Sign in to follow this  
E28_M5

8.4v battery in Bigwig and other q’s

I’m finally getting around to building a Bigwig that’s been sitting quietly in my garage for a year. I’m sticking with the GT Tuned motor, and am wondering whether it’s worth getting an 8.4v battery pack. Almost seems a shame not to as there is the space originally designed for it. Would it gain noticeably in run time and/or speed? If so, I see that you can then choose 3300, 3800, 4400 or 5000 mAH... The alternative would be to stick with the 3300 7.2v batteries I already have. Tamiya now seem to recommend sticking with 7.2 for some reason.

Two other questions: Is it worth upgrading to a harder steel 15 tooth pinion straight away, and if so where from? And finally I understand there is an upgraded aluminium propshaft from another model that it is a straight swap for what looks like coat hanger wire in the Bigwig kit?!

Many thanks.

7 cell, 8.4v batteries were "the thing" when the Bigwig came out. The Turbo Optima also had 8.4v power in mind from that era. You'll pick up more speed with the higher voltage with the penalty of extra weight with the added cell. I enjoy running buggies closer to how they were back in the day, so my Bigwig runner will sport 8.4v power. With all the newer battery options out there it probably possible to get that power with less weight but I'm anarchistic. Your run time will be dictated by the mAH so the bigger the number, the longer the run time. Also, make sure your ESC is rated for 8.4v or more.

I upgrade all my pinions to steel Robinson Racing version from the very start. I figure its not worth even starting to spread worn aluminum particles through the gear train but that just my opinion. Other's may vary. If you get the cups/propshaft from the Hot Shot or Super Hot Shot rerelease, it is a straight swap. I haven't done this to my runner yet simply out of curiosity as I've never run a coat hanger propshaft in a Hot Shot series buggy yet.  

Thank you that’s really useful. I think I will go with the 8.4v battery. I’m likely to use a HW 1060 ESC I already have, but will check that is ok.

I’ve checked out Robinson Racing pinions - I’m assuming the 15 tooth 0150 32P is the correct one to go for? I’ll look at the Super Hotshot propshaft and cups as well.