mman2005

What is the next thing on your to do list?

Good topic... but I have way too many projects to list. :D 

I think, for me, I only have one really important project right now (a "gateway" project if you will). I need to finish upgrading my Tevo Tornado 3D printer and get it back up and running again (it'll be the second or third time since the beginning of this lockdown). I can finally get on to printing RC oriented things after that. After all, it IS what I'd bought this thing for. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mman2005 said:

Think I've asked before but can't quite remember, did you do a build thread for all-wheel steer? Apologies if asked already 

Not sure I ever did, but I can cover it when I rebuild it. Basically just a mirror of the front-end, the servo mounting points are all the same. You can get an in-line servo reverse module, or do what I did and open up the servo casing and reverse the polarity of the wires. Guides are on YouTube.

It looks great but it's very prone to toppling. Be better with the wide arms, but you would need twice as many parts as the arms are different front-to-back.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Not sure I ever did, but I can cover it when I rebuild it. Basically just a mirror of the front-end, the servo mounting points are all the same. You can get an in-line servo reverse module, or do what I did and open up the servo casing and reverse the polarity of the wires. Guides are on YouTube.

It looks great but it's very prone to toppling. Be better with the wide arms, but you would need twice as many parts as the arms are different front-to-back.

Oh yeah, never thought about the 2 ends of the truck mirroring each other. Did you go with WW wheels and tyres because it is now all-wheel drive? 

2 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Good topic... but I have way too many projects to list. :D 

I think, for me, I only have one really important project right now (a "gateway" project if you will). I need to finish upgrading my Tevo Tornado 3D printer and get it back up and running again (it'll be the second or third time since the beginning of this lockdown). I can finally get on to printing RC oriented things after that. After all, it IS what I'd bought this thing for. :) 

I do love having a 3D printer now. I've got an anycubic i3 mega, although has been packed away whilst my brother-in-law lives with us. Took a fair bit of learning and I still hate leveling the bed. I have found that some parts aren't very strong, e.g. I made some post extensions and had to change the design to make them stronger as kept snapping on one of the holes if rolled. It's great printing a functional print.

I do love having a 3D printer now...

I still hate leveling the bed.

When it's working it definitely gives a feeling of awesomeness, doesn't it?

I'd just fitted, and tuned up, a BL Touch bed levelling sensor before I decided to mess with things again. Once it was tuned up properly it made printing so much easier.

… had to change the design to make them stronger as kept snapping on one of the holes if rolled.

Could adjusting the print orientation help? What material were you printing in?

46 minutes ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

When it's working it definitely gives a feeling of awesomeness, doesn't it?

I'd just fitted, and tuned up, a BL Touch bed levelling sensor before I decided to mess with things again. Once it was tuned up properly it made printing so much easier.

Could adjusting the print orientation help? What material were you printing in?

Yeah, you're probably right. I never thought of that. I might try doing a different orientation and seeing how they turn out. I wasn't expecting my to do list to get bigger off this thread :D

All I ended up doing was removing the holes that i was never going to use. Only use PLA as I already get irritated when 2 different colours print differently for the same design :lol:

I have some slightly smaller nozzles I need to try at some point as well. 

Tyre lettering for the Super Champ.

Run the Konghead.

Photogragh the Honda City Turbo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mman2005 said:

@Wooders28 - not liking the sound of the 1:1 wiring loom. What car are you working on? 

It's an old 2 gen TransAm, '81, ditched the 305 wheeze , and dumped in an '87 350 TPI /700r4 ,(would have preferred a manual, but, not many kicking about the uk) ,would have been an LS if I started it now, but started it 20yrs ago.......it's on the list. 🙄

• Like 2

Tech issues, multiple multiple posts...🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Tech issues, multiple multiple posts...🤷‍♂️

So... uh... Tech issues, huh? :D Wow that was a lot of double/multi posts. :o 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

So... uh... Tech issues, huh? :D Wow that was a lot of double/multi posts. :o 

Summit reply - click

Urm

Summit reply - click? 

......🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

A few now after purchasing Super Astute from Tamiya USA...

Find my two sets of TRF Dampers (off 501X and 201, these 2 have Big Bores)

Take out TTC in King Cab (will put it in SA)

Build SA when it arrives

Put Ampro parts and SA trans in King Cab.

Tweek and sort TB EVO.7

• Like 2

Finished my Thunder Dragon shelfer and runner drivers. That's 2 things off my list

20200521_132020

Still need to sticker the TD runner body and sticker my DF03 shell.

Also need to fit thrust bearings to my TD shelfer.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, highflyer said:

A few now after purchasing Super Astute from Tamiya USA...

Oh man couldn't find it anywhere else in stock?  That price is brutal, it's $100 less almost everywhere else....if you can find it.

