Sign in to follow this  
Mark_C

Pair of CW-01s for rebuild

Here I go again with some ebay fodder.. these were pretty cheap on ebay and an idle bid near the end saw them on their way to me..

gFQu6W2l.jpg

The pumpkin appears to be an original as it has the Ford script on the tail and the old style ends on the steering arms. It has CVA shocks.

Problems ? one rear shock mount is stripped, the glass has a crack in it and two body mounts are broken.

I thought the servo was broken because moving the wheels didn't drive its motor but upon looking closer the C clip for the servo saver is missing and one of the steering arms has a healthy bend in it.. I wonder if those two are related ?

Other than that, its pretty tidy. The paint isn't bad, but I want to go back to box art. You'll notice the bumpers have been painted and the spotlights are missing..

BTGH85al.jpg

IXt3bDsl.jpg

XPjzLjQl.jpg

NUYQiSal.jpg

the lunch box shell is unpainted but stickered, its actually in pretty good nick, with some road rash on one back corner. It has metal bearings but is missing the motor and motor mount. It had the 5th shock mod installed, but the shock is too long for its spring and the two arn't well matched at all. The worst damage was on one of the rear axle mounts, where the mount screws in to the tub the piece of plastic where the screw holes had snapped out, so whilst it looked ok the mount on that side wasn't really attached at all. The bit was still screwed in to the mount and fitted back in to the tub well, so I glued it in place and it seems fairly solid, we'll see how it goes. The tub its a bit rough though, someone made bigger holes in the rear, I assume to pass the motor wires through and it also has a hole in front of the servo. Nore minor issues ? the wheelie bar wheel consists of a couple of pieces of brass. Curiously the rear pair of body mounts also appear to be brass, they are good reproductions of the stock plastic part, I wonder if they are mass produced or someone made them on a small lathe..

C5qlQvCl.jpg

K40BmK5l.jpg

1tWukkzl.jpg

d3MN9txl.jpg

4fqmKS8l.jpg

Mf7QYFWl.jpg

Already arrived is a D parts sprue, frm this the lunch box gets the motor mount and a shock mount, the pumpkin gets a new rear shock mount. JK-RC is selling new tubs with front bumper for £5, so I ordered one, be silly not to at that price. have not decided if the lunch box will get this yet or if I'll just keep it in case the repair I did fails. Also, the 3x30mm screws & nuts for the motor mount.

uoaFNazl.jpg

I have ordered a glass set and chrome parts for the pumpkin and I also ordered a complete body set for my other lunchbox, so this one can have the body pegs.

When I did my other CW-01s a coule of years ago I used www.3dhubs.com to print a gearbox brace to prevent the axle moving and a strut brace for the front, this cost about £8 for two sets, here they are:

2OG35XOl.jpg

I found the stl models on thingiverse.

So, I returned to the site to find they've changed things - they no longer use an army of hobbyists to print stuff. When I made up an order not only were parts more expensive - at least three times the price they also slapped a £60 surcharge on the order!

After looking around, getting stuff printed is a bit of a struggle. I eventually found www.thirty6.co.uk who have a minimum order of £20. I've ordered x2 gearbox braces, x2 strut braces, 8 lunch box body pegs (spares) and two of each pumpkin body mount.

the D parts sprue above also has the wheelie bar wheel on it, but both cars need one, so I set to with sketchup to try and draw a new one, struggled with the curved wheel so asked a friend who does CAD for a living and he sent me a file in 2 minutes flat. After a quick adjustment (he got the measurement wrong and it was 10 times the size it should be!) a few of these were added to the printing order.

aFCT3tLl.png

If the item turns out okay, I'll put the stl on thingiverse.

I use flysky radios, so some receivers are on order

I still need to get a motor for the lunch box, one of my other cars has a HPI Firebolt 15T, they're cheap enough but don't know if I want to go that low, maybe something around a 20T would suffice?  Need a couple of ESCs too - I've used Hobbywing 1060s before which work fine, but the wires going to the motor are rather short and its a bit of a stretch in these chassis, so not sure what to go for..Don't really see the point in big power / brushless / lipo in these, they aren't exactly the pinnacle of handling s it is.

The pumpkin will go black, have chrome parts sprue on order. Not sure on the body, was thinking green from the alternative body work box art. Not owrried about that just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update time!

I did some shopping.. the lunch box needs a front shock bottom mount and a motor mount, the pumpkin needs a rear shock mount and both need a wheelie bar wheel. So I bought a D parts sprue. whilst doing so I noticed chassis are really cheap from JK-RC, so grabbed one in case the repair to the lunch box doesn't hold.

D parts only has half the motor mount and not wanting to buy the entire B sprue just for that part, I put a wanted ad out on TC, within a few minutes @Grumpy pants responded and very kindly offered the end cap of the mount from his spares pile - thanks Simon!

D parts, tub and motor mount screws.

uoaFNazl.jpg

Motor mount end cap from @Grumpy pants

KNJ3Bmil.jpg

Both cars need receiver, ESC and the lunch box needs a motor. I would use a Hobbywing 1060 or similar, but have previously found the motor wries a little short for the CW-01. I procastinated a bit, but ended up with TBLE02s and a torque tuned motor, again from JK-RC. I've recent seen people paying £5 more for these on ebay than JK sells them for..

f8SbQgjl.jpg

Receivers and bearings for the pumpkin (lunch box already has them).

