Banana man

TT02 Type S - hop ups

Hi all,

Very excited to (hopefully) be getting my Type S through the door tomorrow......

Since the lock down my love of ALL THINGS Tamiya has gone through the roof. If all started 30 plus years ago with the holiday buggy.

Now I am a proud owner of 2 TT02's, a F103GT (my fav) and the Type S from tomorrow (woohoo). 

Sorry, rabbiting, question is, what are the best Hop ups to further improve the performance of the car? And where to get them? HK i take it and wait months....

Cheers and thanks 

D

• Like 1

The type s is pretty good out the  box especially as it has bearings. It can be improved even further in terms of durability with a steel pinion, alloy motor mount, alloy propshaft and gearbox drive cups, and the alloy steering set and steering bridge.

The steering parts especially if used in conjunction with the high torque servo saver really improve it.

Knowing where in the world you are will help advising where best to get parts.

Thanks kindly for the reply. There are a few options then...

Ideally, I want to start racing at the local circuit once this is all over, so looking for better quality racing up grades. 

Is Tamico worth a punt? Everywhere else is out of stock. 

I'm suffolk based.

Cheers 

Yes Tamico is worth a punt but postage is very costly. I think the cheapest uk postage is normally about 13 euros even if the part you are buying is tuppance.

Tony's tamiya parts on ebay is normally my first port of call. He seems to send everything via a magic carpet as almost all orders arrive next day.

And tap up the guy below who is in the uk and currently has the steering parts in the trades section.

• Thanks 1

If I may piggy-back on this thread, since the response may be of some value to the OP:

Does the type-s come with carbon fibre shock towers? I ask because I came across CF shock towers on ebay that are specifically labelled as "TT02 Type S carbon fibre shock tower", as if to imply that it's maybe a spare part, and not actually a hop up for the type-s? (Since a part like this would be compatible with any TT02, and not just the Type-S)

I have one coming in the mail as well (one day), and I'd like to order them if they're not supplied in the kit.

Cheers,

Kamal

They are FRP in the type s kit. I think the only advantage of the carbon ones is they look like carbon if thats your bag. The stock FRP ones are about 3mm thick, very stiff and lightweight as they are and I cant see how much of a performance improvement the carbon ones would have apart from being a whisker of a miligram lighter possibly.

The type s FRP ones are much better than the stock tt02 plastic mounts so the carbon ones  would also be a hop up for these.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

(Since a part like this would be compatible with any TT02, and not just the Type-S)

The Type S uses different suspension arms to the standard TT-02 models, and since the upper inboard ends attach to the shock towers, this means that the shock towers are different too. You can see the difference straight away when comparing them side by side. The carbon upgrade towers for the standard TT-02 have large holes to accommodate the broad plastic hinge pins while the Type S ones have little 3mm holes for bolts and ball links. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Yes Tamico is worth a punt but postage is very costly. I think the cheapest uk postage is normally about 13 euros even if the part you are buying is tuppance.

Tony's tamiya parts on ebay is normally my first port of call. He seems to send everything via a magic carpet as almost all orders arrive next day.

And tap up the guy below who is in the uk and currently has the steering parts in the trades section.

Thanks for the link-in @Superluminal

@Banana man both steering parts are available and ready to ship...priced the same as Tamico, but with 1st Class postage included ;) PM me if you're interested

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies guys. 

I will look into what you have suggested. 

Need to save some pennies first.....

It arrived........BOOM :)