Sign in to follow this  
ploots

Df02 brushless?

Hi all 

I'm after some advice I've a rising storm and im after a bit more speed, I gave it a strip down and clean up and regreese and it's running better than before, I currently have a sport tuned motor,also it's fully ballraced,I'm now thinking of going brushless and getting a combo deal,will I gain much speed I'm not using Lipo at the moment but it might be something in the future, thanks in advance for any answers....Jeff 

If you are going brushless, i would strongly suggest getting a 2s or even 3s LiPo you can get some crazy speed out of the 3s i have done is before on the DT02 chassis and its very fun.

It's on my list but I'm trying to do it discreetly so my wife won't see how much I'm spending 

• Haha 1

A brushless system will still work with Nimhs and give you a bump in speed.

That's what I'm hoping for, Lipo sounds good but also sounds complicated I wouldn't know where to start 

Someone here will post a link to the info about Lipo care. They do have many advantages over Nimhs. Do your motor swap then start researching Lipos. That way you get to experience the performance difference twice to really get an idea how much has changed over the years..

• Like 1

Great thanks for your replies I think I will change the motor then look into Lipo,my son has a tt01 and he's been thinking about Lipo aswell so it could be the way forward 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Do your motor swap then start researching Lipos. That way you get to experience the performance difference twice to really get an idea how much has changed over the years..

Wise advice.  

LiPos would need new connectors too. That's another hassle. It's worth it, but one thing at a time.  Brushless draws about 2 amp steady. 5-6 amp burst.  But NiMH can do 3-4 amp and Tamiya connectors allow about 2 amp draw.  Which means every time you accelerate (burst), your system is hitting the 2 amp ceiling.  The stronger the motor, the worse it would be because 5-6 amp burst is for relatively mild 13.5t motors.  If you want to fully use the brushless, a LiPo and a new connector would be necessary (eventually).  Most LiPos can easily supply 6 amp, and XT60 or Deans connectors can do 60 amp at least.  

• Like 1

Deans connectors are on the list of things to do first,I never realised tamiya connectors were so bad

• Like 1

Switching the connectors on your Nimhs will also help with just the brushless conversion. That Tamiya battery connector is bottle neck in your power delivery. I never tried it, but I heard that changing the connectors would even give you a boost just running Nimhs and brushed motors.

Can it really make that much difference, I think I will order the deans this evening 

If Nimhs can provide 3-4amps and Tamiya connectors can only handle 2 amps then it should make a difference. I need to finish switching my cars over to deans connectors so I can see how much of a difference it makes with brushless motors.

I went brushless 3250 trackstar with 120amp waterproof esc combo. wow, wat a difference. then grabed a 4000 2s 45c lipo and saw more power. its worth it and i  cant get a programming box as they have een out of stock for months. still awesome. motor esc combo was 66 USD