Does anyone know anything about model boats? I half built one as a yoof about 30 years ago but it was never finished, never touched water and then got "lost" in a house move (folks binned it)

While browsing ebay during lockdown i found the exact same kit and to be honest the shoddy way that the parts were cut out im not 100% certain that it isnt my original one anyway.

Getting to the point; I want to run it as a direct drive to the propellor without the motor and gearbox arrangement shown in the instructions. Im using parts i already have wherever possible but will need to buy a propellor - 35mm is the size noted in the instructions and its a speedboat type boat about 600mm long.

I have three spare potential Tamiya motors I can fit. A standard 540 silver can, a Torque Tuned silver can and a Sport Tuned black can.

I have read online somone used a graupner speed 500 setup on a similar boat and wanted some feedback on what would be the best choice of the ones i have or closest equivilant to that.

When driving a propellor on a boat whats best? Torques or RPMs??? Or is there more too it? Will a motor with direct drive spin too fast without a gearbox? Ie churning up the water at 18000 rpm.

Thank you

Don't know much about boats. Got one that came in a job lot. Its only been on the water once. It does however have direct drive. It was fitted with a standard silver can motor. Fitted this one as it a Kyosho, like the boat. Not tried it with this motor. 

15890208294024544855325570709041.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I have spent many years being in to model boats, but of the scale kind. It really depends what kind of boat it is as to what motor it needs. Generally speaking buggy type motors are not used except in small fast speedboats driving a very small prop.

It depends mostly on the size and shape of the prop, the weight of the boat, the desired performance, whether or not it has water cooling etc.

I would need more info to advise.

• Like 1

Hello,

Its a graupner scimitar speed boat. Just under 2 feet long with a single v shaped hull and a 2 bladed 35mm prop recommended (which ive still got to buy)

I would think there's a fair chance any of your motors would be ok in that on 6-7.2v. If you're going for higher volts for more rpm then you may need water cooling. I would go with what you have and check how hot the motor gets after a few minutes.

• Like 1

No, just a standard 7.2v nimh with a hw1060 which is conveniently waterproof!

I would go for cooling. There are quite a few model boat companies such as Cornwall model boats, Model Dockyard etc. I have quite a few boats, mostly scale which are all direct drive( with a flexible coupling of some sort) most are speed 400 powered. I have a 1 metre mtb that runs twin Johnson 500’s but needs more power and lipos. One day. Most of the 540 powered boats seem to me geared so they can run bigger props. May I suggest model boats forum. A similar bunch to Tamiya clubbers but water based

• Thanks 1

Have bolted in the standard silver can for now. 

I need to order the prop, universal coupling and prop shaft next and have been on Cornwalls website so will get these later in the week although stock levels on a lot if websites are not good at the moment.

Is there a particular boat forum you could recommend? Ive had a read on the modelboat mayhem one but lots of what they talk about goes straight over my head. The world of boats seems to have a much steeper learning curve than cars.

Boats are much like rc cars in that there are different types to suit different people 🧐 first of all there are RTR,ARTR , kits and build from plans. Then there are generally 4 types of propulsion, wind,steam,ic and electric. Then it gets even more complicated 😜 types. There’s speed boats, tug boats, merchant ships, naval ships, fast launches etc etc etc. So the question is the same when asked what  kind of car Should I get? Really depends how and what you want to do with it. I’m a little out of touch with the boat scene but if you give me some idea of what you want I will try to point you in the right direction 🧭 

Try seeing if @supergreg is still a member. He has a Scimitar in his showroom.