FxIZzEml.jpg

Also on order are E and F parts for the Pumpkin which are the glass (original is cracked) and the chrome parts (bumpers are painted)

Let the stripdown commence!

Generally the pumpkin is in pretty good nick, the paint job isn't bad, but has some heavy areas and a few runs. The roll bar is brush painted.

rbOykaBl.jpg

This is an original version, so has FORD script on the tailgate. However, this has seen better days - its missing a tail light and on the inside one of the mounting points is missing. In both cases, the paint covers where the items should be, so must have been lost before the blue paintjob.

HlJPs6ml.jpg

M6BGFBrl.jpg

Painted parts

7kk2EOTl.jpg

When the cars arrived the wheels had been removed to fit them in the box, this is probably the worst one in terms of damage:.

7gzpxvyl.jpg

And a prettier one. One apir of rears had the tyres glued on. They were removed with a little help from very hot water and the rest of the tyres were also removed.

mZXMrk7l.jpg

First job was to pull the shocks off, I had bought some new shock oil to rebuild these, but found the oil is actually very clean, but the shocks do have some air in them:

VY7Qbnxl.jpg

Pair of washers for a wheelie wheel don't really cut the mustard..

AGr14rNl.jpg

A slightly grubby gearbox out! note: no metal shaft in the front mount. Just wasn't there.. at the top you can see the damaged shock mount that has a pulled thread.

2B3VBypl.jpg

Inside the gearbox was very clean. this is how the guts came out, not cleaned at all - no real presence of grease. The gear wheel looks suspicously new..

XoOwLqYl.jpg

And errm, seems i've lost some pictures. Basically its all quite tidy, nothing else broken and the plastics still have a little bit of shine to them.

However, what does need to change is the body colour. I had a can of De solvit graffiti remover (or "clean-up" and had done some reading that suggested it'd be ok on the body... nevertheless the front panel was used as a tester, the theory being it could be replaced easily if it all went bad.

It got a good dousing

37c9ggKl.jpg

After 10 minutes (as suggested on the can) a quick prod showed that something was going on (the scratches are in the goo of the clear/paint softening). The good news is there was no hint of the plastic going soft. I scrubbed with a toosthbrush and left it for a bit more and with still no evidence of damage to the plastic but the paint starting to be removed, I got stuck in to the body. Sprayed on and then brushed around with an old toothbrush.

GEXK9zd.jpg

Left for a good half hour and a scrub from a toothbrush given us this:

DXQMWP7l.jpg

Okay, so it will shift the paint! re-application of de solv-it, more scrubbing and a wash off in soapy water leaves us with this

gIuec9yl.jpg

Not bad ! I ned to get some more de solv-it, I'd prefer to buy in a bottle so I can apply via brush - I've seen it on here in a 1 litre bottle. Anyone know where to get it ? B&Q do the aerosol

The paint came off the roll bar easily, but moving the legs caused the plastic to break up and snap off:

79x2mbWl.jpg

So ith the body sat out to dry and all the plastic parts having been washed in soapy water, the screws and fittings stored in a margarine tub attention switched to the lunch box.

As I mentioned, the lunch box has metal bearings and someone tried to make it handle a bit better by shortening the front shocks:

eNJWn2il.jpg

An interesting one, two of the body mounts are made from brass. I think these are homemade and are well done, however they will not be staying!

wpt3XWvl.jpg

When someone added the 5th shock, they removed the axle spring. Note the muckiness

xvRlaAul.jpg

vlPpL77l.jpg

8rnhiV0l.jpg

"Well used" I think covers the chassis. Someone made a bigger hole for the motor wires, it also has a mystery hole at the front..

5SdN4Pil.jpg

hg9RYUnl.jpg

Gearbox is.. messy. The small 850 bush is present, rather than a bearing, all the 1150 sized ones are bearings though

IUvudPHl.jpg

QJy7Fi8l.jpg

jIcOaZxl.jpg

Again, all plastics were cleaned in soapy water, inspection found a big cracked in the screw thread in one casing:

wEXcYYPl.jpg

Shock bodies aren't too pretty

e6MlGAFl.jpg

So thats about as far as it goes for strip down.

I've ordered a B parts sprue to get gearbox casings, this also has the motor mount end cap on it I needed, which means the one @Grumpy pants sent me isn't needed.

All I can do is offer it to TC members in the hope it helps someone else out - if you need it PM me.

I've also ordered a new roll bar and an 850 bearing to complete the lunch box.

I'll need to strip the body some more and think about what I should do with the tailgate. I could buy a re-release sprue and cut the missing bits off that and glue them to the original tailgate. Maybe I should just leave it as a "war wound" ?

As the chrome parts for the pumpkin are already on order and will have new shock bodies on I'll use those on the lunch box.

Still waiting for the 3D printing to come in which will provide wheelie bar wheels, body mounts for both and rear axle braces.

• Like 1