Sign in to follow this  
PaulRC10

Most rewarding Re-Re Kit build

I appreciate the title is very subjective, rewarding means different things to everyone.  I thought I'd ask about peoples most interesting/rewarding re-re kits as I have just gone for a re-re as I always felt I wouldn't find them that rewarding.  I have only ever been interested in restores, i've done about 12 so far.  The obvious benefits are the ability to run lipo/brushless (new plastics/nylon or metal gears) and the convenience of having everything in the box to finish the job.

However, for me the reward comes from the updates - such as the Avante Black Special with the race steering set and torque splitter.

Are there any other Tamiya ReRe's that have been modernised?  It's one reason I've been attracted to the Kyosho's, they update their kits throughout.  Tamiya seem (happy to be corrected) to keep to the original spec as much as possible.

What Tamiya ReRe kits are worth looking at for the updates/improvements on original?

For me it's anything with a hard plastic body that I spend a lot of time and effort on and get a good result. Add that to the improvements, and I'd go with the Fighting Buggy - much better finish on the metal parts, proper suspension travel limiters rather than cable ties, and a TRF rear shock.

The bruiser. Hands down one of my favorite kits and RC vehicles I've ever owned. Sadly I always spend so much time on them I shelf queen them and end up selling them for something I don't feel bad destroying. If I find another one for sale again I'll probably buy it, spend weeks and weeks building and finishing it, tell myself I'm driving it like I stole it, then setting it on my shelf until I sell it.

• Like 2

For me its the brat...sand scorcher...hornet..holiday buggy...sand rover..wild one..so far..I'm sure I'll add in the future

1 hour ago, XJman said:

The bruiser. Hands down one of my favorite kits and RC vehicles I've ever owned. Sadly I always spend so much time on them I shelf queen them and end up selling them for something I don't feel bad destroying. If I find another one for sale again I'll probably buy it, spend weeks and weeks building and finishing it, tell myself I'm driving it like I stole it, then setting it on my shelf until I sell it.

I'll echo that. I was blown away by how much better the design of the re-re was compared to the original. That transmission is a work-of-art. One of the most enjoyable builds I've experienced 👍

5 minutes ago, OCD said:

I'll echo that. I was blown away by how much better the design of the re-re was compared to the original. That transmission is a work-of-art. One of the most enjoyable builds I've experienced 👍

I've never found an original nib kit to build so I can't completely compare. Only that the newer one was a little different. I'll be honest, after seeing some of the rc4wd stuff it's hard to argue with how great the Tamiya kit is for the price.

Mmmm? I think for me it has to be the avante but so closely followed by the kyosho turbo optima in fact so close when I look at them both together I'm totally split 50/50! The SRB family of chassis has to be another very enjoyable build simply because its like building a real VW in miniature! 

7 minutes ago, XJman said:

I've never found an original nib kit to build so I can't completely compare. Only that the newer one was a little different

It's different and improved in almost every way. The entire drivetrain has been gone over, suspension and axles revised, and the body received a whole host of new detail. Made me realize how archaic the originals are comparatively.

10 minutes ago, XJman said:

I'll be honest, after seeing some of the rc4wd stuff it's hard to argue with how great the Tamiya kit is for the price.

I've had both and my hands and I can promise that Tamiya's fit and finish is far superior. Even the plastic molding puts RC4WD's to shame. No one makes detail as crisp as Tamiya does. No one. :wub:

• Like 1

Maybe once i get the ta05vdf built I'll get another one just to relive the glory of it sitting there. Do they still make the re-re of the bruiser?

11 hours ago, PaulRC10 said:

What Tamiya ReRe kits are worth looking at for the updates/improvements on original?

Zeroing in on the OP's closing question, I'd go with the Bruiser/Mountain Rider (Mountaineer). Not only was the transmission completely changed, but now you actually get to build it. Add to that the axles now have differentials the original lacked and you have a fair amount of updates/improvements.

The Avante's (while beautiful and an awesome build) major changes were the improved front uprights and the switch from FRP to Carbon Graphite for the chassis.

If you stretch the question, the Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover are probably the most "updated". Of course they now sit on a DT02 chassis which is light years ahead of the original with its exposed gears. I'm being a bit facetious here as I don't consider them to actually be exactly rereleases per se.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, XJman said:

Maybe once i get the ta05vdf built I'll get another one just to relive the glory of it sitting there. Do they still make the re-re of the bruiser?

Where are you based? I believe Tamiya USA are clearing out the Bruiser Kits now

For the love of God they need to fix the weaknesses of the Lunchbox - so much potential for a great kit.

2 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Where are you based? I believe Tamiya USA are clearing out the Bruiser Kits now

In the US. Their website has shown out of stock for some time now.

I looked up the Bruiser from all the sellers I know about and I only found one on RCMart.  At least I think it’s the right one.  The re-re was issued in 2012, right?  
None of the EU / UK stockists have them and they are not saying on back order either.  I think that means production has formally ceased? 
Also, RCMart has it on “sale” for $569 which is very expensive.  That would make it the most expensive Tamiya 4x4 kit I’ve seen.  Early build reports had it as sold for less than 200 bucks.  That’s some inflation. :wacko:

50 minutes ago, PaulRC10 said:

I looked up the Bruiser from all the sellers I know about and I only found one on RCMart.  At least I think it’s the right one.  The re-re was issued in 2012, right?  
None of the EU / UK stockists have them and they are not saying on back order either.  I think that means production has formally ceased?

Tamico has them, and for the time being there's no import charges from Germany.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=6471&lang=eng

The Mountain Rider too, which is a lot cheaper for some reason.

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-47394-Mountain-Rider-2014-Kit

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Tamico has them, and for the time being there's no import charges from Germany.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=6471&lang=eng

The Mountain Rider too, which is a lot cheaper for some reason.

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-47394-Mountain-Rider-2014-Kit

Thanks!

Super expensive though.  I can see why it would be a very nice build.  Oh man. :wacko:  one thing is for sure... there’s no hiding that from the missus if I pull the trigger.  :rolleyes:

Building a Mountain Rider I picked up from there at the moment. Never build a NIB original Bruiser or Hilux and have striped and rebuilt them and the new kit does feel better quality in addition to the updates mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

Anything that involves a driver figure! That’s the final piece and challenge of a build. Get the driver to as close to perfect in your eyes as possible. I’m still trying to do the eyes good, very hard!

26C5D721-3FD6-4ADA-B41A-2C304F4FD585.jpeg

• Like 1

Kyosho Optima re re - a million times better than the first 

Also way more creative in fixing 80s design issues than anything TamIya has done to date 

Antithesis is the Schumacher Cat XLS 🙄

All the same problems made worse by ignoring 40 years progress 

• Like 1