for a 1:1 chassis.  Nice work as always buddy!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, beefmuffin said:

LOVE IT!  It really looks very scale.  Surprisingly, since the Hornet chassis isn't exactly true-to-life for a 1:1 chassis.  Nice work as always buddy!

See I'm just trying to do a good job with this here nice NJ stuff, Ben haha  ;)

Haven't been able to work on the detail yet... June is double busy this year. But as in the old Eagles song... one of these nights...

On 5/9/2020 at 2:59 PM, mongoose1983 said:

And finally... who doesn't love a nice wide and thick rear-end? ;) :D

:lol:

I'm a bit late seeing this thread.

Going by your first post I was a bit unsure of your plans, using org parts...

Seeing your progress and results, this thing is fantastic!

¡Bien hecho!B)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

I'm a bit late seeing this thread.

Same here, but I absolutely LOVE it!  The stance is perfect, it looks just as it should.  Great that you can do all this with Tamiya parts too.

It reminds me (again) of my 4-linked Grasshopper project that I might pull out and rebuild if we don't get any racing this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome looking truck Erich! I can’t wait to see it running on the dunes. 

Note: writing this message from my phone. I hope it works. 

• Thanks 1

Looking good!!

Really need to finish the Orange Blossom Special 2, puller project!! 🙄😬

• Like 1

Thank you all guys, you're much too kind! :vale:

Well, I hate to come back here with excuses. I am facing a couple of challenges here. First of all time, as I have had to work a lot. June is always complex, too many paper work to do, and working with students remotely has really been demanding this year with the covid and all. Then, cold days have arrived and I can't stand much wintertime. We don't have heaters here, and my hands hurt. I'm hoping I can come across a lil inspiration and a couple of hours to grab the project again one of these nights.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:19 AM, Falcon#5 said:

¡Bien hecho! B)

8 hours ago, Blissard said:

Awesome looking truck Erich! I can’t wait to see it running on the dunes. 
Note: writing this message from my phone. I hope it works. 

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Looking good!!

Really need to finish the Orange Blossom Special 2, puller project!! 🙄😬

Yeah, Bert. It worked alright with the phone. Are you still stuck and not able to go back home?

Oh, the Orange Blossom Special 2... I know I'd be happy to see pictures of that one finished!

On 6/4/2020 at 4:59 AM, Mad Ax said:

It reminds me (again) of my 4-linked Grasshopper project that I might pull out and rebuild if we don't get any racing this year.

That was a pretty unique build. I'm sure the new TCers will be happy to see it :blob7:

You all stay safe and have a good Monday! :)

I want to resume the project so I can finally come with some pictures. :confzip:

• Like 3