Sign in to follow this  
SuperChamp82

TT / TA Chassis Lego

Forgive me if this is an old chestnut but I’m a 70s / 80s vintage guy learning anew to have fun with ‘modern’ chassis ! 

How common are TT and TA cars in terms of swapping bits / hopping up ?

I’ve been through a few manuals and at first glance they pretty much look like Lego but am fairly certain there’s a lot more to it ... 😂

What you need to do is do what I do which is buy loads of parts for your project that have clearly got to fit (because they look like they all will perfectly) and then have a huge box of parts that dont fit on anything you want at all because they are not compatible.

And then just assemble the kit as its supposed to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think there are any between the TT02 and TA07 Pro. Not even screws as the TA07 uses hex heads. Maybe the screws that hold the spur on, they are JIS.

The TT02 Type S/SR share suspension though, they all use the TRF418 arms.

Oh turnbuckles and ball ends are bound to be the same!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The TT02 Type S/SR share suspension though, they all use the TRF418 arms.

TT02S uses TRF416 reversible arms

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Honza said:

TT02S uses TRF416 reversible arms

Shows what I know!  TA07 uses 418 arms doesn't it?  Are they interchangeable?  I have no idea.  TA07 can also take TRF420 arms, tempted by that conversion kit.  It may stop me buying another touring car just to build it...

If you really want almost Lego-esque cross-compatibility, take a look at the TL-01 and its relatives. There are commonalities between this and the GF-01 and G6-01, the M-03, 04, 05 and 06, the FF-02, the WR-01, WR-02 and WT-01, the MF-01X, as well as possibly others I haven't thought of. Want to make a Mini with 4-wheel steering? A front-wheel-drive buggy? A super-wide 6WD lorry? An M-size stadium truck? A stretched limo? All and more are possible without modding any parts, simply by swapping bits between members of this extended family of chassis.

• Like 3

TT-02S/SR

TA-05/06/07

TB-03/04/05 - TB EVO 4/5/6/7

TRF-415/16/17/18/19/20

FF-03/04

XV-01

Models listed above can interchange parts from lower suspension arms (front and rear), turnbuckles, dampers/shocks, suspension mounts, c-hubs, knuckles, rear uprights, universal/double cardan shafts, bumpers, bumper brace, and some also share steering sets, ball/gear diffs, pulleys. 

Bearings and servo mounts are mostly universal for many models.

• Like 3

The TA-07 shares a lot of the TRF419.  It is the consumer version of the TRF419.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Shows what I know!  TA07 uses 418 arms doesn't it?  Are they interchangeable?  I have no idea.  TA07 can also take TRF420 arms, tempted by that conversion kit.  It may stop me buying another touring car just to build it...

TRF416 have symmetrical design, in TRF418 uprights moved a bit. They're interchangeable on cars with TRF style suspension mounts, but TT02 have different geometry, so different arms would probably alter wheelbase.

Edit: I was wrong, even TRF420 arms fit TT02

https://www.thercracer.com/2020/03/ultimate-tamiyacup-tamiya-tt02-type-s.html?m=0

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If you really want almost Lego-esque cross-compatibility, take a look at the TL-01 and its relatives. There are commonalities between this and the GF-01 and G6-01, the M-03, 04, 05 and 06, the FF-02, the WR-01, WR-02 and WT-01, the MF-01X, as well as possibly others I haven't thought of. Want to make a Mini with 4-wheel steering? A front-wheel-drive buggy? A super-wide 6WD lorry? An M-size stadium truck? A stretched limo? All and more are possible without modding any parts, simply by swapping bits between members of this extended family of chassis.

This got me thinking! I didnt realise there was so much cross compatibility.

M sized stadium truck....

Sounds good!

How would that work, m06 with wider arms?

• Like 1

For my TL-01 and M03 I can swap parts when damaged. A few years back I was racing the M03 and damaged a steering knuckle. As I had my TL-01 in my pit bag I could use one of the knuckles from this chassis and continue racing after a few minutes. Another advantage is that these parts are identical left/right.

Last week I mounted GF01 suspension arm braces on my TL-01. Amazing that parts from a fairly new chassis are a direct fit on a 20+ year old chassis. And as these braces fit the TL-01 they also fit the M03 etc...… Magic!

TL brace.JPG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, graemevw said:

This got me thinking! I didnt realise there was so much cross compatibility.

M sized stadium truck....

Sounds good!

How would that work, m06 with wider arms?

Mine used an M-04 with TL-01B arms, but I see no reason why the same thing couldn't be done with the M-06. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Mine used an M-04 with TL-01B arms, but I see no reason why the same thing couldn't be done with the M-06. 

Do you have any pics, or a build thread?

A little m chassis stadium truck appeals since i discovered how much i like my stadium thunder.

2 hours ago, graemevw said:

Do you have any pics, or a build thread?

A little m chassis stadium truck appeals since i discovered how much i like my stadium thunder.

No build thread I'm afraid, but here are some pics.

Body on:

2020-05-13_03-21-55

Body off:

2020-05-13_03-20-36

With a WT-01 to give an idea of size:

2020-05-13_03-25-39

• Like 3

Thanks guys - really interesting !

Does anyone know if there’s commonality fitting TT (or other) bits to early TA chassis ? 

I’ve got TA02 and TT-02 manuals open in front of me and (aside from a few screws / fixings) the answer looks to be no 🙄

That is the case I'm afraid. The TT and TA chassis are from different families. Parts compatibility is limited to generic items shared by most touring cars such as pinions, screws, bearings, wheel hexes, drive pins, wheels, tyres, servo posts, ball links, etc. None of the main chassis or drivetrain components are shared.

The TA-02 shares numerous parts with the TA-01, DF-01 and FF-01 though, and the TT-02 has some limited compatibilities with the TT-01, DF-02 and TB-01.

• Like 3