Finnsllc

How does the EGRESS handle?

Ive been looking into an EGRESS, i was wondering about a comparison between older kits like SUPERSHOT. I have a few more modern buggies, neofighter, topforce so on. just wondering weather it is more old or more modern. thanks

I can't help with a comparison to a Supershot as I've never had one, but I do find my Egress 'twitchier' than my Top Force using the same tyres (Schumacher cactus) on grass. It's a lovely thing to own though!

Ive driven my egress on pavement, grass and off road but no real jumping. Its is very smooth but the stock shock oil is def to light. Ive yet to change it only cause i keep forgetting too. 

It drives ok. Im not really gelling with mine though, havent been able to get it set up nicely yet.

I prefer driving my terra scorcher.

Egress jumps better though, in fact, egress has the potential to do everything better, i just find the terra scorcher easier to get round a track. In fact, apart from my lunchbox, i find all my cars easier to get round a track than the egress 😂

Its a little twitchy and unpredictable. Sometimes it oversteers, sometimea oversteers, sometimes grip rolls.

If i can get it to do one of those 3 and stick to it id be happier.

I think i need less grippy front tyres to promote some understeer and stop it snatching.

It’s an interesting buggy to be looking at for a driver with their current ‘value’

Dont get me wrong, would love one myself but the last couple have been circa £500 for the kit on eBay as they’re sought after shelf queens.

Prob better off spending half that on a cat XLS if you’re concerned about handling maybe.

10 minutes ago, jameswrx said:

It’s an interesting buggy to be looking at for a driver with their current ‘value’

Dont get me wrong, would love one myself but the last couple have been circa £500 for the kit on eBay as they’re sought after shelf queens.

Prob better off spending half that on a cat XLS if you’re concerned about handling maybe.

Cat xls makes the egress feel like a drunk buffoon.

Ive driven both, back to back, on the same track. No contest.

I do feel a bit guilty driving my egress, but ill thrash it anyway. Always worried ill break it though where as my procat (basically an xls) feels indestructible.

Edit, old Schumacher 4wd's are a pain to work on though. Simplest of jobs tends to end in complete strip down and they are fiddly to then put back together. Make the egress seem like lego.

• Like 1

I would certainly want it to drive. I get shelf queen thing but its not exactly my stlye at least not at the EGRESS price. Is the car good enough to use as a driver or simply an overvalued kit?

14 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

I would certainly want it to drive. I get shelf queen thing but its not exactly my stlye at least not at the EGRESS price. Is the car good enough to use as a driver or simply an overvalued kit?

Oh, it's definately a driver! I have a 10.5t brushless in mine and im not afraid to thrash it on track, at home, over jumps etc.

I may be being a bit unfair on it, its a great car, just not as good as dedicated race cars at getting round a track. I have to 'drive' my egress, my procat just instinctively goes where i want it to.

12 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

Gent above is perfect to answer that (well, he has really). 

My point was they’re probably way over priced currently for the performance and the ‘value’ is only really worth it if for a must have ornament currently.

It’s not something I’d be looking at as a driver just based on the over inflated price given you could have a much better car for half the money.

I love the look of them and kick myself for not getting one when they were on eBay in the late £200’s only a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

The Egress is a tricky one. The Avante was a quirky runner and the Egress still has some of the those quirks, albeit muted. Avante's were "nervous" handlers with too much steering. They'd hook a nice hairpin but took concentration to keep in a straight line. Tamiya recognized this and lengthened the wheelbase and added narrower front tires to curb this in the Egress but the traits still linger there. Jamie Booth made some comments in an interview about the Egress. IIRC it felt nervous at first and then wound up lacking steering by mid corner. There's a lack of caster and to that end, I believe they heated up the front arms and tried bending them with screwdrivers to gain some at one race event. The amount of scrub radius doesn't help. Tamiya wound up making his car a development mule which would eventually use custom front and rear arms. This would eventually lead to the Top Force.

