Sign in to follow this  

This has been sitting on a dusty shelf for quite some time. Recently decided to take her out and prep her for some running. :)

It's a TXT-2 with a few mods:
- custom axle link mounts to remove the large bumpers so the front and rear ends look less cluttered.
- custom carbon fibre behind-the-axle front steering mount also to tuck that servo away for a cleaner look
- beadlock delrin wheels with clod tires

It's powered by a 550 brushless system that gives it pretty good grunt. :)

I built this way before I started 3D printing... so I'm working on some 3D prints now to add a few more personal touches to this truck.

More pics as I work on it.

txt2-01.jpg

IMG_11052020_213229_(800_x_559_pixel).jpg

• Like 5

Looks good, the Agrios has to be one of my favorite runners.  I'm curious to see what your mods look like though. I also design, machine and print my own parts so it's refreshing to see a well done truck.

Will take more pics of some of the mods on the truck and post some of the new mods. :)

Any pics of your trucks? I'd also love ideas for new things to work on.

12 minutes ago, BloodClod said:

Will take more pics of some of the mods on the truck and post some of the new mods. :)

Any pics of your trucks? I'd also love ideas for new things to work on.

Mine is mostly stock except heavy duty steering rods and rear lockout. Cpe aluminum knuckles, castle 3800 kv,  mamba x esc, jconcepts renegade tires, proline ford raptor body & savox servo. I have heavy duty driveshafts that someone recommended and drilled out properly for me on facebook that i havent used yet until my tamiya ones go 

My truck is on my channel, I have xmaxx center driveshafts, 2 silver sport tunes and 3s on 860 esc. 

A year ago I had talks with MIP about custom length driveshaftsi have 2 sets, haven't installed them though as the Traxxas units are fairly bulletproof cheap and easy to make fit.

Curious how the Raptor body fits RB.

2 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

My truck is on my channel, I have xmaxx center driveshafts, 2 silver sport tunes and 3s on 860 esc. 

A year ago I had talks with MIP about custom length driveshaftsi have 2 sets, haven't installed them though as the Traxxas units are fairly bulletproof cheap and easy to make fit.

Curious how the Raptor body fits RB.

Here you go

DF4C6FC3-A579-4ADE-8C2E-3ABEA5586E68.jpeg

Here's a picture of the BTA axle I designed. Nicely tucks the servo away right next to the driveshaft.

IMG_12052020_113129_(800_x_660_pixel).jpg

I made these lower link and upper shock mounts too to remove the stock bumper setup. I felt that the stock bumper worked nicely but it really made the axles look very bulky. Visually, removing them makes a big difference IMO.

IMG_12052020_113150_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

• Like 5

I like that a lot.  How well does the Savox servo hold up to abuse?  I considered using low-profile servos on the BTA steering mod I designed for my TXT build, as it would save a lot of space and allow me to fit a smaller bracket, but I was worried the servos wouldn't last.  I'm told that even high-torque low-profile servos are less tough than regular size servos.

So far the Savox has worked fine. :)

I intend to install a full size servo in the back for rear-steering - be interesting to compare the two after that.

Here's version 1 of the rear steering bracket I designed for the TXT-2.
I was curious if 3D printed parts would be up to the task of holding the steering servo - so it's designed with a bit of beef to be stronger. After printing, I'm pretty sure it's going to hold up just fine.

spacer.png

Test fitted on the rear axle. Unfortunately it is here that I realized the design needs to be tweaked. I had made it as compact as possible by sitting it close to the pumpkin... the servo fits fine but the servo saver doesn't. :(

spacer.png

So I had to move the servo a bit further out and also at the same time I figured I would raise the servo a bit to give more clearance between the servo saver and the bottom straight link. Version 2 on the way...

spacer.png

Here's the re-designed version 2 bolted up with all the links put on as well. It's perfect in terms of where everything is positioned. Rigidity is also very good with no flex at all so the servo can do its work effectively. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

spacer.png

Installed on the truck...Had an old roll of orange filament I dug out for this - it just so happens it will complement the orange body on the truck. At the same time, I designed and printed some rear brackets to hold the battery tray to the chassis. This allowed me to remove the huge bumpers... I just prefer the cleaner look overall. :)

spacer.png

Here's a picture of the underside of the servomount to show the bracing for additional support - it is after all a 3D printed part...

spacer.png

• Like 2

Tried to learn how to model a simple roll cage in 3D and then experimented by printing it out in 1 print as opposed to multiple parts. 7 hours later... version 1!

IMG_14052020_103348_(800_x_450_pixel).jpg

Here's how it turned out after removing the supports. Isn't pretty but to be honest it turned out better than I expected. lol.

Unfortunately, after a quick test fit I could tell it needed some tweaks. Back to the software and back to the printer!

IMG_14052020_103401_(450_x_800_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

Printed version 2 in white and gave it a quick spray of Tamiya silver paint.

spacer.png

Installed onto the chassis and this one fits the shell much better. Here's a side view.

spacer.png

And here's a picture of the rollcage from the front of the truck. 

spacer.png

On hindsight it seems a lot of effort just to get a few tubes to show through the windows. lol!
I remember when I was a kid I read a tip about gluing straws on the inside of the shell to achieve the same effect. :)
This mod certainly adds no performance advantage to the truck but it was fun learning the steps to design this and it's always nice to add something unique to your own truck I suppose.

• Like 3

Just gonna slowly update this thread with my truck progress...

One thing that kinda bothered me aesthetically was how the back of the original TXT-2 shell seem to end abruptly. The fake roll-cage molded into the shell just sorta like got cut-off.
So I was wondering if anything could be done about it... here's the result.

spacer.png

I googled some pictures of Bigfoot #18 and tried to do something that may have some resemblance to the original cage. So I have a rear bumper that continues where the shell left off.
I think the result is not too bad. At least when I look at the truck driving away from me I won't have to see that glaring "cut-off" rear "cage". :)

spacer.png

Here's a picture of the bumper installed on the chassis itself. :)

spacer.png

While I was at it, I decided to design something similar for the front as well. On Bigfoot #18 there is a little part of the tube frame that sticks out just under the front of the body so I did the same.

spacer.png

Side view of the truck with all the little bits and bobbed I recently added to it. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

A little work in progress... though I'm not sure this'll go into the TXT-2 when it's completed.

I didn't design this model... but it did take some figuring out to print and fit it all together. Honestly, I didn't know how this would turn out... but looks pretty decent so far...

spacer.png