mman2005

What is the next thing on your to do list?

I'm not providing updates because the amount of progress is terrible compared to others here :unsure::)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've changed my mind on running the 2nd Super Champ, so that will go on eBay this Sunday after my last remaining auction has finished.

So my list is now-

1. List the Super Champ for sale.

2. Fit replacement drive shaft and cup to the Konghead

3. Fit my new radio set to the Konghead.

4. Take the Konghead for a blast in the woods.

5. Keep my hands in my pockets.... the most important thing on my list :lol:

99F3493C-EED7-4B08-B98F-FA5D476CAA9D.thumb.jpeg.a3f9f7d6b70ca943f014562afc54419d.jpeg Having been furloughed for June and needing a break from DIY, I spent a day putting one of my Sand Rovers together. A very satisfying day.

I went through my spares picking the best parts to get this one as near perfect as possible.

Just the body work to go, so hopefully this one will get finished.

🤞

Cheers Al

• Like 3

Right, so new item added to the list:

Check DF03 slipper clutch as I seem to have more much more power to the front wheels than the back. Not very even acceleration :blink: getting wheel spin on front and wearing the front tyres quicker. 

@mman2005 check the rear diff isn't slipping. The Df03 rear diff is notorious for this. Too much slippage can melt the out drives. There was a hardened out drive hopup but not sure if its easy to find these days 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been quite a while since I did an update, and I've had an interesting few weeks in the workshop.  I guess I haven't updated that much since I don't feel like I've made that much progress.  In the early days of lockdown I was working on big chunky projects that required the chopping and shaping of alu sheet and steel allthread.  However over the past few weeks that has changed to fiddly wiring jobs, fitting of electrics, cutting bodies and (more than I'd like), tidying up the workspace so I can get stuff done.

I've just proved the point by flicking through the list and ticking off a few things - way fewer things than I'd expect to tick off given it's been 3 workshop days since my last update - and have also managed to add a few more bits on.

But - that aside - while this weekend might not have represented the most productive in terms of making custom chassis or designing automated systems or finishing something well enough to go on the self, I did manage to do a number of the type of minor admin jobs that I usually end up rushing to do the week before a big event.  I fitted a 17.5 brushless setup and new Savox servo to my recently-acquired T4F race car in advance of some possible local racing taking place in July, and also got some electrics installed in my FF02.  I still need to change the motor and shocks and get it set up on the deck before any racing happens but I have some more investigation to do before then.  The FF01 was given a brief look over, looks like it's all good to go and doesn't need anything.  My TL01LA needs an ESC installed but otherwise is ready to race.  All 3 of these will be eligible for the Iconic class at this summer's TORC, which is my reserve option for going racing if nothing local comes up.

Then I even had a few minutes to finish the home-made 4-link setup for my CC01.  Words and pics to follow later this week when I have time to sort it all out properly.

Here's to next weekend, and another long day of locking myself in the workshop and forgetting about the problems of the real world for 10 hours.

• Like 2

I’ve been very Tamiya lazy for about 3 weeks or so, but my plan is to fit my new radio gear to my Konghead and give it a run soon. 

I’m 2 runs away from knowing whether my NiMH batteries are retrievable, sadly I think they will need replacing which I’ll do next month. 

• Like 1

My Blitzer Beetle arrives today :D 

Not sure when I'll make a start on it though. Probably take my Hopper out for a spin later though as it's charged and ready to roll. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’ve been very Tamiya lazy for about 3 weeks or so, but my plan is to fit my new radio gear to my Konghead and give it a run soon. 

I’m 2 runs away from knowing whether my NiMH batteries are retrievable, sadly I think they will need replacing which I’ll do next month. 

I do much prefer the cost/capacity of nimh batteries nowadays compared to 20/30 years ago so not too painful hopefully. I'm pretty sure I've got one on its way out as well. Weird as it's the same age as the others but seems to run down a lot quicker 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Need a new list -

1. Undo the lower links on the trail rig, bolt on the sliders and re-fit the lower links 

2. Fit the battery hangers

and that is it for the trail rig until more parts arrive at the end of the month

3. finish the M05-RA - steps 20 (steering shaft), 23-25, 27-31

4. Trim and paint the skid and side guards for the M05-RA

5. Trim and paint the body for the M05-RA

and maybe one day take a look at that Tamco radio.

