Dakotamangus

Help sorting out a brushless build

Hi All, With the quarantine stretching on I got ambitious with upgrading my son’s Sand Viper. The kit comes with the brushless ready TBLE-02 S. Reading the forums here it sounded like pairing this with 2s lipo, a steel pinion and a 13.5T sensored brushless was a good route to some fun (thank you!).

I acquired a Muchmore Fleta ZX v2 13.5T

https://www.amainhobbies.com/muchmore-fleta-zx-v2-13.5t-er-spec-brushless-motor-mmrmr-v2zx135er/p693983

After soldering it all together the ECS starts up flashing red/green which indicates it thinks it’s in sensorless mode.

Ok here’s the trouble shooting I’ve tried:

1) Attach the old sport tuned brushed motor: works fine.

2) Attached an old sensorless brushless motor: esc starts up in low voltage warning mode

3) Removed the sensor harness and tried running the Muchmore motor: it gave a small shudder and was clearly getting power than stopped and gave the over load protection warning. (This May have been unwise but I was looking for options)

4) Attached an NiMH battery and tried steps 1-3 plus the original setup with the Muchmore, table-02 and the nimh: same results across the board. 

I attached a picture of the setup and am happy to take more. It could be my solders are bad (they sure are ugly) but they are very solid, I could lift the car with them. There’s no crossover or short on the solder. And step three above seems to indicate the motor is getting power. 

I’m happy to chase any ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance!

00E77258-8F5E-4A86-AE25-6357296100AF.jpeg

If the sport tuned motor works I'd be suspicious of the brushless motor itself, or the solder joints. 

Did you switch the motor mode from brushed to brushless when swapping the motors? The TBLE-02S doesn't have a sensorless mode either so not sure what you mean there.

My experience of the TBLE-02S is they're plug and play but the first one you set up is always a nightmare.

Also, nice motor, should make it fly.

Thanks 78Triumph. Close up of the solder joints. I can retry them.  I’m hoping for a simpler troubleshooting step :), but do I need a new soldering iron or at least a new tip. Keeping heat on these big joints was an issue. 

A9285560-95C6-4A56-A0D0-3294262DEE64.jpeg

This may be a shot in the dark, but are you sure you soldered the wires in the right order? (Blue/yellow/orange)

6 minutes ago, Dakotamangus said:

Thanks 78Triumph. Close up of the solder joints. I can retry them.  I’m hoping for a simpler troubleshooting step :), but do I need a new soldering iron or at least a new tip. Keeping heat on these big joints was an issue. 

A9285560-95C6-4A56-A0D0-3294262DEE64.jpeg

They're not the prettiest but they look functional enough. 

Hi Jonathan, That was it!  Thank you!

for future reference the photo shows the instructions to set up the esc in brushless mode

image.jpg

13 hours ago, Dakotamangus said:

I’m happy to chase any ideas or suggestions

Glad you've got it running!!

I would keep an eye on the tamiya plug, they are notorious for getting hot and melty ,if asked to do any work.

If you've got the soldering iron out again, is suggest putting a male Dean, or T Plug on the esc.  (Once he's got used to Lipo, nimh will seem a bit, weedy, anyway)