mman2005

What is the next thing on your to do list?

33 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

I wish I could say it was fun for me. :( I'm not afraid to admit that I get frustrated trying to figure things out sometimes

It's a bit of both for me, It's great to solve problems but sometimes when you've tried every obvious fix and something still doesn't work it can be maddening. 

I had it with an old Nikko Dictator I was working on a while back (yeah, I know, what a surprise, working on old toy grades :lol:)

I had binding in the gearbox despite swapping the plastic bushing for proper bearings. I tried adding shims which just seemed to make things worse. I tried leaving the gears out in the sun for several days because I had previously cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner and nylon can sometimes absorb moisture and expand slightly but no dice. I tried to see if there was any warping or irregularities in the gears but they were fine. I tried 3 different pinions just in case that was the problem but it had no effect.

The gears were butter smooth with the gearbox case open but when you put it together, they all became stiff and difficult to turn.

After pulling all my hair out and contemplating smashing the thing with a hammer, I decided to sleep on it.

The next day I had a thought out of nowhere to check the shaft the spur gear ran on, turns out with the gearbox halves assembled, the shaft could slide side to side slightly. The way the gearbox is assembled means there's a pinching force in the area of the spur gear and because the shaft wasn't quite wide enough, the two halves of the gearbox were able to go slightly concave, just enough to pinch on the bearings and make the spur gear stiff. All I had to do was put a little spacer on one side of the shaft to stop the gearbox halves pressing inward and suddenly, a kittens breath could make the spur gear spin!

It was a great feeling in the end but it got incredibly frustrating along the way!

Having the same issue with another vintage RC right at this moment. A Yonezawa Land Dash. All the teeth are smooth, no warping, all conform to the exact diameter they should be for their pitch (0.8m) and tooth count and yet when I close the gearbox case, sometimes they move freely and other times they are almost bound solid! There's no rhyme and reason to it that I can see. Sometimes just opening and closing the case randomly can make the problem disappear but then other times you can barely turn the wheels! Hopefully I can get my head around this one too! I hate binding gears, they sound bad, hog power and make motors way hotter.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, Carmine A said:

Oddly for me... The Lockdown has meant nothing to me, because sadly, I'm permanently Disabled. (I'm not crying about it, I've had 9 years to get used to it. MISS Work though) 😞 

Been in the Hobby for over 36 years. The past 10 years has primarily been RC Crawler/Scalers.

ANYWAY... I'm about to start a M05 Dirt and Street runner, going with grinding Chubs instead of getting M05 RA F parts. 

The big difference is - I couldn't afford a Kit. Disability Pay is nearly SQUAT. 😖

So, even though it WILL end up costing about as much as two Kits... I've been buying it PIECEMEAL! Tree by Tree, separate Hardware, Tires, Motor and Electronics, the lot! I just really want to get another M Chassis. I had a M03 Mini Cooper, but times got tough, and I was offered 3X what I paid for it. It was a FUN little ******! No unfavorable tendencies, just a joy to drive. 😁 I miss it.

I've nearly accumulated a complete Kit! I just still need - 17 - 19 turn Motor and 60/80A ESC, 20t Pinion, Wheels and Tires, and M05 RA Front Skidplates... OH, and the Diff Outdrive Cups (cannot find those ANYWHERE!) Then I should be good to go. 😉

(IF I can find a M Chassis Parts Bag A - that would solve so many smaller issues)

I'm using the Honda CRX Body from Tamiya. Here's a picture of some of the separate Parts... I've recently got Parts Trees D and F, Yeah Racing Aluminum Ball Raced Steering Bellcrank assy., YR Steel CVDs, Tamiya Carbon Reinforced Gear Set, Tamiya Diff Gear Set, full Stainless Steel Bearing Set, and Yeah Racing 55mm Aluminium Dampers. I'm very close!! 😉

At least this way, I'm not ending up with bits I DON'T need.

QUESTIONS: do Diff Outdrives from any other Car work?? They just need to fit the CVDs.

Are Screw Pins good enough, or should I also get the SS Suspension Pin set with the Jesus Clips??