• Sad 1

My to-do list includes freezing my credit card in a block of ice.  I recently bought and built a re-re blackfoot, tt-02 subaru WRC and have 3 kits in the mail right now, as well as the necessary bearing kits, servos, receivers, hop up parts.  Yikes.  Also had to replace the broken chassis on my son's dt-03 as well as the main gear as the motor loosened and chewed it up.  Never ends...

• Like 1

Ooh, we had one of these at the beginning of the year.  I remember back then going through all the stuff I could think of in my head and realising I had more stuff than I could ever finish.  Not that I made any plans to get rid of stuff, mind.  In fact since the start of the pandemic (and even before we were in lockdown proper) I have acquired a few new vehicles to add to the build pile, and I've still got stuff on my wishlist, like a Volvo A60H for my daughter, or possibly a cheaper home-made version using a toy dump truck as a donor, because she already has a fleet of (non-RC) construction vehicles that she loves to put stones in and push around the garden, and she always puts stones in my G6-01 Truck of Many Wheels when I'm trying to drive it around and have fun.

My projects are split up into Things I Can Do While Watching Disney Films With My Daughter and Things I Can Do When I Have Spare Time In The Workshop.

Also I'm trying to work on stuff based on what I can have fun with now (either in my garden as a finished project, or something I will really enjoy working on regardless of whether I get to run it or not).  So the lorry projects, while arguably the most fun to build, modify and customise, are probably the least likely to get an outing in the near future because virtually all lorry meets near me are indoors in confined spaces, therefore the least likely (along with indoor racing) to get the go-ahead from the government to resume and the most likely to be a risk factor to all who attend.  Also, IME, the lorry meets tend to have a higher percentage of older attendees and people with pre-existing health conditions.

The monster trucks are a lot of fun to work on but time-consuming - I can do a complete strip and rebuild of another car in my single free day every week, but custom-building a monster truck from a CAD design and some plates of FR4 could take 2-3 days, after which I can't drive them anyway.

The race car builds are less time-consuming and I can get a lot done on my free day, and also work on them when I'm looking after my daughter, but they're not so fulfilling (they're mostly just box builds) and there's less chance of being able to run them in anger for a long while.

Off the top of my head, and in absolutely no order whatsoever, depending on time, parts, whether I'm in the house or workshop, mood, weather...

TA02 Celica Rally

• Cut, mask and paint body
  • Sort out decal designs and print on sticker paper
  • Apply decals
  • Photoshoot and showroom entry

KBF-bodied CC01 trail truck

• Sand and polish clear rear lenses (briefly started on Sunday, this is going to take an age)
  • Custom-make backing plate for rear lenses (or contact AMPro direct and ask for the 3D file because Shapeways refuse to print it for me)
  • Consider adding more black or yellow detailing to the body
  • Apply a variety of decals
  • Dig out my old Arduino MFU software and convert it to a simple active lighting unit
  • Solder up an Arduino mini or micro and fit to body along with LEDs
  • Photoshoot, showroom entry and possibly a light run along the trails if it seems appropriate to go out with it

Pole Trailer Rigid Conversion

• Mount trailer legs kindly supplied by @topforcein
  • Somehow work out how to mount micro servos into legs to operate a raise/lower mechanism
  • Work out how to operate micro servos on Beier IR trailer module from Beier SFR-1 in tractor truck
  • Finalise, re-assemble, photoshoot and showroom entry

Globe Liner

• Convert ultra-long WAV file of a Detroit Diesel driving around Germany into a set of audio files for SFR-1
  • Load audio files into SFR-1 and program them to give a realistic driving sound
  • Mount the IR LED diode under the 5th wheel
  • Connect a micro servo to the stock 5th wheel release mechanism
  • Configure the SFR-1 to allow remote operation of the 5th wheel release
  • Tidy wiring loom to improve interior space
  • Investigate reduced steering lock issue (probably SFR-1 configuration)
  • Prep, paint and mount interior and driver
  • Make some new roof lights (or take roof lights from another kit) and mount

Clod Buster Rebuild

• Get my newly-designed TVP plates made by Fibre Lyte
  • Mount '84 Ford body
  • Design truck name and associated decals
  • Print decals at home or sent to MCI
  • Prep, paint, decal and fit body

Super Astute

• Finish assembly
  • Prep and paint body
  • Fit electrics
  • Design and print decals
  • Apply decals

Desert Fielder

• Locate unpainted body, clean, mask and paint
  • Fit decals
  • Work out how to mount cleanly and invisibly on Manta Ray shock towers

Grand Hauler NIB

• Chop body into day cab
  • Assemble chassis in basic trim without cosmetic parts
  • Rebuild TLT-1 axle and diff in open trim
  • Fit TLT-1 axle to stock leaf springs
  • Make cranked steering rod to connect steering servo to TLT-1 axle
  • Relocate gearbox to allow clearance for front prop
  • Test-fit tipper bed
  • Fit tipper mechanism
  • Reassemble chassis with MFU-01 and cosmetic parts
  • Make rear closing panel for day cab
  • Paint and fit day cab
  • Fit tipper bed and connect to MFU-01 trailer leg channel

