phantomRC

Radio Shack Road Phantom: new shocks?

Hello Everyone! I've dug up my old Radio Shack Road Phantom (related to NIKKO Super Dictator, Iron Eagle) and ran it a few times until I snapped off the left front suspension. While I wait for replacement parts to arrive, I thought it would be a good idea to replace the old friction shocks with something better. But right off the bat I can see a problem - all the shocks are connected with a bolt at the top.

IMG_20200511_172641.thumb.jpg.99b9fe47cdeb333f1da98bc4c8c4d9e0.jpg

IMG_20200511_172653.thumb.jpg.da93342cecff17dfbc2d08f311106711.jpg

Does anyone know the trick to removing them so I can reuse? Thanks.

To be honest I have no idea how to remove the bolts without destroying them. But if you want to change to better shocks anyway and loose originality why don't you cut them and switch to screws?

I think that's what I'll do. And I'll pick out some 65 and 90 mm shocks that come with mounting screws. 

Heat up the bolts and pull them off, that's what I did with the one I modded. Now it's running brushless too!

I'll give that a go since I'd like to have the option of restoring it to original. How did you heat up yours?

If you take the shock tower off and remove the shock, you'll be able to push the pin backwards a little which will fully expose the collar/nut part. Then you can clamp the collar in a vice and knock the pin out.

I received some replacement suspension pieces from shapeways (for a Nikko Dictator) and installed them - almost perfect fit. Just had to sand down two bosses and drill out one hole slightly. IMG_20200519_123306_compress0.thumb.jpg.9c806b1eeeac0b1c49d9dbaf3272e78c.jpg

IMG_20200519_123300_compress17.thumb.jpg.db777a56bc423dff8875923d8b13dfe4.jpg

IMG_20200523_004618_compress69.thumb.jpg.ef876083fcf8b463734242ace0d810b5.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:48 PM, nowinaminute said:

If you take the shock tower off and remove the shock, you'll be able to push the pin backwards a little which will fully expose the collar/nut part. Then you can clamp the collar in a vice and knock the pin out.

Thanks for that. Still waiting for the new shocks to be delivered. 

I received the shocks but decided to keep the buggy stock and probably baby it from now on. I ran it with a lipo to test the new suspension components and it ran very well. However, the motors got pretty hot so I'm worried something electrical could fail eventually. I still remember when I first got it as a kid and how impressed I was and I still am!