Since I'm using CVDs, will the Stock Drive Cups work as Rear Stub Axles?? (It also seems that those rear Pin Axles are very hard to find as well) 

Are the Stock Diff Gears with a 20t Pinion an 17-19 turn Motor going to be pretty quick? NOT looking for lightning speed, not Pro Racing, just building quick, durable and Fun. 😉

I do look forward to Sharing this with all of you, and thank you for the help I've received so far!!! 😁👍👍

IMG_20200523_155336.jpg

IMG_20200521_222629.jpg

Are you using the splined or 0-holed diff gears? If going for the splined ones, these outdrives should work:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tamiya-Gearbox-Joint-For-Many-TL-01-TA-01-TA-02-M-02-M-03-M03-TL01-9805368/402278748887

SS pins are nice but screw pins work fine.

The standard front stub axles will work fine at the rear. You can dremel off the drive cups if you want to save a bit of weight, but you don't need to.

Stock gears and a 20t pinion on a 17  to 19t motor will be pretty quick. We used to race them on 27t motors and those were plenty exciting enough, so I don't think you'll find your car lacking in performance.

• Thanks 1

@Carmine A and @TurnipJF

I have those parts from the monster beetle left over. If they are any use? UK based though since international shipping would cost more than the parts :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mman2005 said:

I wish I could say it was fun for me. :( I'm not afraid to admit that I get frustrated trying to figure things out sometimes

absolutely. i get frustrated sometime as well. but i like to keep two projects going at once so i can take a break from one. honestly ive been messing with this car for years and cant seem to get it right. so i put it away do other rc projects and go back to it when i want.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, TurnipJF said:

Are you using the splined or D-holed diff gears? If going for the splined ones, these outdrives should work:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tamiya-Gearbox-Joint-For-Many-TL-01-TA-01-TA-02-M-02-M-03-M03-TL01-9805368/402278748887

SS pins are nice but screw pins work fine.

The standard front stub axles will work fine at the rear. You can dremel off the drive cups if you want to save a bit of weight, but you don't need to.

Stock gears and a 20t pinion on a 17  to 19t motor will be pretty quick. We used to race them on 27t motors and those were plenty exciting enough, so I don't think you'll find your car lacking in performance.

Thank you so much! You are a wealth of information for many on here. I had a feeling about the Speed. My old M03 Mini Cooper had a 21T Motor, I forgot the gearing, but it was a blast!! 😁 

I know several don't really appreciate it, and personally I don't like FWD Cars in 1:1 Scale...

But these FWD M Chassis Cars I find, are great fun!! Through "creative shimming", I increased the Caster in my M03. It tracked better, and overall was just far more controllable than any RWD RC Cars I've ever owned!! 

It had just enough understeer to be stable in hard cornering, and a little bit of Oversteer when lifting on the throttle. The whole experience was just so much fun! It's hard to explain to my friends who think 4WD is the only way to go...

I'll have to check my Diff, but I think it's got D-style inputs.

@Lee76 That's very generous of you! I do understand that International Shipping, especially in these times, is impractical. But I genuinely appreciate the offer!

BTW.... I finally started the Build Thread on this #@$&! Project!! It's in the Builds Section, waiting for approval. 

Now that I've actually STARTED, my excitement level definitely went UP!!

• Like 1

Update:

Great news! It turns out I don't really need to find and sort my DF03 spares as they had been stored in the kit box. I suprise myself sometimes :D

Still need to sort through remaining spares to see if there is anything I don't need.  Could do with an itinerary of DF03 spares as would like to see if I can do a shelfer unless anyone can think of a nice way of displaying shells.

• Like 1

Paint, and plenty of it.  I have four body shells trimmed but not painted yet.  Need to at least paint these before the weather gets cold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Paint, and plenty of it.  I have four body shells trimmed but not painted yet.  Need to at least paint these before the weather gets cold.

I feel your pain. I have 2 body shells trimmed with the 3 currently on the final stages of trimming, and they all need to be painted. I absolutely hate masking/spraying/stickering but they're not going to do themselves! :lol:

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to make any more to-do lists for hobby stuff. I've already accomplished a lot of my goals, and nowadays I just enjoy puttering around with things. My time is too structured in the other areas of my life for me to want to impose any constraints on my fun time. Looking at my inventory of RC stuff, I see lots of potential things I want to try, but nothing I'm absolutely dying to get done.

So I'll just go unstructured and free-flow with my RC time for a while, see where it takes me. If and when I get something finished, I'll share it...

• Like 2

Fit the Hop Ups to my Konghead when they arrive and some body post pads.

Maybe a little clean as well 😉

• Like 1