• Like 1

Refreshed list:

1. Fit coloured wheel nuts to lads WT01 and DF03.

2. Fit damper rods on the Thunder Dragon shelfer and the runner to avoid A5 parts cracking.

3. 3D print a display stand I've designed. Tweak for different required heights.

4. Ponder some more about whether I can justify DF03 shock upgrade for my Dark Impact.

5. Dismantle rear of DF03 and investigate issues.

6. Still need to sort all parts out :unsure:

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, Mad Ax said:

@mman2005 check the rear diff isn't slipping. The Df03 rear diff is notorious for this. Too much slippage can melt the out drives. There was a hardened out drive hopup but not sure if its easy to find these days 

No need for hardened outdrives. Just put additional front outdrives in the back, they're all-metal so they're naturally tougher than the half plastic ones that originally come in the rear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

No need for hardened outdrives. Just put additional front outdrives in the back, they're all-metal so they're naturally tougher than the half plastic ones that originally come in the rear.

I think there might be something else that isn't right. Need to do some research on DF03 as when the rear is in the air and I roll it along by hand on front wheels only, the rear wheels move as well. When the front is in the air and I roll it along by hand on back wheels only, the front wheels don't move at all. Doesn't seem right to me.

43 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

I think there might be something else that isn't right. Need to do some research on DF03 as when the rear is in the air and I roll it along by hand on front wheels only, the rear wheels move as well. When the front is in the air and I roll it along by hand on back wheels only, the front wheels don't move at all. Doesn't seem right to me.

One way diff?  Installed the wrong way round?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

One way diff?  Installed the wrong way round?

No haven't got a one way diff. Just out of the box parts. OK, so you agree that it is a problem as well . Yes perhaps the wrong way around. Will take a look. Thank you for your help. It's been doing my head in and I don't really know what I'm doing :lol:

1 minute ago, mman2005 said:

No haven't got a one way diff.

Then something is definitely out of place.  Does it make a difference if you roll it forwards or backwards with either end in the air?  Is there any graunching / grinding / clicking of gears when moving it around like this?  If there's a missing bearing in the front bevel gear it might lock onto the teeth when under forward load but lift away under reverse load (or coasting), or something like that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Then something is definitely out of place.  Does it make a difference if you roll it forwards or backwards with either end in the air?  Is there any graunching / grinding / clicking of gears when moving it around like this?  If there's a missing bearing in the front bevel gear it might lock onto the teeth when under forward load but lift away under reverse load (or coasting), or something like that.

I'll let you know. Hopefully will get a chance over the weekend to provide a run down whilst pushing it around and moving the wheels manually. It's hard sometimes with this hobby if you don't have something to compare it to in front of me. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, Badcrumble said:

Need a new list -

1. Undo the lower links on the trail rig, bolt on the sliders and re-fit the lower links 

2. Fit the battery hangers

and that is it for the trail rig until more parts arrive at the end of the month

3. finish the M05-RA - steps 20 (steering shaft), 23-25, 27-31

4. Trim and paint the skid and side guards for the M05-RA

5. Trim and paint the body for the M05-RA

and maybe one day take a look at that Tamco radio.

Managed to complete most of 3 - body posts need fitting.

Should have listed ‘remove dampers from trail rig’ - rear ones off so far and the replacements have been built.

Battery hangers have been assembled but not fitted.

So...the list is still 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mman2005 said:

I'll let you know. Hopefully will get a chance over the weekend to provide a run down whilst pushing it around and moving the wheels manually. It's hard sometimes with this hobby if you don't have something to compare it to in front of me. 

Try holding one of the rears, and turn the other, if the motor turns, the diff could be ok, if it doesn't, pull the diff.

Real easy to do, pop the turnbuckles and pull the driveshafts, then think it's only 6 screws, 2 for the rear bumper thing (?) ,then the 4 for the diff casing, and it falls out! 

