Sign in to follow this  
Finnsllc

Part tree discontinued

14 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

@Mokei Kagaku I do believe my first comment was based on Tamiya showing it discontinued. If they are discontinuing parts that’s a problem. 

That's fair enough, but there is a significant difference between Tamiya Japan and Tamiya as a manufacturer stating an item to be discontinued and a Tamiya distributor doing the same. In all fairness, TUSA is as far as I know a full subsidiary of Tamiya and not an independent company like most Tamiya distributors are. So I think it would be fair to expect a bit more from TUSA in terms of quality of information, knowledge and even enthusiasm for the products. Unfortunately, TUSA is a far cry from Tamiya Japan.

I've been working continously on a "database" on Tamiya products for almost 40 years and it has become a major hobby I spend quite some time on. The "database" will never get complete and my effort to get knowledge about which information sources to trust and not will never end. Still, based on a little experience during these years, of which I worked 17 years for a Tamiya distributor myself, I would recommend to never fully trust information from shops or distributors.

There are some really good ones out there, but the majority are mostly or solely in it for the money only and don't share the general enthusiasm or emphasis on details of Tamiya enthusiasts. Also, I fully appreciate why most shops and distributors can't possibly understand the fanatism of diehard enthusiasts and the significance we put on and the time we spend discussing tiny details about for instance products that were discontinued 40+ years ago and why it's important for us to get solid facts regardless of what it takes.

In my humble opinion, Tamiya Japan is the only true source of information although they occassionally get it wrong too. Shops and distributors are only compliments, ranging from very good to useless.

16 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

so these take the place of the plastic diff part i fried? if, im ordering asap

Yes makes a huge difference

58 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

@Mokei Kagaku also. I’m in USA. So it can be tough over here to get parts without waiting weeks to get them and pay high shipping. But thank u for the links. I do believe my first comment was based on Tamiya showing it discontinued. If they are discontinuing parts that’s a problem. 

The dn01 was discontinued, i think it was well over a year ago. Funny how no one wanted one years ago  now people realized it blows all tamiya Non trf  2wd options away. Im glad people are buying it i always like the body which people also crapped on. Someone posted tamiya was re releasing it months ago which i find hard to believe. Any truth to that?

49 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

The dn01 was discontinued, 

Possibly in certain export markets, but it has not been discontinued by Tamiya. 58477 Zahhak is still in the latest Tamiya 2020 Volume 1 RC Line-Up catalog (# 64426). A catalog that was released early this year and which apparently isn't even in stock yet in some countries (still announced as "coming soon" and with similar phrases).  The R/C Line-Up catalog is released twice a year  by Tamiya Japan and gets meticulously updated.

I'm not claiming that the catalog is necessarily 100% flawless or that Tamiya Japan never makes mistakes, but Tamiya Japan is definitely a much more credible source of information than any shop or distributor.

• Like 1

If anyone has a set of the metal outdrives in the UK or EU for the DN01 (or DB01 Durga for that matter) PM me as I'm after them.

I deviated from spec and like the Durga glued the plastics to the diff plates. Figure that might reduce the chances of slip between them and associated friction damage. Will come apart with a dunk in some acetone.