Hi All,

After a bit more experience I really want to monsterise the neo scorcher and improve ground clearance. Hence I now have some monster tyres

> Using the stock build, with an adjustable racing mount, I can use a 15t pinion on the stock Tamiya spur (70t) but I feel it might still out too much strain on the Tamiya torque 540 stock motor.

I feel there are some other options I can use:

1.  Get the high speed gear set where I believe I could use the 48dp gears and I understand from this post  that the 78t spur could fit?  Can anyone confirm?  And what Pinion should I use?

2.  Get a brushless motor.  Can anyone confirm if this will help better cope with the higher torque?  If so can anyone recommend a cheap one to start with?

Anything else?

Thanks in Advance!

Brushless motor will be more efficient regardless, a 13.5T is a bit of a sweet spot for a buggy with big wheels.

Be wary though, I fitted big wheels to a DF-02 which is basically the predecessor of the TT02B, the big wheels put extra strain on the uprights. I broke a front C-hub, replaced it, then on the next outing I broke a rear upright. They both broke where the top suspension link joined. 

I've since replaced both with alloy versions but I've also gone back to stock wheels and accepted that the platform is just a bit compromised, since it is based on a TT01 - naturally the TT02B is based on the road-going TT02. It's not a dedicated buggy - the DF03 is far more capable as a 4WD off-roader.

• Like 1

Thanks @ChrisRx718.  So a brushless 13.5t should be enough without any more gear changes but with a warning that it might put too much strain on other areas?

Yes, a 13.5T / 3000kv (often sensorless systems are not sold as "xxT" but rather KV) will be fine in a 4WD offroad buggy. Are you planning to run with the stock TBLE-02S Tamiya ESC? It may get a bit hot with the big wheels.

I'd keep the gearing stock for the time being (do you have a steel pinion?) and consider the steel ring-gear for the rear differential, maybe even the front one. The big wheels will put more strain on the drivetrain and these are known weak spots.

Your top speed will increase massively just by having the big wheels. Review your temps and consider gearing after upgrading the motor 

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.  I have the stock esc so will need to check temp.  I also do have a 15t steel pinion that I can use.

Thanks for advice on the steel ring gear

Would a higher turn [17.5, 21.5] brushless relax the strain on the esc? {My 6 year old son uses the car so increasing the speed is not essential]

I'm not an expert here but others will point out if I'm wrong I'm sure!

The Kv rating is the way to tell if a motor is going to be 'quicker' - a 17.5T Tamiya Brushless motor says it is 2,200Kv. Take the Kv rating and multiply it by the voltage to get the RPM: 7.2v x 2,200Kv = 15,840rpm

A stock 540 Mabuchi (silver can) is 15,080rpm @ 7.2v, so naturally this is going to be only a tiny bit faster. It will however be massively more efficient, resulting in much longer run-times.

The reason I recommend 13.5T / 3000Kv, other than the vast amounts available on the market, is that this 'sweet spot' is basically equivalent to a 19T brushed motor, but much more efficient. So a worth upgrade (faster than going 'Sport Tuned' which if we rewind 10 years, was the de-facto upgrade / starting point). 

The other thing to take advantage of is LiPo batteries, as these increase the base-line voltage (7.4v) and provide more 'punch' as well as being lighter. The only danger is you could burn your house down and lose all your possessions. So be careful, eh?! :lol:

There's a great table hosted here for Tamiya Motor statistics: Link

• Thanks 1

Again - think of it as a bike 

if it’s difficult to turn the wheels then go smaller on the front gear set (motor) and bigger on the rear (drive cog)

so just drop the size of the pinion 

IQrP9JQ.jpg

this was stock gearing and a brushless combo and some really cheap wheels off ebay

JJ

• Thanks 1

Thanks JJ.  I think previously you said you had a "£30 goolrc brushless combo "

Can you explain what kind of motor that was that you had?  Also would that work with the stock ESC {which as I understand can handle brushless)

Alun

ps I have bought the same wheels

12 hours ago, Reliver said:

Ta.  Will have a look.

But that was more than the whole ESC combo so just get the goolRC combo if you want a brushless and then you have your tamiya ESC spare :)

its about the gearing really :)

JJ

• Thanks 1

Seems like some good deals on the combo.  Just need to convince my other stakeholder to spend more money on a hobby for my son ;-)

Haha - I find it easier to justify it being for me and stop getting costas and beers 

She spends more on wine that I’d do on RC car parts haha

JJ

• Haha 1

Here's my monsterised Plasma Edge II TT02B. It runs great on a SKYRC Cheetah 13.5t brushless system with stock gearing, but it is clicking when I brake, so I've ordered the DF02 metal diffs to clear that up.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-17 at 17.19.56.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

@DeadMeat666

what wheels are those?

JJ

These are hobbypark monster truck wheels/tires from amazon. They weren't very expensive, but the rubber is nice and grippy, and they come with foam inserts. I'm pretty pleased with them:

https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-HobbyPark-Inserts-Volcano-Replacement/dp/B078S9KS9X/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=1%3A10+RC+Monster+wheels&qid=1589750410&sr=8-8

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Here's my monsterised Plasma Edge II TT02B. It runs great on a SKYRC Cheetah 13.5t brushless system with stock gearing, but it is clicking when I brake, so I've ordered the DF02 metal diffs to clear that up.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-17 at 17.19.56.jpeg

Very cool.

I tried the big wheels but I find the esc gets hot and I have the clicking!    Hence I think i need to upgrade motor/esc and diffs.  Can you link to what diffs you ordered?  Also is it the stock ESC?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Very cool.

I tried the big wheels but I find the esc gets hot and I have the clicking!    Hence I think i need to upgrade motor/esc and diffs.  Can you link to what diffs you ordered?  Also is it the stock ESC?

Thanks!

I ordered the GPM metal diff gear set which includes the ring and pinion gears, as well as the internal diff gears.

The ESC/motor are the SkyRC Cheetah combo set at 2590kv, and the motor pinion gearing is stock for the moment. I figured I'd use a lower kv than usual because the big wheels naturally increase the gear ratio quite a bit. It runs nice and fast, and still retains plenty of torque. The nice thing about the SkyRC set is that they include a programming card, so I have everything turned down atm to minimize the clicking, but once the metal diff gears are in, I can dial in some boost and kick up the braking power.

Hope that answered your questions!

• Thanks 1

That's brilliant.  Many thanks.  I am new/ returning to this and didn't know about programming cards for the ESC. Sounds like about at least £100 for all that if you get the gear set from front and back and the esc combo.