Wezzo

Midnight pumpkin upgrades

Hello everyone, I'm currently fixing up my midnight pumpkin. Could someone let me know where to get some tyres and oil filled shocks from also any extra parts I would need to attach them 

Many thanks wes

As far as I understand, (and I have a LunchBox, which is similar in every way to the Pumpkin) oil filled shocks will not improve the handling much, since a lot of the bounciness is coming from the tires. They will also add strain to the chassis, so it will require bracing to avoid flexing it/breaking it.

Also, these trucks were never made for serious handling, so even after fully upgrading it, it's not a good handler and never will be; it's meant to be a fun, wheely-prone basher.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, hope it helped.

I haven't yet run one with oil shocks, so can't say for sure.

What I can tell you is using the gearbox brace / clip to stop the axle sliding up and down is certainly worth it. I had this one from thingiverse printed https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2317376

I haven't experimented but I've read that putting foam in the tyres helps to stop it bouncing quite so much.

Look at the ampro engineering vids (lunchbox) on YouTube 

you can buy some good add ons 

however, part of the fun of this chassis is it’s bounce :)

JJ

I added oil shocks to mine and it made a noticeable improvement, especially at the front end. Never needed to strengthen anything. 

The tyres aren't the main cause of bouncing, especially at the back. If anything, they help make up for the fact that the rear suspension doesn't work at all when you are on the throttle. It's a design flaw/characteristic. You hit the throttle and the rear shocks get pulled open. A  gearbox brace will stop the annoying slapping but it won't make the shocks work. Even the Grasshopper does it and that doesn't even have gearbox pivots in stock form, just a glorified hinge. You can add foams to the tyres to make them less bouncy but honestly, when you're under power, the rear tyres are the only suspension there is!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, nowinaminute said:

I added oil shocks to mine and it made a noticeable improvement, especially at the front end. Never needed to strengthen anything. 

The tyres aren't the main cause of bouncing, especially at the back. If anything, they help make up for the fact that the rear suspension doesn't work at all when you are on the throttle. It's a design flaw/characteristic. You hit the throttle and the rear shocks get pulled open. A  gearbox brace will stop the annoying slapping but it won't make the shocks work. Even the Grasshopper does it and that doesn't even have gearbox pivots in stock form, just a glorified hinge. You can add foams to the tyres to make them less bouncy but honestly, when you're under power, the rear tyres are the only suspension there is!

Which oil shocks ? And how do you have them set up? 

On 10/28/2021 at 2:44 AM, Wezzo said:

Hello, what shocks did you use. Thanks for the info 

Wes

I just built a Black Edition and was thinking of doing the Tamiya Black CVA's on mine. Mine is mainly for show and light running in the basement.

I stuck some oil filled shocks on my rere pumpkin and the rear brace and it handles far better than my stock Lunchbox.

I used the ones from JK-RC and they are awesome. You can see them in the build video below.

• Like 1