DF03Ra

• New addition to the fleet.  Order a new rally body and possibly electrics when June's budget comes into play
  • Paint and fit new rally body
  • Design decals and print
  • Apply decals

MST RMX 2.0S

• Trim and mount Tamiya 240z body
  • Mask, paint and detail 240z body
  • Consider 3D printing some arch extensions and other scale goodness
  • Make up an Arduino lighting unit, fit to body with LEDs
  • Reassemble, photoshoot and showroom entry

TB01 Rally

• Source a suitable rally body
  • Mask and paint body
  • Consider ordering new electrics or source suitable electrics from my parts bin
  • Source narrow hexes to fit Tamiya wheels OR
  • Source some suitable wheels OR
  • Design and print some rally wheels
  • Reassemble, photoshoot and showroom update

SCX10 G6 Class 2 Scale Rig

Considering small local scale events are possibly the first type of event we'll be safe to do under social distancing and without exposing ourselves to significant risk, this one really should be at the top of the list.  But for some reason it isn't, the box has remained buried at the bottom of a pile of boxes since long before lockdown and I've had no desire to pull it out, probably because I'm afraid I'll wish I'd bought an SCX10 III instead of the SMT-10 that I bought just before lockdown

• Prep, mask and paint Cherokee body
  • Reassemble all parts and check clearance
  • Design and print decals
  • Apply decals

Budget Bruiser Class 1 Scale Rig

• General once-over and tidy up in advance of a possible new crawling season later this year
  • Fit new bearing kit and reassemble
  • Fix the light switch issue or junk it for new / custom Arduino build

M03 MWB Rally Car

• Source a Swift rally body
  • Paint and fit body
  • Apply decals to body
  • Photoshoot and showroom update

FF01 Iconic Cup Race Car

• Fit turnbuckles
  • Once-over and tidy up
  • Setup on setup deck
  • Fit L&L Accord body
  • Prep and paint body
  • Apply decals

FF02 Iconic Cup Race Car

• Fit L&L Accord body
  • Fit electrics and test-run in garden
  • Locate some high-quality shocks that fit
  • Setup on setup deck
  • Design decals and print
  • Prep and paint body
  • Apply decals

Drag King (King Hauler single-axle lowrider / drag truck)

• Not even sure where to begin on this one...  Lockdown could last another 3 years and I probably still won't have it finished

Bruder Low Loader Trailer

• Acquire and fit Beier IR trailer module and LEDs
  • Design system for raising and lowering stock Bruder support legs
  • Modify one of my not-to-scale RC boats into 1:14 scale OR
  • Acquire another 1:14 scale car, boat or monster truck to go on the trailer OR
  • Finish my Drag King project to go on the trailer

CC01 Hopup vs Homebrew Dual Project

• Take both rigs out to a local test site for side-by-side comparison of the latest updates
  • Make custom 4-link for Homebrew
  • Fit Junfac 4-link kit to Hopup
  • Take both rigs out to a local test site for side-by-side comparison of the latest updates
  • Modify Homebrew to have the 4-link kit hidden inside the chassis to improve ground clearance and reduce chance of catching on things; fit Junfac centre skid plate to Hopup
  • Design some craft beer style logos for Hopup and Homebrew
  • Print craft beer style logos
  • Apply decals, photoshoot and update showroom entries

MAN TGX

• Acquire and fit a Beier SFR-1 to replace the MFU-03
  • Rewire entire cab with new LEDs
  • Find some good MAN V8 sounds to go in the SFR-1
  • Consider finishing the generator that I started making to house the electrics behind the cab
  • Make a hidden internal cab tilt mechanism
  • Paint and fit the interior and driver
  • Fill some stock holes in the body and repaint
  • Fit the new steering axle (forget if it's a Carson or HH but it has more lock, less play and a convincing lean angle on the wheels)
  • Refit the standard 5th wheel with an IR LED underneath
  • Connect a micro servo to the 5th wheel release mechanism

MAN Race Trailer

• Fit a Beier IR trailer light module and all LEDs
  • Rig up the remote trailer legs to function off the IR module
  • Build a full scale interior complete with lights switchable from the IR module
  • Add some exterior lights
  • Add a sleeper over the back of the TGS
  • Add some windows and an opening door
  • Refinish and repaint the entire thing

HH Flatbed Trailer

• Acquire and fit Beier IR module and LEDs
  • Modify legs to operate remotely as per Pole Trailer (above)
  • Rebuild and fit a scale load

