MikeLouieTKD

Any recommendations for Thundershot?

Hello everyone,

I have been out of the Tamiya scene for a long time.

I am looking to upgrade the suspension arms and other parts with aluminum parts. I found some pristine A5s and I am using the A5 metal reinforcement tab to hold everything together.

I see this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Yeah-Racing-Essential-Conversion-TATT-S01BU/dp/B01AADT980/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=tamiya+neo+scorcher&qid=1589242988&sr=8-5

Looks like it fits the Neo Scorcher, which I thought the Terra Scorcher and Thundershot shared the same parts. But is the Neo Scorcher another line?

I found two parts car by chance (one on ebay the other from a friend I autocross with). I was able to make a 2nd Thundershot from the parts and restore my original Thundershot.

Any recommendations for radio gear, ESC and motor for this 2nd car? Might let my sons start playing with it until their cars arrive.

Thanks again!

Mike

5 hours ago, MikeLouieTKD said:

Hello everyone,

I have been out of the Tamiya scene for a long time.

I am looking to upgrade the suspension arms and other parts with aluminum parts. I found some pristine A5s and I am using the A5 metal reinforcement tab to hold everything together.

I see this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Yeah-Racing-Essential-Conversion-TATT-S01BU/dp/B01AADT980/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=tamiya+neo+scorcher&qid=1589242988&sr=8-5

Looks like it fits the Neo Scorcher, which I thought the Terra Scorcher and Thundershot shared the same parts. But is the Neo Scorcher another line?

I found two parts car by chance (one on ebay the other from a friend I autocross with). I was able to make a 2nd Thundershot from the parts and restore my original Thundershot.

Any recommendations for radio gear, ESC and motor for this 2nd car? Might let my sons start playing with it until their cars arrive.

Thanks again!

Mike

Hi there. You can't fit those parts to the Thundershot series. The Neo Scorcher is a modern buggy from the TT02B series and shares no parts with the Thundershot series. 

If you want reinforced arms there's a place on Shapeways which does HD 3D printed arms. Personally (owning a Thunder Dragon) i never found arm durability an issue. Bit flexy, yes, but never broke one. Aluminium arms are also not really a good idea in general as they transfer load to the mounting points and you are very likely to break bits of chassis tub or gearcase. If you really want stiffer arms it is possible to mount TRF arms to tje car. I did this. I needed to design some rear uprights to mske it work, but the front and rear TRF arms, and from caster blocks and knuckles went straight on. It's a bit involved but rear my build thread from here for the full story

For your other car, a Hobbywing 1060 ESC will be great, and just search ebay for "21t brushed motor" and some black and gold motors with various branding will pop up for under £10. They run great. Radio gear? I like Flysky. GT3C is great value, or GT5 if you can afford a bit more. They have 20 car model memory so you can just add a receiver (for under £10 each) for any additional cars. 

Thank you for getting back to me. And thanks for the help.

That was the other thing I was wondering. Because back in the day I had 3 remotes for 3 cars, and was wondering if I could (for instance) just buy one remote and 3 receivers and 3 servos. 

The GT3C cannot do multiple cars, but the GT5 can?

My GT5 have 20 model memory. It can only use the later A2 receivers, but in answer to your question, yes, one handset, multiple cars. FS A3 is the receiver you need to buy for your other cars. The GT5 comes with 1 receiver