toyolien

MF-01X Beetle - Any Love?

On 5/19/2020 at 2:41 AM, J@mes said:

I built one & it was an ok build, making the body come alive with a cockpit added the interest for me. I ran it on gravel & it was a hoot. Tarmac not so much. Guess that figures with a rally car.

49841529783_f6f5a0a091_b.jpg

What did you use for the interior?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys. Very helpful. Seems there is some love for the MF01. I'm still deciding on my next build Rather than just picking something at random I'm trying to look at where i actually run and which car might be best suited. So, still not 100% decided on this one yet.

I am ready to start my build but am still waiting for the Yeah Racing suspension kit to arrive.  Also need to order the rally interior then source driver heads that have an open face helmet.

at this rate I might finish by thanksgiving 

I was looking at MF-01X chassis for rallying and trailing since it is quite cheap but then, there is TT-02 for similar money, which one would you go for?  Apart from body choice.

Also I was just wondering is there a Tamiya chassis such as 'rally' or trailing with front or rear wheel drive?

Added: Yep, just found a front wheel drive rally car - Tamiya Citroen 2CV Rally. Anything else?

17 hours ago, barnettgs said:

Also I was just wondering is there a Tamiya chassis such as 'rally' or trailing with front or rear wheel drive?

Added: Yep, just found a front wheel drive rally car - Tamiya Citroen 2CV Rally. Anything else?

A few more:

Renault Alpine RWD

Suzuki Swift FWD

Mini Cooper Monte Carlo FWD

Thanks, I did a search of MF-01X on this forum and I decided to go for this chassis due to higher ground clearance to where I would be running alongside Tamiya CC-01 Defender.

Now for me, it is a toss up between Beetle and Suzuki Jimny but I think I would probably go for Suzuki Jimny due to shorter wheelbase (medium) and its body sit further away from the ground especially on front and rear in comparsion with Beetle. 

I saw a couple of youtube videos running beetle body higher than you would normally run, probably for rougher terrain?

Trimmed a lot to fit all round. Holes for the body posts in the back too. It was worth it though.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:42 AM, toyolien said:

I quite fancy building an M-Chassis car, but then spotted the MF-01X Beetle. Quite like the idea of a 4wd mini. Any love for this chassis? Anything to look out for or upgrade/weaknesses? Or would I be better off with something like an M-07 or M-08 as a started. Thanks.

They're awesome. I love mine

I have got myself Suzuki Jimny MF-01X recently and currently building it on my spare time.

As always, I have ball bearings for it. The only other upgrade I have got is 3rd party aluminium dampers/springs set for M chassis but they feel quite stiff, I presume these are for on-road? I might swap these for stock springs.

I was looking at Tamiys super mini cva set or Tamiya Aluminium damper set, anyone have experience with them?

Tried a search function but doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

I use Super Mini CVAs on mine with the stock springs. They provide a nice supple ride and work well on trails when combined with soft Rally Blocks.

• Like 2

@barnettgs do you mean these?

D6B44DB5-7847-4E7F-B6C3-D5CBCAC7FFA8.jpg

I have just made them for my M05-RA, lovely to build and come with the long bottom eyes if you need them longer on the 01X. Don't know whether the (if any) performance gains are worth it over the Super Minis in a trail (rather than circuit racing) environment given the cost but I really enjoyed building them.

15 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

@barnettgs do you mean these?

D6B44DB5-7847-4E7F-B6C3-D5CBCAC7FFA8.jpg

I have just made them for my M05-RA, lovely to build and come with the long bottom eyes if you need them longer on the 01X. Don't know whether the (if any) performance gains are worth it over the Super Minis in a trail (rather than circuit racing) environment given the cost but I really enjoyed building them.

Yes, that's the one I'm looking at. I could get super mini CVAs but they only come in one pair so need to be bought two, which make it a bit expensive. I can get Aluminium ones for a bit more money, although they come without shock oil.

From what I have read, shocks length is the same as M chassis.

However, I already have 3rd party aluminium set, I guess I will try them out first, most likely with stock springs.

Crawler wheels/tyres could be used on MF-01X as well?

