phantomRC

First Tamiya: Landfreeder Matte Black Special

Well I got nostalgic about RCing so I decided to get my first Tamiya kit. I chose the landfreeder matte black edition because it looked cool to me and the body already came painted. Build was a lot of fun and it's stock except for a bearing kit and a power hd lw-20mg servo.

So today I took it out for its first run! I was really surprised how fast it ran and how long. After 2 hours the 5Ah NiMH was still going strong. Here's a before and after:

IMG_20200518_112218_compress7.thumb.jpg.3f77385f0436049d30d6c9d24749b2cf.jpg

IMG_20200518_145509_compress41.thumb.jpg.c8a03b8f4cf23599f1d10cca234504e7.jpg

The only thing I wish it had was a back bumper to protect the body. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, phantomRC said:

Well I got nostalgic about RCing so I decided to get my first Tamiya kit. I chose the landfreeder matte black edition because it looked cool to me and the body already came painted. Build was a lot of fun and it's stock except for a bearing kit and a power hd lw-20mg servo.

So today I took it out for its first run! I was really surprised how fast it ran and how long. After 2 hours the 5Ah NiMH was still going strong. Here's a before and after:

IMG_20200518_112218_compress7.thumb.jpg.3f77385f0436049d30d6c9d24749b2cf.jpg

IMG_20200518_145509_compress41.thumb.jpg.c8a03b8f4cf23599f1d10cca234504e7.jpg

The only thing I wish it had was a back bumper to protect the body. 

Nice! Built a standard Landfreeder this week and took it out today. Really pleased with it. Great kit to build and real fun on gravel! Mine was caked in dust too! Haven’t got an ‘after’ shot!

51B19E18-2A56-4750-A318-248390358D19.jpeg

Looks good in red too! I like how the bed and grill stands out more in the standard edition. I'm thinking of getting some magnetic body mounts for a more scale look. 

• Like 1

Nice.  I love the LandFreeder and I like the matt black edition.  I was very tempted when they came along, although I already have two Landfreeders and various other CC01s.

Magnetic body mounts are very effective on the Landfreeder because of it's flat shape.

IIRC the LandFreeder body is a replica of a Ford Ranger but without any Ford branding on it.

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Nice.  I love the LandFreeder and I like the matt black edition.  I was very tempted when they came along, although I already have two Landfreeders and various other CC01s.

Magnetic body mounts are very effective on the Landfreeder because of it's flat shape.

IIRC the LandFreeder body is a replica of a Ford Ranger but without any Ford branding on it.

It’s also the shell from Bush Devil II. 

Looks great. The Landfreeder is one of the very nice new Tamiyas out there.

Yes, I think it's a good general purpose truck too. I tried it with a 2s lipo and it's even more fun. Unfortunately, on my last run I lost two of the wheel trim pieces.