Sign in to follow this  
Clutch88

How to wet sand

Hello,

I am currently restoring a Sand Scorcher and could use some advice.

The radio box and gear covers  are very discoloured, I would like to clean them up a bit if possible.  After some advice on this forum, wet sanding was recommended to clear the plastic radio box. I have purchased a set of wet and dry sandpaper, which comes in grits of 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500.

Now, this might seem like an obvious question to many of you...but how do you actually wet sand? Should I start with the 1000 and work my way up? I was unsure if I would have to dry sand too? 

Would just be good to get some advice about the process, before I get going.

Thanks

I do it in the bath with the warm tap running and start with the coarser grits and work up to the finer ones holding the shell under the water to wash the dust and paint residue off and down the drain. No idea its right but works for me.

Keep in mind that, contrary to popular belief, wet sanding will take material faster than dry sanding, because the liquid cleans the sandpaper as you go.

Yeah or just use a bucket with water in and you just repeatedly dunk your paper into the bucket while rubbing the item. Do it outside not in your workshop. Start courser and go smoother!

bucket/tub of water or a running tap, either is fine, start gently with the coarser grades, you may not need to use all grades depending how deep the scratches are. by just using your hands you really wont be able to ruin it, so have a crack, and post up results.

One thing I would add is to cut your sand paper in circles so there are no edges that can grab and leave a scratch. 

C6B31747-1572-4A5E-9FE8-A82D03881E44_zps

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

bucket/tub of water or a running tap, either is fine, start gently with the coarser grades, you may not need to use all grades depending how deep the scratches are. by just using your hands you really wont be able to ruin it, so have a crack, and post up results.

Thanks for your advice everyone,

I am hoping to get started on it early next week. I shall post pics when I have sanded and rebuilt the chassis.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, Shodog said:

One thing I would add is to cut your sand paper in circles so there are no edges that can grab and leave a scratch. 

C6B31747-1572-4A5E-9FE8-A82D03881E44_zps

Shodogg is that a Porsche headlight? and are you getting rid of haze with wet sanding?

Yes it’s a headlight on my 996 Cabriolet. The headlights looked horrible.

before  

4E56CC96-B0D5-44CD-BAE6-233951B5B347_zps

I wet sanded with 600,1000,1200,1500,2000,2500 then used a liquid polish and my buffer it get it looking clear. 

A798F176-7CF4-4B26-9144-5B3B905486EB_zps

• Like 3