Here is a picture of mine attached:

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.3231dbe3d30ad52b8290e159118c5750.jpg

Edited by barnettgs
Added picture
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, barnettgs said:

Yes, that's the one I'm looking at. I could get super mini CVAs but they only come in one pair so need to be bought two, which make it a bit expensive. I can get Aluminium ones for a bit more money, although they come without shock oil.

From what I have read, shocks length is the same as M chassis.

However, I already have 3rd party aluminium set, I guess I will try them out first, most likely with stock springs.

Crawler wheels/tyres could be used on MF-01X as well?

Here is a picture of mine attached:

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.3231dbe3d30ad52b8290e159118c5750.jpg

Recently, I decided to return this set of shocks because one of them feels a bit rough. 

However, I found out that fiction shocks that came with the kits are actually around 53mm.

So I ordered 54753 (rather than 50746) because this set contains 4 shocks rather than a pair of 50746 making it far more expensive. The length of these shocks are 55mm but with internal spacers added, they became around 52mm.

This build is near completed but I noticed that front diff is very stiff, I had to hold the rear wheels firmly and rotate the front wheel in order for other wheel to turn the opposited way?

I guess I have to take it apart and check the front gear box...but let me ask you, is that normal for MF-01X?

Out of CC-01, CC-02 and this kit, MF-01X is most time consuming build I have ever done lol

34 minutes ago, barnettgs said:

This build is near completed but I noticed that front diff is very stiff, I had to hold the rear wheels firmly and rotate the front wheel in order for other wheel to turn the opposited way?

I guess I have to take it apart and check the front gear box...but let me ask you, is that normal for MF-01X?

Just got it taken apart, I thought it would take a lots of screws but I only needed to unscrew 13 screws to open the front gearbox.

Opening the diff up and checked it over, it looked ok and putting it back together and now the front diff rotates freely as what was expected of it, phew!

It is possible to get the two larger gears one tooth out of step with each other relative to the three little gears in the diff. Everything looks okay, but it binds when you tighten it down. Perhaps all it needed was a bit of realignment?

Has anyone found a better wheel tyre combo than the stock for the Jimny?? Everything just looks about 5mm too small for the arches as it stands

On 7/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, TurnipJF said:

It is possible to get the two larger gears one tooth out of step with each other relative to the three little gears in the diff. Everything looks okay, but it binds when you tighten it down. Perhaps all it needed was a bit of realignment?

Yes, I thought the same.

Just completed the body with stickers today and had a run with it...boy, it was flying! I did not anticipate it to be so fast on a stock set up!! Acceleration was very quick too. 

Even with rear diff locked, it is almost uncontrollable on slightly loose surface but it was a great fun, skidding/sliding it around.

I can now see the appeal of M chassis, is that to do with it being small and light?

DSC_0507_01.JPG

DSC_0504_01.JPG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, barnettgs said:

Yes, I thought the same.

Just completed the body with stickers today and had a run with it...boy, it was flying! I did not anticipate it to be so fast on a stock set up!! Acceleration was very quick too. 

Even with rear diff locked, it is almost uncontrollable on slightly loose surface but it was a great fun, skidding/sliding it around.

I can now see the appeal of M chassis, is that to do with it being small and light?

DSC_0507_01.JPG

DSC_0504_01.JPG

Indeed. Small, light and geared for speed. Great power to weight ratio, plus 4WD helps put the power down better than most M-chassis cars. An excellent little chassis IMO.

• Like 1

One last question - the holes next to the metal motor mounting plate, do these need to be covered?

I don't have many Tamiya wants these days (have overbought these last few years) but I do intend to pick one of these up one day, perhaps if Tamico have them on offer.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:22 PM, Wetman said:

Has anyone found a better wheel tyre combo than the stock for the Jimny?? Everything just looks about 5mm too small for the arches as it stands

Chinese 1.55" wheels and tyres on mine. They're not great, the foams are too small for the tyres and they're a nightmare to mount up, but it's the best combo I've found so far that looks right.

2020-07-18_09-52-04.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Chinese 1.55" wheels and tyres on mine. They're not great, the foams are too small for the tyres and they're a nightmare to mount up, but it's the best combo I've found so far that looks right.

2020-07-18_09-52-04.jpg

that looks a bit more like it