(Almost like tamiya thought we'd be having to pull it alot....)

• Thanks 1

Well, no update from me as I haven't had a chance to look at the dark impact running gear and haven't been able charge my batteries for another session. Perhaps having too many interests plays a part in this. 

I did have a chance on my lunch hour to play around with making a miniature Thunder Dragon kit box.  

I haven't been working quite as quickly as I was back at the start of lockdown, in fact I think as we gradually get more freedoms I find myself less inclined to do anything now on the basis that a) if the government's scientific advisors are right, I'll have more freedom to do whatever I want over the next couple of months or 2) if the government's advisors are wrong, I'll be back in lockdown before the year is out with plenty of time to crack on and finish some of these projects, so why rush now?  Of course this kind of "should I, shouldn't I" mentally is likely tied in with a kind of apathetic symptom of underlying low-key mental ill health and should probably be considered poor mental hygiene.

With that in mind, on Sunday morning I stopped procrastinating, sat outside in the glorious sunshine and set about the long, laborious process of masking my RCon Siren body and still had time to throw 4 different paint colours on it before I turned my attention to my Truck of Many Wheels project, which got an underbody box to hide the chassis gap, and a fresh coat of paint.

• Like 3

Oddly for me... The Lockdown has meant nothing to me, because sadly, I'm permanently Disabled. (I'm not crying about it, I've had 9 years to get used to it. MISS Work though) 😞 

Been in the Hobby for over 36 years. The past 10 years has primarily been RC Crawler/Scalers.

ANYWAY... I'm about to start a M05 Dirt and Street runner, going with grinding Chubs instead of getting M05 RA F parts. 

The big difference is - I couldn't afford a Kit. Disability Pay is nearly SQUAT. 😖

So, even though it WILL end up costing about as much as two Kits... I've been buying it PIECEMEAL! Tree by Tree, separate Hardware, Tires, Motor and Electronics, the lot! I just really want to get another M Chassis. I had a M03 Mini Cooper, but times got tough, and I was offered 3X what I paid for it. It was a FUN little ******! No unfavorable tendencies, just a joy to drive. 😁 I miss it.

I've nearly accumulated a complete Kit! I just still need - 17 - 19 turn Motor and 60/80A ESC, 20t Pinion, Wheels and Tires, and M05 RA Front Skidplates... OH, and the Diff Outdrive Cups (cannot find those ANYWHERE!) Then I should be good to go. 😉

(IF I can find a M Chassis Parts Bag A - that would solve so many smaller issues)

I'm using the Honda CRX Body from Tamiya. Here's a picture of some of the separate Parts... I've recently got Parts Trees D and F, Yeah Racing Aluminum Ball Raced Steering Bellcrank assy., YR Steel CVDs, Tamiya Carbon Reinforced Gear Set, Tamiya Diff Gear Set, full Stainless Steel Bearing Set, and Yeah Racing 55mm Aluminium Dampers. I'm very close!! 😉

At least this way, I'm not ending up with bits I DON'T need.

QUESTIONS: do Diff Outdrives from any other Car work?? They just need to fit the CVDs.

Are Screw Pins good enough, or should I also get the SS Suspension Pin set with the Jesus Clips??

Since I'm using CVDs, will the Stock Drive Cups work as Rear Stub Axles?? (It also seems that those rear Pin Axles are very hard to find as well) 

Are the Stock Diff Gears with a 20t Pinion an 17-19 turn Motor going to be pretty quick? NOT looking for lightning speed, not Pro Racing, just building quick, durable and Fun. 😉

I do look forward to Sharing this with all of you, and thank you for the help I've received so far!!! 😁👍👍

IMG_20200523_155336.jpg

IMG_20200521_222629.jpg

Part of my fun is learning how to diagnose issues with my cars. Think its time to seriously figure out why my DB01RRR is never what i want it to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnsllc said:

Part of my fun is learning how to diagnose issues with my cars. Think its time to seriously figure out why my DB01RRR is never what i want it to be. 

I wish I could say it was fun for me. :( I'm not afraid to admit that I get frustrated trying to figure things out sometimes

• Like 2