Despite their continuous improvement over the Avante, the front end still lacked travel for the bigger US tracks. The rear had plenty of travel but the trailing arm design could be tricky for some to set up IIRC. It was much like the 5 link Losi used on the first JRX2. That style of suspension went out of vogue. 

All that said, I love the Egress. Its an involved drive and takes some work to set up. Its not an easy, neutral car to drive like a Top Force, but it can be quick in the right hands. While also reportedly tricky to set-up, I have a feeling the CAT XLS would be more competitive. Everything I've read about them makes them sound sublime when dialed-in. A Turbo Optima Mid from that era would probably the happy medium. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Saito2 sounds good thamks. Think ill wait/skip this for now. spoiled by the newer buggies i have and my top force that is running like a beast

Get the Egress while you can. It's going away fast. I have a Rere Egress and my Top Force from my childhood . The Top Force is easier to set up and more forgiving, but the Egrss which does have a narrower sweet spot in regards to handling is more nimble and Jumps flatter.

Can’t get enough of the Egress - was a favorite of mine since 1989. Fortunate to own a a few rere as well as a vintage and a vintage Avante 2001 turned egress.  One thing I could never find were the posi joints front and rear. 

• Like 1

Guess the point is nostalgia verses modern day. I built a super shot with the gt motor and its like a slug. I certainly apprieciate the cool factor of the egress and it does look great but if its just gonna sit on the shelf then i dont want to throw money at it

Egress's are capable of taking huge amounts of power....

My re re started off with a 6.5 T brushless system, it's no slug.

I also fitted the 3rd ball diff out of my Avante 2001, it grips, it handles and it's smooth, it's heavy but it's also light years ago of a Super Shot.

When i first built my Egress it made about 5 of my runners redundant

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 5:34 AM, Snappy1 said:

Egress's are capable of taking huge amounts of power....

My re re started off with a 6.5 T brushless system, it's no slug.

I also fitted the 3rd ball diff out of my Avante 2001, it grips, it handles and it's smooth, it's heavy but it's also light years ago of a Super Shot.

When i first built my Egress it made about 5 of my runners redundant

What gearing did you use and if you don’t mind me asking were you using the stock ball diffs?

OK, yes stock ball diffs, gearing for the 6.5 T was 18 T pinion, stock spur

It now runs a 8.5 T , 21 T pinion stock spur, iirc I have regreased the ball diffs but other than a front shock tower and a couple of sets of tyres no dramas with years of running

57 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

OK, yes stock ball diffs, gearing for the 6.5 T was 18 T pinion, stock spur

It now runs a 8.5 T , 21 T pinion stock spur, iirc I have regreased the ball diffs but other than a front shock tower and a couple of sets of tyres no dramas with years of running

Cool, ta. Was thinking of putting something wild in mine but wondering if the transmission will hold up. 

I agree with Saito2 - the Egress is easy to over-steer.  However, your questions is how does it "handle" compared to an older design like the Supershot (Super Hotshot).  The hotshot family all have the same flaw in the design of their up-right/steering linkage, in that under compression of the suspension the Toe-in/toe-out geometry changes radically.  The newer designs like the Egress minimize this.  However, I find the Egress's steering geometry is "over-reactive."  Now that is mainly because I'm a brute on the controls.  I grew up with a Hotshot, and tend to hoarse the controls.  the Egress is too well defined for me.

Bottom line is "buggy handling" is a learned skill, with each chassis taking  into account its learning curve.

• Like 1

Not enough caster on the Egress which what TRF addresses with a totally new arm setup on Booths car.

Does the TRF/Booth Egress improve the scrub radius situation found on the stock Egress? Under acceleration and braking the Egress's sizable scrub radius probably affects toe and overall leverage on the steering system as a whole. The Avante's series doesn't exactly have the tightest, most slop-free steering system in the world either, even with the Egress's ball-raced system, which amplifies the issue. 

Just now, Avante2001R said:

Scrub radius is improved over the stock yes. 

That's good. I always had a hunch that made that stock chassis's steering issues worse.