Busdriver

A Tank Newbie/Sheridan

When I was a kid(I'm now 62) somebody ( may have been a teacher) showed me how a tracked vehicle moved over its tracks rather than the tracks themselves moving. I have been and still am fascinated by this seemingly simple idea. I have been into RC in some form since the late 70's and have dabbled in cars, then planes, then cars, then boats and in the last year back to cars.I have been posting quite actively on this site and although I have never posted in this section I have often wandered in for a look. Today I ordered a Sheridan full option kit from Tamico. Frankly I dont even really know what I've bought. If it was a buggy or a car I would be looking at bearings, pinions, brushless motors etc etc but with this????? A newbies guide would be good. Perhaps I sould change my name to Tankdriver instead:)

• Like 4

Full option tanks generally come with everything you need apart from a battery, charger,  and radio gear. I fitted a bearing kit in the Jagdpanther I bought but to be honest the amount I've used it (Maybe 3 times in 8 years) it was a bit of a waste. Also if you're planning on going off roading and driving through mud or water, you're probably better off retaining the bushings anyway as they're less likely to rust or seize. If you haven't already got one, I'd look at a good quality airbrush to paint it with. The bodyshells on tanks are eye wateringly expensive to replace if you ruin them, so worth investing up front before impatience gets the better of you.

Some people get metal track kits, my experience of them is that they add a bit of weight to the model and make it more realistic ,but if you're giving it stick off road it tends to wear out the metal gears in the transmission, as they aren't made from steel.

There's a lot of aftermarket detail bits out there for the german tanks, not sure about the yanks, but tbh it's a question of how mad you want to go and how deep your pockets are. The Tamiya tanks I've built I thought looked fine 'out of the box' with the standard kit parts.  

I did this thread a while ago (Wow can't believe it's been 9 years):

Unfortunately most of the pic links are broken, but it will hopefully provide some insight.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Full option tanks generally come with everything you need apart from a battery, charger,  and radio gear. I fitted a bearing kit in the Jagdpanther I bought but to be honest the amount I've used it (Maybe 3 times in 8 years) it was a bit of a waste. Also if you're planning on going off roading and driving through mud or water, you're probably better off retaining the bushings anyway as they're less likely to rust or seize. If you haven't already got one, I'd look at a good quality airbrush to paint it with. The bodyshells on tanks are eye wateringly expensive to replace if you ruin them, so worth investing up front before impatience gets the better of you.

Some people get metal track kits, my experience of them is that they add a bit of weight to the model and make it more realistic ,but if you're giving it stick off road it tends to wear out the metal gears in the transmission, as they aren't made from steel.

There's a lot of aftermarket detail bits out there for the german tanks, not sure about the yanks, but tbh it's a question of how mad you want to go and how deep your pockets are. The Tamiya tanks I've built I thought looked fine 'out of the box' with the standard kit parts.  

I did this thread a while ago (Wow can't believe it's been 9 years):

Unfortunately most of the pic links are broken, but it will hopefully provide some insight.

Made a good read, many thanks. Pity about the pictures. I also looked at a Youtube build of the Sheridan and it looks a good one. I already have a 4/5 channel stick radio and batteries for cars so I should be about there. Is it worth getting a set of bearings. RC Bearings dont have a specific set for the Sheridan but if its similar to the Sherman its only £14.50 for a full set. Cant find the manual on line to count up bearings?

Sorry just re read your post you answered the question about bearings in it:rolleyes:

Edited by Busdriver

Had an email from Tamico yesterday to say it’s on the way!!!! I think I will definitely do a build thread for this. May also add things like the RPG guard and some baggage. Picked I nice easy colour though Olive drab!!!

• Like 1

IMG_2035.JPG.fcce481b474816cf30691c202d76c22b.JPG

This arrived today so officially this it to become a build thread. Having just browsed through the very extensive instructions and operating manual there could be a lot of questions over the next few months!!

• Like 5

Admin: Could this be moved to Builds section?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J@mes said:

Very cool! Congrats & on the 1000 post count too :D

I missed that I’ll have to have an extra drink tonight to celebrate 🎉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1