Sign in to follow this  
Scouser

Best rigid rear axle MKI or MKII

Hey all, hope everyone is keeping well.

Reason for this thread is that my local club is starting a vintage class of buggy racing apparently. As a fan of the Mad Bull and having a load of spare parts, my first thought was Fighter Buggy RX or Mad Fighter. With all this time to overthink, I have also been toying with the idea of a Hornet and some Ampro reinforcements. 

So the question for people with experience of both axle/ gearboxes is, which is stronger, the MKI on the Hornet or the MKII on the Mad Bull/Fighter Buggy/Rising Fighter?

I know these platforms are not ideal for racing but I am not considering anything else. I like a challenge!

Recently whilst in covid lockdown I had a wizz around the front concrete drive and front garden with a grasshopper 2 super g, a rising fighter fitted with oil dampers and my version of a slightly lowered and modified rear axle to stop it tramping and a fighter buggy rx.  The fighter buggy chassis was far better over the bumpy front garden and harder to flip over on the concrete.  

This is what I thought. I think the Fighter Buggy is the sensible option being that I have a load of spares already. I thought of the Hornet when watching some YouTube videos and hearing glowing praise of the rear axle and gearbox.