Mrowka

What Tamiya/Kyosho basher?

Ok, I restored an OG Javelin, but it's probably too nice to be a basher. 

Looking for another Tamiya or Kyosho buggy that can be driven a bit more without worrying about parts availability. Probably a re-re. 

As I understand it, in general, Tamiya re-res have more parts commonality with the originals than do Kyosho.

Thought about another Javelin. Expensive, and for some $320 here in the states, you don't get a motor or ESC for that money. At least Javelins are somewhat available right now. Due to circumstances, I assume ordering from Asia means waiting forever.

On the other hand, a Frog costs $200, if you can find one. And it comes with a serviceable ESC and motor. The Javelin is probably a lot more car. At least it should be, for another $120.

BUT - if I buy a Frog, I figure I pretty much gotta buy a front shock kit and that means I gotta buy a set of decent front shocks. Maybe $50, assuming that I won't need rear shocks, too. Plus a ball diff, and that means at least another $60-70, once you throw in the gears that you need as part of the ball diff. At least the re-re Frog doesn't require dogbones.

Of course, the Javelin will also require two ball diffs, at around $60 each. They're not technically required, but I might as well install them while I'm building the thing. Yay. At least it comes with the parts for a belt drive. May want different shocks but the factory ones will serve and are easy to replace. This nickel and dime nonsense starts to add up.

Then I tell myself that the Frog would be a different driving experience, 2WD compared with 4WD, for one. That could be a good thing, depending.

I also thought about a Wild One. Cool car, but I can't find anyone that makes a ball diff kit for it.

The Grasshopper/Hornet? Drives lousy but cheap and tough as nails.

Kyosho Beetle? I'm a big fan of Beetles. Hard to find right now, though.

Hotshot/SuperShot/Whatnot? The SuperShot is supposed to be the much better driving car. Regardless, if I'm going down that road, I might as well spend a few dollars more and buy a re-re Javelin.

Associated/Losi/Yokomo? I don't know enough about them. Nobody had them when I was a kid, at least not anybody that I knew. Actually, I don't think I knew many people with Kyoshos, either.

Your in the US? May as well buy an old rc10! Cheap as chips for you guys and they drive great.

I wouldnt buy a frog unless you really want a frog. Id be buying a terra scorcher or a super astute.

Yes, I am in the US.

FWIW, the main reason for me to buy a Frog is because that was buggy I couldn't afford when I was a kid.

What can you tell me about RC 10 re-res?

The rere's are the same as originals, but value is high and new ones very hard to get.

If you want a runner, an old, used, scratched one of any origin is best. A couple of parts on older ones like to break, but in the US spares are easy to get. Running one of these in the UK is a pain.

If the frog has an emotional pull for you, then buy a frog! I like them.

• Like 1

Buy the car your LHS has the best parts selection for. Repairs will entail less down time and more driving fun. 

• Like 1

TT02b - loads of spares and hop ups and the chassis can take a beating and the motor is well protected as is the steering servo 

JJ

45 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Buy the car your LHS has the best parts selection for. Repairs will entail less down time and more driving fun. 

Usually, that's the advice I give others. Admittedly, I know zilch about buggies, but I know something about helicopters.

The problem is that I don't really have much of a LHS, unless you really like Traxxas RTRs. Pretty much zero for helicopters.

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

The rere's are the same as originals, but value is high and new ones very hard to get.

If you want a runner, an old, used, scratched one of any origin is best. A couple of parts on older ones like to break, but in the US spares are easy to get. Running one of these in the UK is a pain.

If the frog has an emotional pull for you, then buy a frog! I like them.

Sorry if I am being a pain or sound contradictory, but it's not like I have to have a Frog. 

I like Frogs, but I have lived most of my life so far without one and can probably manage to continue in this frogless condition. ;)

• Like 1

The Frog is not a great handling buggy out of the box. It hops around a good bit thanks to its stiff rear springs much like a Hornet. The motor sits up high too. Its right in between the SRBs and the RC10 eras. Its very light compared to the SRBs and, with modifications, can be made a respectable handler. I remember them being quite popular here in the US before the RC10 came out. Spares shouldn't be too much of an issue as they have been re-re'd for a long time plus share some parts with the Brat and even the Blackfoot etc.

The Wild One is heavy, but handles better out of the box. It has a low center of gravity and realistic looks

I like the Hot Shot series, particularly the Super (Hot) Shot. They are fairly rugged with decent spares support.

The Kyosho re-res are a cut above. They really went through and improved everything. Much more aluminum and/or fiber reinforced plastics. I can't speak as to spares availability as I have needed any.

The Scorpion I have has been great. It out-handles the Frog or Wild One and has a quiet, efficient drivetrain.

My Optima is awesome. I really love my Super Shot, but the Optima just outperforms it. It goes exactly where you want it to.

Used RC10s are tough as old boots and make great runners. I will caution that Associated's parent company, Thunder Tiger, has been dropping many of the spares that have been around for decades.

If you really want spares and durability, the Traxxas Bandit is hard to beat. It won't win any modern races nowadays but you can probably get spare parts at your local convenience store down the block by now.

If you really want a Frog,  just go for it. There's enough spares around and if you like to modify and improve things, there's plenty of opportunity for that.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, all things being equal, the Frog is neat, but I'd prefer another Javelin to a Frog.

I love the Frog, it was also out of my reach as a teenager.  But that car was so indestructable.   You could jump it and it would land and you would get that Frog like 'splat' sound!   LOL    The car was just so tough, and almost impossible to flip from what I remember.   It had a nice feel all around.   I love the body on it too.

I'm going to build a Frog in the near future.  If I were going to get one that's what I would get, and make some performance mods on the dog bones and gear box and call it a day.

• Like 1

Honestly I believe the Tamiya FOX is the best daily runner. The low slung center of gravity front and rear double wishbone suspension, you can even put stabilizer bars on the front to keep the monoshock from compromising handling since they rereleased it as the nova fox there are plenty of parts. If your interested i have a fox roller i am ready to depart with, i have many spare parts i can through in with it. Just needs electronics and rear wheels