Sign in to follow this  
Apollo11

Super Hot Shot Faster in Reverse

I've just completed my build of a super hot shot and took it out for a run at the weekend. My first impressions? Well I was distinctly underwhelmed by its speed and started to consider upgrades. But then I realised that it goes significantly faster in reverse than it does forwards. I doubt very much that the motor is retarded rather than tuned, so can only imagine that the most likely explanation is that I haven't set it up right. It's a standard setup from the kit, so consists of:

GT Sport 25T motor

TBLE-02S ESC

Absima CR2SV2 transmitter/receiver

I have consulted manuals for the esc and the transmitter, but they have been less than informative. The other explanation is that there is something horribly wrong with the build of the gearboxes and transmission. So to eliminate that possibility, I switched the wiring of the motor around and tested it again. It did the same thing, but obviously in reverse. 

What do I need to do please?

Indeed - two things are wrong here. Both the throttle channel and the motor wiring are the wrong way round. Swap the direction of the throttle channel on your transmitter, and also swap the positive and negative connections between your ESC and motor. That will sort it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The good news is that you can ignore everything in my original post. The esc manual that I had followed was one posted on the web and was in German, so a tad difficult to follow. Fortunately I came across my original one and so was properly able to rtfm. I've gone through the High Point Setup process as described. I've not put it back together yet, but as far as I can tell from running with the wheels off the table, it seems to been running on full tap.

I spoke too soon. I took it for another run this afternoon and although faster, I still faced disappointment. So what I did was reverse the way the motor is wired, so it is now: yellow - yellow and blue - green. I then flicked the switch on the transmitter to reverse throttle operation. Just as TurnipJF suggested. this was much better. It was much more fun and I was able to do wheelies, something it wouldn't do before. This lead me to think that I had somehow connected the esc to the receiver in reverse. So this evening I opened up the chassis again. Only I could not have done as the tab on the esc keys into a notch on the receiver. Although I have a work around, I am perplexed as to how this could have happened?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Apollo11 said:

I spoke too soon. I took it for another run this afternoon and although faster, I still faced disappointment. So what I did was reverse the way the motor is wired, so it is now: yellow - yellow and blue - green. I then flicked the switch on the transmitter to reverse throttle operation. Just as TurnipJF suggested. this was much better. It was much more fun and I was able to do wheelies, something it wouldn't do before. This lead me to think that I had somehow connected the esc to the receiver in reverse. So this evening I opened up the chassis again. Only I could not have done as the tab on the esc keys into a notch on the receiver. Although I have a work around, I am perplexed as to how this could have happened?

I certainly wouldn't be trying to reverse the plug into the receiver (The black wire should always be to the outside of the rx case). It seems you have now got it right, why do you want to change it? Its not unusual to have to reverse a channel on a transmitter (its why the function is there). Yellow - Yellow and Blue - Green is correct and reversing the channel can be completely normal.

2 hours ago, Apollo11 said:

The three wires running between the receiver and ESC carry positive, negative and signal, so it wouldn't have worked at all had you plugged it in wrong.

There is no universal standard amongst radio and ESC manufacturers as to what signal is associated with forwards as opposed to reverse, so many radios will need the throttle channel set to reverse for the ESC to operate normally. It is not a mistake or error, and has no bearing on the function of your car. It simply indicates that the radio and ESC manufacturers had different opinions as to which direction should be associated with which signal change. Now that you have reversed the throttle channel and effectively made your radio agree with your ESC on the direction debate, the issue is solved.

In short, don't worry, it is completely normal.

• Like 2

That’s why I’ve started buying kits with no ESC and a goolRC combo 

gives me no set up probs and it’s fast “out of the box” and upgradeable 

my only issue is I have a big pile of silver cans haha

JJ

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:53 AM, Problemchild said:

JJ

Yes, I see the point now. No point in buying kits with an ESC that is quickly going to go in the bin. Pity they don't do the same with cans or bearings.

JJ

Weren't you the one who was looking for Tamiya ESC on other thread? Not sure if I mistake you for other guy! :lol:

Got a link to said combo?

3 hours ago, barnettgs said:

Weren't you the one who was looking for Tamiya ESC on other thread? Not sure if I mistake you for other guy! :lol:

Yeah - for my shelf cars I’ll keep a tamiya ESC in it - but they aren’t for running ;)

for driving - brushless combo and no issues then ;)

JJ

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Yeah - for my shelf cars I’ll keep a tamiya ESC in it - but they aren’t for running ;)

for driving - brushless combo and no issues then ;)

JJ

Ah I see, I am running a couple of Tamiya ESC, thought they were fine.

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153695148305

if you want to run tamiya batteries you just need a £2 deans to tamiya adaptor 

or get the soldering iron and heat shrink out

JJ

That is pretty cheap, I presume it is faster than the stock motor/ESC using the same battery?

8 hours ago, Problemchild said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153695148305

if you want to run tamiya batteries you just need a £2 deans to tamiya adaptor 

or get the soldering iron and heat shrink out

JJ

Thanks for the link 👍🏻 I've already got a few of my batteries changed to deans. 

Tamiya TLBE-02s is a good ESC 

for simplicity, performance and cost - I find the GoolRC combo an awesome piece of kit

JJ