Sign in to follow this  
nginsb

Egress 2013 Build

So I had planned to keep this one on ice for a while longer, waiting for a rainy day so to speak. But given the extended lockdown circumstances where I am, figured now's as good a time as any to get building. This will complete my trio of Tamiya re-re's that I'd always wanted to build - the Super Hotshot, Avante and now the Egress. What will come next...open to suggestions!

I'll post a couple of build pics for anyone interested, will take my time with this one, so progress may be a little slow.

DSC01380_1.jpg

DSC01381_1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I hugely enjoyed building mine, and now I can watch you building yours which is almost as good, and much cheaper, than me buying another one to build. I hope you have loads of fun with it. Following.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuijo said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I hugely enjoyed building mine, and now I can watch you building yours which is almost as good, and much cheaper, than me buying another one to build. I hope you have loads of fun with it. Following.

Haha, thanks - I hope I do it the justice it deserves. I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares with the build of the Avante, which I thought was an absolute masterpiece of engineering.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nginsb said:

….the Super Hotshot, Avante and now the Egress...

This 3 have been in my TowerHobbies wish list for years.  I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your build.  Are there any Hop Up parts in the plan?

15 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

This 3 have been in my TowerHobbies wish list for years.  I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your build.  Are there any Hop Up parts in the plan?

Going to be building it largely per original spec - I have the Yeah Racing aluminium front knuckle and rear hub sets which I will fit (used these on the Avante also). I may try to find a set of the blue rod ends which were used on the original (apparently the F parts from the Clodbuster will work). But for now, thats about it.

Some progress made, a few pics below. As mentioned, taking my time with this one, enjoying every step!

Step 7 and 8, building the differential gears, was quite new to me - I haven't build a proper ball diff in past models. I'm not all that certain how tight to make them, how smooth they should be (mine feel little "gritty"). Any tips on this step? 

DSC01437_1.jpg

DSC01440_1.jpg

DSC01443_1.jpg

DSC01455_1.jpg

• Like 4

Decided to rebuild the diffs - added a little more grease to get them running smoother and figured out what seems to be the right tension.

Now the quandary - whether to go with center lock or torque splitter. I've read a bunch of previous posts on this, weighing up the fors and againsts, kind of in two minds. I might experiment with the torque splitter setup just to experience the difference compared with my other vehicles eg the Avante (which is built to spec) but may switch to the center lock for easier (non track) handling down the line.

DSC01457_1.jpg

DSC01461_1.jpg

DSC01466_1.jpg

• Like 3

Little more progress today, decided to use the torque splitter, gearboxes now complete. Upper deck fitted and rear stabiliser installed. Its starting to take shape!

DSC01482_1.jpg

DSC01484_1.jpg

• Like 3

Building the rear arms, really impressed by how sturdy these feel. Fitted the rear hubs, I'm using the Yeah Racing aluminium hubs designed for the Avante but which seem to fit fine. Little bit of lateral play around the bearings but this seems to be absorbed by the diff sponges which put adequate pressure on the rear axles. Will have to see if this impacts the car in any way, can always switch to the kit included hubs if need be. Rear end, really coming together nicely.

DSC01489_1.jpg

DSC01508_1.jpg

DSC01503_1.jpg

• Like 4

Loving watching this, I just pulled a BZ out of my Fox, I know now what it’s going to go into

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, nginsb said:

Fitted the rear hubs, I'm using the Yeah Racing aluminium hubs designed for the Avante but which seem to fit fine. Little bit of lateral play around the bearings .....DSC01508_1.jpg

I had that on mine. And I ordered TWO sets. One for the Avante, and one for the Egress. I was wholly dissapointed in them. A bearing should fit snug in it housing, making only the bearings work against their relative races. IE not spin on the axle or the hub. 

Was supposed to return them to the ebay seller. Life kinda got in the way. Feels like a waste of money

• Thanks 1

Yep - the inner bearings fits quite snugly, but outer ones seems to be quite loose. I'll see how I go - quick to switch out, but you're probably right, not all that worth the added expense and hassle, the kit hubs are more than adequate.

I have the opposite on my Yeah racing front left hub on my Avante in that the outer bearing counter-bored hole is not completely alingned with the inner bearing hole meaning the axle binds when you try to rotate it. Fortunately it lives on a shelf so isnt an issue but would need to swap them for the tamiya original plastic one if I ran it.

