Problemchild

Cheapo GPS speed tracker

Everyone seems to be running the skyRC one bit I’m only interested in how fast my brushless 3s set up runs at so don’t want to spend £60 

phone apps?

bike Speedo?

fitbit?

??

thanks 

JJ

• Like 2

DigiHUD on the cheapest prepaid phone out there.  At one point I grabbed a Samsung J3 Orbit for $30.

That’s what I was thinking - I have a really old Motorola and I tried a few apps but struggled finding one that captured top speed - I’ll have a look at that one 

thanks @speedy_w_beans

JJ

I'm using an old Garmin Forerunner 101 training "watch." If buying new the Garmin watches are above what you want to spend, but there is a pretty good used market out there.

Something to think about.  Most cheaper GPS receivers only sample at 1-hz, meaning they will only collect positional data every second.  Unless you hold your peak speed for over a second (probably 2 seconds) and get two data points at that speed, I believe it will calculate a speed less than your real peak.  I noticed even the SkyRC only has a 1hz sample rate.  There's 10hz and faster receivers, but they'll obviously be more expensive.