Seacow

Road Car for the Garage/Shelf

I am still fairly new to this hobby but shelf is growing fast!  I did my first build a couple of weeks ago, Hornet and picked up a Stadium Thunder/Blitzer hybrid reasonably on eBay which is fun and have another new build off roader on the way.  I think i have my off road boxes covered although do fancy a Konghead and maybe a lunchbox.

So near home there are a few nicely tarmac’d car parks and I fancy a road car.  I like the idea of a Scooby or Lancia Delta - and seen a good deal on the NSU.  I know there are sport and drift versions and TT02 seems to be the chassis i will need with lots of choice for shells.  Being new will I notice any difference, should i go with something i like the look of, or anything i should look out for?  i dont really have any specific requirements just planning the next step!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice - and if there is a thread already apologies but couldn’t see one!

If you are ok with a wait the TC01 has been announced and showing end July delivery from Modelsport in the UK, same for RCMart in HK.  I think that could be a good road build and runner.  Said to be touring body shells planned also. 

TL01, TT01, TT02 and XV01 chassis all share a 257mm wheelbase and accept 190mm shells, so you don't even have to stick with Tamiya bodies.

As far as I can tell most bodies interchange (certainly between TT01 and 02) as the only thing you have to worry about is the mounting posts being in a unsuitable location to make a hole. The truck bodies might not work on a TL01 though..

you can use these pages to explore which chassis originally came with which bodies, also note the chassis variations.

TT01 https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/98-tt-01

TT02 https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/145-tt-02

XV01 https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/139-xv-01

If you just want a shelf car, you could just get a cheap TL01 off ebay and put a new shell on it. https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/65-tl-01

keep in mind you might want to change the wheels to suit too.

This is a neat shell and Blista did a great job on his, I still haven't finished stickering up mine!

• Thanks 1

You can go for any touring car as has been said. The base TT02 includes everything to run but it really needs bearings from the start, and you'll probably want to change the friction shocks for oil filled. Like you say, there are other variants.

Some are chassis kits only, so no electronics, body, tyres etc, and some are complete kits, so be careful about whats included. All of them need something added.

The drift kits that are complete (there is a TT02D and  Type D, get the TT02D) is a good place to start. It is a base TT02 with CVA shocks, bearings and a sport tuned. It has drift tyres (hard plastic things) so you need to buy rubber tyres for it, but then you have both. And you can use both, not like when you upgrade a base kit, the friction dampers get thrown away as they are worthless.The drift chassis kit has no body, but has some extras like reinforced plastic steering parts. It will cost heaps more by the time you add a body, tyres, electronics etc.

The TT02 Type S has different suspension, it uses that from the TRF418 and TA and TB cars. It is the best performing of them, but still doesn't have all the hopups you would want.

If you look at the top spec TT02 kits like the SR or RR you are so close to a TA07 Pro or TB05 Pro in price (in fact, at a shop near me the TB05 is cheaper!) you are probably better to buy one of those. They are mid level kits (essentially the plastic tub version of a TRF car) and can compete in club racing. In the right hands they can beat the best from Xray, Awesomatix etc. Both have loads of hopups available too, so don't worry, you can waste as much on a TA or TB as a TT. I really enjoyed buulding my TA07, it goes together so well compared to the entry level kits.

For running in a carpark you probably won't notice that much difference between them all though, so go with what fits your budget. Personally I would buy either a TT02D (kit with body one) or a TB05Pro/TA07Pro.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You can go for any touring car as has been said. The base TT02 includes everything to run but it really needs bearings from the start, and you'll probably want to change the friction shocks for oil filled. Like you say, there are other variants.

Some are chassis kits only, so no electronics, body, tyres etc, and some are complete kits, so be careful about whats included. All of them need something added.

The drift kits that are complete (there is a TT02D and  Type D, get the TT02D) is a good place to start. It is a base TT02 with CVA shocks, bearings and a sport tuned. It has drift tyres (hard plastic things) so you need to buy rubber tyres for it, but then you have both. And you can use both, not like when you upgrade a base kit, the friction dampers get thrown away as they are worthless.The drift chassis kit has no body, but has some extras like reinforced plastic steering parts. It will cost heaps more by the time you add a body, tyres, electronics etc.

The TT02 Type S has different suspension, it uses that from the TRF418 and TA and TB cars. It is the best performing of them, but still doesn't have all the hopups you would want.

If you look at the top spec TT02 kits like the SR or RR you are so close to a TA07 Pro or TB05 Pro in price (in fact, at a shop near me the TB05 is cheaper!) you are probably better to buy one of those. They are mid level kits (essentially the plastic tub version of a TRF car) and can compete in club racing. In the right hands they can beat the best from Xray, Awesomatix etc. Both have loads of hopups available too, so don't worry, you can waste as much on a TA or TB as a TT. I really enjoyed buulding my TA07, it goes together so well compared to the entry level kits.

