Sign in to follow this  
Bwaaatch

Slammin'! Lowering my Comical buggy

Inspired by @HondaHan's recent post here, I am looking at ways to lower my Comical Grasshopper. I'm after some advice about how to do this best. I won't be widening teh stance, as I have that covered with me wheels. I just need to go low.

Pics show my current setup, which is base don the Yeah Racing WR02 hop-up arms and Shock Gear dampers (55mm version). The need to be lower comes partly from the huge silly tyres I'm using :-) Big wheels, slammed low is what I'm after! I figure If I drive on tarmac and with stiff shocks this should be OK.

On the front, I think I have the optimum choice of holes to lower the ride height, but correct me if I'm wrong.

On the rear, I have an issue. If I use what I think are the optimum holes  (inner most at top, outermost at bottom) the shocks rub against the suspension mount at the top. This seems to be due to the fact that the yeah racing rear shock mount is about 5mm thick, and thus changes the angle of the real shock so that that slope backwards by about 5 degrees, instead of being pretty much vertical (when viewed from the side). As a result, the top of the shock is just too close to the shock tower when using teh inner most hole. This feels like a design flaw, unless I'm missing something? Is it possible to get a longer screw-in ball joint at the BOTTOM of the shock to move the back end 5mm further back to match? What other options are there?

Second issue relates to the length of shock. I got the 55 mm version as they pretty much match the stock shocks, but I'm thinking perhaps the 55mm 'touring car' versions would be better? It is good practivce to lower a car by limiting the length of the shock? That feel like a hack to me, but perhaps it's normal? Could I go even shorter that 50mm shocks?

Thirdly is just 'what am I missing? If people want a super low stance, what are the other options, and what other considerations showed I be thinking of?

Thanks as ever. I'm always so impressed by the generosity of this community.

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg

• Like 3

Wind your shock collars back up to the top of the shocks.

53 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Wind your shock collars back up to the top of the shocks.

Thanks @Biz73, but I was thinking that if I went low I would need these collar low to keep the shocks stiff? So looking for other ways to lower. Bit willing to concede I might have this wrong!

The shock collars adjust your ride height. If you need stiffer shocks try changing to a stiffer spring/thicker oil.

I'm curious to see what ideas other members have for you. I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

Well, that worked, but it’s not as low or stiff as I would like. Progress though, and I feel like an idiot for not realising that collar adjustment was enough to change ride height.

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

The shock collars adjust your ride height. If you need stiffer shocks try changing to a stiffer spring/thicker oil.

I'm curious to see what ideas other members have for you. I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

Smaller wheels and or lower profile tyres will deduce ride height

Are those Yeah Racing Shock Gear dampers? If so are you using the stiffest springs and 1 hole pistons?

49 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Are those Yeah Racing Shock Gear dampers? If so are you using the stiffest springs and 1 hole pistons?

Yes, Shock Gear.

I realised after taking these shots that you I was on the soft springs, so I have now set these to the stiffest ones. But yes, I did manage to build them with the one-hole piston heads.

I'm starting to think I just need the set of shorter shocks.

I have these 60mm ones: http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/dsg0060bu-shockgear-60mm-damper-road-p-3469.html?cart_quantity=10

But they seem to come in 55mm: http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/yeah-racing-shockgear-55mm-damper-touring-gunmetal-dsg0055gm-p-3335.html?cart_quantity=10

or even 50mm: http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/yeah-racing-shockgear-50mm-damper-touring-gunmetal-dsg0050gm-p-3330.html?cart_quantity=10

Would 50mm be crazy? I'm tempted! Assume I'm making a stupid car that is a comical buggy for running on a track :-)

yeahracing-dsg-0050bu-001-800x800_0.jpg

Thanks @No Slack, but looking at the photos it seems my shocks have a taller cylinder, too. Shape of cylinder head and adjuster collar different, too.

I think maybe the design has changed over time, as their own website has some confusing listings.

yeahracing-dsg-shock-gear-series-included.jpg

yeahracing-dsg-0060-included.jpg

Ooohhh, just discovered these Yeah Racing QUTUS shocks: http://speedrc.co.uk/yeah-racing-qutus-adjustable-50mm-damper-set-for-1-10-rc-touring-m-chassis-car-black/

They are 50mm or 52mm (two shatters included), big bore and adjustable without taking apart. I see a few references to them on tamiya club, but not many. Anyone got experience of these? They are mainly a touring car thing, i think.

yr-DBB-2050bk-1__58197.1558592453.jpg

Those shocks look tiny! I've never even heard of them so I can't give any advice about them. Could you add shims under your piston to shorten the shocks you have? Keep an eye on your driveshaft angles as you lower the car. You don't want them to start binding from too steep of an angle. I've never had this chassis so I don't know if they could or not.

Also, the oil that comes with Yeah Racing dampers is pretty thin. The standard yellow oil that comes in Tamiya kits is thicker, and it's still considered soft. If you want really stiff dampers try some of Tamiyas hard oils.

4 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Those shocks look tiny!

Yeah alright, alright… but you're not considering the girth … :-)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bwaaatch said:

Yeah alright, alright… but you're not considering the girth … :-)

I'm pretty sure the girth is why they look so small :lol: Not much suspension travel with them, but since you are slamming the chassis that might not matter.

Progress …

Went with the QUTUS shocks, and went for the shortest pistons. Assembly was interesting (and tricky), but I have to say I couldn't quite figure out how the 'adjustable' system works.

At this extremely low height, the 18mm turnbuckles from the yeah-racing hop-up kit are barely long enough to stay attached – the ball cups are clinging on by a mm or two. Will get longer ones for proper running.

Cat is higher because of oversize wheels compared to the white comparison care (which is stock). I'm about 20mm between bottom of chassis and the road. I have the spring adjusters quite far down, so it full compresses the spring before it hits the full depth of the piston. As it stands, this stops the back wheels hitting the shell in the event of full compression.

More to do, but I like it!

IMG_2567.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks great! It’s funny because at the moment I’m looking to do the complete opposite to you, I’m thinking of super long arms and shock towers larger than YR hop ups and 70 / 80mm shocks. Ideally up on stilts with as much ground clearance as possible compromising stability a tiny amount.

Oh dear.... that’s a fun idea as well... is FOUR comical buggies in one house wrong? If I have four, then I’m thinking they should all be the same spec for fairer racing. So perhaps I needs six .... 

4 regular

1 low

1 high

.... and maybe one or two for the shelf???

good luck with your build @•Axle. Keep us posted. 
you’ll probably hit the same issue as me re: longer turnbuckles. I’m weighing up options, but they are crazy expensive for such a tiny bit of metal, esp with international postage on top.

anyone got a good supplier for shortish turnbuckles in the UK? I feel I need a few to try things out. 20, 22, 24, 26mm in length. You never know how far on the end caps will twist, right?

6 hours ago, •Axle said:

Looks great! It’s funny because at the moment I’m looking to do the complete opposite to you, I’m thinking of super long arms and shock towers larger than YR hop ups and 70 / 80mm shocks. Ideally up on stilts with as much ground clearance as possible compromising stability a tiny amount.

I dont usually like the comical tamiyas but that looks good. Good work 

The whole lot is expensive and they’ve got me wanting more! Tamiya reignited my interest with the WR-02 camper, I love box art and it was the first one I bought since a King Cab. Then they cleverly released the 4WD version and that was it I had to buy a few more kits, they’ve sat in boxes until now. I think I’m going to stick with the GF-01 chassis as I’ve got 3 kits with spares.