Rhino1977

Electrical Assistance please

My Hilux MR which I am trying to get back on the road after 20+ yrs has an original servo, futaba transmitter, crystal & receiver kit and ESC (speedmaster silver star) - when I plug in and give it some juice, the thing goes haywire and the steering triggers the throttle, there is no zero (neutral), etc. Any bets on whether it is the transmitter / receiver or ESC (assuming they are the likeliest candidates... I may wait for my new order car (Thursday I hope) and try to play around but not sure the power cables will all be the same, so may not be that easy - don't want to junk "good" parts. Thanks, R

Welcome back to the hobby.  If there is a way to reset the ESC, that's the first thing to try.  

If you have the old battery tray for 4 AA batteries, you can hook that up to see if the transmitter moves the steering servo.  ESC still plugs into the receiver, and they still use bullet connectors for the motor. So you should be able to connect the new ESC to test things.  

If the ESC is the problem, Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 is only about 18 US$ a piece.  And it can handle motors down to 12 turn. 

If the transmitter/receiver is the problem, Flysky GT3C costs about $50 USD.  It has the normal stuff like trim and servo reverse, but it also has exponential, dual rate and 3rd channel.  And it does not need 8 AA batteries.  It either comes with a LiPo battery for the transmitter for few more dollars, or it takes only 4 AA batteries.  (don't get GT3B, B version is an older one that uses 8 batteries--I didn't know that when I bought the GT3B)  

Just out of curiosity, which car arrives on Thursday?  

Thanks Juggular - I am getting an Aqroshot "for the kids". It is a week late, but two weeks sooner than the original delayed order (and cheaper). I have already started shopping for bits which I hope to be able to fiddle around with and get both cars running.

I messed around with better connectors back in the day to remove the Tamiya and those packs are dead, hence the slight problem with ESC connection! It also appears as though I secured it to the chassis "good and proper", so having an issue getting access LOL.

Feels slightly dangerous doing this with a little more than a few quid's pocket money...

I can also vouch for the Hobbywing Quicrun 1060, I have a couple and they are my go-to default esc for my Tamiyas. They come standard with a Tamiya battery plug, which saves you a bit of soldering, and they're practically plug-n-play. Just make sure you buy an original; apparently there are some knock-offs on ebay at "too good to be true" prices. Those are usually shipped without a box.