For running in a carpark you probably won't notice that much difference between them all though, so go with what fits your budget. Personally I would buy either a TT02D (kit with body one) or a TB05Pro/TA07Pro.

Very true. Honestly I find the TT-02SR a rip and manipulated kit from Tamiya. Their shady scheme in fooling consumers making them believe that this is a top variant of the TT-02. But the fact is, important parts still remain crappy plastic or have been downgraded from the previous supposedly "inferior" variants from the SR. Then charge consumers at a premium price. What a shame.

• Like 1

I was wrong about the Type S using the arms from the 418, they're from the 416 so different to TA and TB arms. Probably still good though

NSU Prinz is a cool shell.  

It came with a M05 front wheel driven chassis, which was disappointing.  So I had to get a rear wheel driven chassis for the shell. (well, it was actually the other way around. I got the M06 chassis first, and then got Prinz TT to swap shells)  Cutting and applying stickers took all day though.  

Tamiya gives you black stickers for the open trunk. But I recommend masking the gap when you paint, so it would look open. 

F6qdX4R.jpg

Most of my stuff are off road backyard bashers.  But I found that I like touring cars too.  

I now have M05, M06 and M07.  Odd numbers are front wheel driven cars. Even numbers are rear wheel driven cars.  But M05 and M07 both have motors behind the front wheels.  XV01 has it in front of the front wheels.  That's what's unique about XV01.  I want Lancia Delta too, but not a TT chassis Delta. It must be XV01 Delta (that's just me).  

gD7vllg.jpg

There is nothing wrong with TT chassis, but they are older entry level chassis.  M06, M07 or M08 are newer mid level chassis. But not M05 that comes with NSU Prinz.  M05 is decent, but like TT chassis it uses simple screw pins for arms, etc.  

In your case, having had 2WDs, I understand the attraction of 4WDs.  But if you are not particular about drifting, I just wanted to say that M-series is yet another option.  After getting your feet wet with M-chassis, you can move onto 4WD TB05Pro/TA07Pro.  I might end up getting one of those 4WD chassis someday. (but not before XV01!)  

6jzu0Fd.jpg

IJKTz3X.jpg

fwqzMGB.jpg

• Like 2

The M-chassis are pretty good, and there is a reasonable range of bodies to choose from. I built an M07 as my first lockdown car; it's a real step up engineering-wise from the TT02B I built in December 2019. The tolerances are much tighter and the whole thing feels much more solid than the TT02. It's also great fun to drive!

• Like 2

Guys - can’t thank you enough for detailed responses!  I’m not sure it makes it any easier but certainly plenty to consider!!  In all honesty I dont really have any requirements more the desire for a build and play!!  Love the NSU but feels the chassis may let it down.  I am leaning to looking for a TT02D or certainly a TT02 and some hop ups - kicking myself for not picking up the chassis only that was for sale on here a couple of weeks ago.  Will do some more reading and looking at offers - which is half the fun anyway!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Seacow said:

Guys - can’t thank you enough for detailed responses!  I’m not sure it makes it any easier but certainly plenty to consider!!  In all honesty I dont really have any requirements more the desire for a build and play!!  Love the NSU but feels the chassis may let it down.  I am leaning to looking for a TT02D or certainly a TT02 and some hop ups - kicking myself for not picking up the chassis only that was for sale on here a couple of weeks ago.  Will do some more reading and looking at offers - which is half the fun anyway!

Although not the correct drive layout for the NSU, the M-05 is still a nice chassis, needing only a few basic hop-ups to turn it into a very nice chassis. I have one with a 13.5t motor, ballraced alloy steering, oil shocks and an alloy motor mount, and while I can get better lap times with my M-07 if I concentrate, the M-05 is a lot more forgiving, demanding less effort to drive cleanly. Perhaps choose one supplied with an appropriate FWD body though.

A base-spec TT-02 gives plenty of scope for hop-ups, although you might also consider the Type S which comes with a far superior suspension setup. I would avoid the SR as it is a lot to pay for what you get, as well as the R and RR since although supplied with some nice bling, they still have the standard suspension arrangement. A Type S with a few carefully selected hop-ups could out-perform a R or RR while costing similar or less, depending on where you get it.

You may also consider the older TB-03, still in stock in a few places, and still quite easy to find spares for. I haven't tried mine head-to-head with a similarly-specced TB-05 or TA-07 yet, but I know it has the potential to out-run a TB-04, as well as anything in the TA series from 6 downwards.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1