Scania R420 Orange Edition NIB

• Decide if I want to acquire the parts I looted to install the single rear axle as per box, OR
  • Acquire new chassis rails and build is as a 6x4 rigid or tractor OR
  • Acquire new chassis rails and build is as an 8x4 heavy hauler
  • Decide if I want to build it as a tractor (and therefore purchase and fit a Beier SFR-1 to work with my trailers) OR
  • Build it as a box truck and fit the spare MFU-03 out of the MAN TGX

G6-01 Truck of Many Wheels

• Fit plasticard under the vintage used KBF body to hide the gap between body and chassis
  • Decide if I want to strip, clean and paint the pre-loved and much-used body, or just leave it unpainted as a rough and ready basher
  • Finish painting black details on body

SMT-10 NIB

• Acquire a full haul of electrics worthy of a low-spec race rig
  • Acquire a SWB (12.9 or 12.5) conversion kit with sway bars
  • Acquire a suitable Ford body for a mid-teens monster / race truck
  • Assemble the whole cabundle into a proper race rig
  • Trim and paint body
  • Come up with a name and design decals worthy of a racing truck, and have them printed
  • Apply decals

Xray T4F 2019

• Once-over and rebuild
  • Source a 17.5 blinky system
  • Fit all electrics
  • Consider an attractive new FWD touring body
  • Setup on the Hudy deck
  • Join Cotswold Model Car Club
  • Go to some practice / race days

TL-01LA

• Fit basic ESC
  • Test-run in the garden prior to some possible Iconic racing
  • Test-run on a practice session at Cotswold
  • Stick on Hudy deck to work out why it's twitchy as badword
  • Reinforce Skyline body where I damaged it last night

Wiltzgard Rallycross Championship

• Finish designing all car decals
  • Finish designing track barrier decals
  • Have all decals printed
  • Add decals to all rally cars
  • Make track barriers
  • Run a one-day garden rallycross championship, probably involving me driving 4 different cars on my own

And there's more besides.

Software

Besides the Arduino stuff mentioned above, I need to tidy up my CarManager database and get it to a workable state on my new laptop so I can catalog all my cars again, and start managing my ToDo lists and my Purchase lists more effectively

Workshop

• Continue my weekly Saturday Night Tidy-up Hour until the whole place is respectable and everything is where I can get at it
  • Find a space for the bandsaw
  • Remove the log burner (which is rarely used) and fit another workbench / tool bench in its place
  • Pull down all my cars, catalog them, photo them, put them away where they're all accessible
  • Purchase some storage boxes so they're all nicely stored and not sitting in the dust unprotected or sitting in old Tamiya kit boxes where I can't see what they are
  • Do a video with commentary of my workshop and storage area in case anyone is interested in seeing how my fleet is stored and where it's worked on

Studio

• Fit the shelving rack that I reluctantly spent £70 on this month so I can start displaying my cars again
  • Tidy it all up and do a photoshoot
  • And a video

To be honest there is probably more I could add here, things keep coming into my mind and I add them on the bottom, including stuff I know I'm actively working on right now and stuff in the To Build pile that I keep forgetting I've got.  A huge amount of the stuff above has got "acquire" written in it; if I was to list out all the things I need to acquire I'm probably looking at way more than my spare RC budget for the rest of 2020.  In fact with all the lorry electrics, the power systems for the race cars and the servos, receivers and ESCs I'll need even for the basic cars, I'm probably way beyond my budget for the next three years.  So in that respect lockdown could go on forever and I'd still not be finished.

I hope it doesn't though, it would be nice to actually go out and run some of these cars at meets before I get too old to go out of my front door for fear of become another number on the daily stats update.

Stay safe, stay strong and stay building, peeps :)

• Like 4

@Mad Ax that is quite a list! Home this thread helps you park and keep track of the list until you get things set up in the new laptop. Nice thing with the above list is that you have quite a selection. 

I just managed to create an item for my list and instantly complete it. Managed to drop my Thunder Dragon off a chair and snapped a wheel hub. Luckily had my spares out at the time. Nice quick win :D

• Like 1

I've got a buggy wing to now paint and sticker to match the shell that I've done.

Hmmm...having slept on it :blink: and looking at it in new light, I'm not sure i like the stickers on this, in particular the ones on the top, but not sure what to do instead. Any thoughts (positive or negative) would be appreciated

20200522_074434

14 hours ago, mman2005 said:

I just managed to create an item for my list and instantly complete it.

I quite like lists.  I make lists for everything.  Google Keep is great for keeping lists (and even share them).  My wife and I even share a shopping list and meal plan with it.  Only problem is it's blocked at work so I have to use it on my mobile phone...

The best thing about lists is, if you do something that isn't on your list, the first thing you do once you've done the thing, is add it to your list and then immediately tick it off.  It makes it feel like two wins instead of one :)

• Like 1