My experience of Yeah Racing parts so far hasnt been brilliant - had some parts for my Xv01 where the holes werent tapped and had been drilled over sized and some wheel hexes where three in the pack were 6mm wide and one was 5mm. They have some quality control issues it seems so I avoid them now.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I have the opposite on my Yeah racing front left hub on my Avante in that the outer bearing counter-bored hole is not completely alingned with the inner bearing hole meaning the axle binds when you try to rotate it. Fortunately it lives on a shelf so isnt an issue but would need to swap them for the tamiya original plastic one if I ran it.

My experience of Yeah Racing parts so far hasnt been brilliant - had some parts for my Xv01 where the holes werent tapped and had been drilled over sized and some wheel hexes where three in the pack were 6mm wide and one was 5mm. They have some quality control issues it seems so I avoid them now.

My only other experience with them is a few scale accessories for my TRX4 Defender, so nothing specifically functional. But like you, this probably won't get much run time so its likely not a big issue.

Front axles and uprights assembled and fitted, together with the bumper and front damper stay. Still to fit the steering and then on to the dampers. This is really a marvel to see coming together, starting to look like an Egress!

DSC01605_1.jpg

DSC01606_1.jpg

• Like 4

Well, I've hit a snag! And looks like a real showstopper. Building the dampers, I noticed something odd with one of the front cylinders, the colour of one of them looked inconsistent. On closer inspection, it looks completely unmatched with any of the others, and on even closer inspection, is a completely different size! This is a real disappointment, as the kit was totally sealed (refer to top pic at the start of this thread). Not certain what to do from here, I purchased this kit a long time ago from RCMart and no way of getting a replacement now.

Anyone have any similar experience or comment? Pics below sort of show this as best as possible (poor lighting but should get the idea).

DSC01638_1.jpg

DSC01637_1.jpg

Ok, looks like I panicked a little, the size issue seems not an issue (screwing them in both to their max, the sizes look ok). So I guess I can live with two different colour front shocks. It thats all it is, I can keep calm and carry on. Still interested if anyone else has had this kind of inconsistency in their kits?

Wow that’s disappointing for sure, will have to pull my kit out and check now

• Thanks 1

Well, its come together very nicely, really pleased with the result - this is a real stunner of a vehicle and a pleasure to build. Still need to do the body, waiting on some good weather to do the spraying outdoors. Couple pics below of the (nearly) finished build, those viewers with eagle eyes will notice the colour difference in the two front damper cylinders. I'll live with it for now, and perhaps will replace them one day if I can even find a set somewhere...

DSC01654_1.thumb.jpg.17f2ba4672e556d15c353af66de3eaa3.jpgDSC01655_1.thumb.jpg.91ef1bf0a6506cb989eca12e918ab526.jpgDSC01648_1.thumb.jpg.b0d595d197c5efc43b028ed3516491cb.jpgDSC01646_1.thumb.jpg.9acded3b397b11b35821bd54e0028cd1.jpg

• Like 4

Thats annoying for sure. I would contact RCmart or your national  Tamiya distributor - might not get anywhere but no loss sending an email.

It looks like it hasnt had the hard anodised coating applied which was was an issue on the original HiCaps.

A bit of a delay getting to the body shell, but have finally trimmed and sanded - now ready for spray. Better weather here this week so will get a chance to complete the build.

I must say, I'm a little torn about spraying at all - its such a superb looking platform, almost a shame to cover it up! DSC01816_1.thumb.jpg.ffad743451c2511cade005704d39c401.jpgDSC01814_1.thumb.jpg.f83a30786068d16858da682a612c4ec5.jpg

• Like 1

Finally the build is complete! Looks fantastic, very happy with how it turned out. Decided to mask the windows before painting, just in case one day I want to put a driver figure in (probably won't ever get round to it, but all the same). Was a real pleasure to put this kit together, couldn't resist posting a pic side by side with the Avante - both absolutely stunning.

DSC01855_1.jpg

DSC01853_1.jpg

DSC01849_1.jpg

DSC01866_1.jpg

• Like 10

On 5/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, nginsb said:

Building the dampers, I noticed something odd with one of the front cylinders, the colour of one of them looked inconsistent. On closer inspection, it looks completely unmatched with any of the others, and on even closer inspection, is a completely different size!

Not sure if you sorted this or not, but if not, Tony has a pair of the cylinders and caps going for fair money. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293628323808

• Thanks 1